When you hit a note really hard, it buzzes up by the Nut, especially the A string. It makes me think the strings aren't snug enough......and this is standard gauge, flatwounds on my fretless.
STUFF
MOD Contest Group
Resisting the Urge to Fap since 8/11/08
However, I lost in 3 days.
Quote by Hobolad

Guns don't help defense, they make you more vulnerable if anything. Said this a lot already

have you ever gotten your bass a proper set-up? 'cause if not, that's probably the problem. the truss rod may need adjustment as well as the bridge (Depending on the type of bridge)...
take the bass guitar to a local guitar shop that you know and trust and get them to do a proper set-up on it if it has never been done
Lyrics: Time wasted between solos.

After a mindboggling 3-hour Steve Vai concert, I had to listen to some brainless guitar playing... so I put on Nevermind...

Jesus Rocks!
your always gonna get some buzzin as long as its not bad done worrie about it
Im gonna pistol whip the next guy that says shenanigans !!!!
Quote by derekwalden_-33
Mine does it on the bridge, because I have my action set too low.

Maybe your nut slots are too big for your strings?

That's what I was thinking, but these are standard gauge, and I don't see why it wouldn't be standard size........

And to the guy who recommended a proper set up, how much about would it be, ballpark range?
STUFF
MOD Contest Group
Quote by Hobolad

Guns don't help defense, they make you more vulnerable if anything. Said this a lot already

my A string does it, it usually has something to do with the nut or not having the string wrapped around enough
^I've already cut the ends of my strings
I usually dont play with a really heavy attack, but went I hit it hard, it buzzes. argh >.<
STUFF
MOD Contest Group
Quote by Hobolad

If your bass is a P or J copy or anything with a flat headstock and no tree for the A string I guarantee its because the string isn't wound low enough.

Edit- It could also be the nut like fleajr said, either cut too wide or too deep, if it is too deep and you cant get to a shop or afford a new nut, you can temporarily fix it by shimming under the nut in the slot with strips of business card cut to fit.
Gear:

Fender Mexi Fat Strat
2005 Taylor 614ce

Fender MIM J-Bass Fretless
Last edited by FenderKid87 at Aug 8, 2008,
You need to adjust the relief on the neck. Mess with the trussrod until you find something you like.
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
Its not gonna be a truss rod problem if its buzzing coming from the nut now is it? And should never just 'mess' around with the truss rod, its very sensitive, and you could over do it and bam! your truss rod has gone.

TS, I would suggest trying a thicker gauge string. I fit stops when you put it on, then it'll be that the nut is too wide, and the string isn't snug enough. If thats the case, then take it to a the shop where you bought it from and if its still under guarantee then the tech will take a look at it and maybe put a new nut in for free.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Last edited by fleajr_1412 at Aug 8, 2008,
It's buzzing on the fingerboard. I had that problem with one of my old starter basses.

By mess around, I was implying to make quarter turns periodically until it gets to a decent relief.
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
Quote by bassnguitar
When you hit a note really hard, it buzzes up by the Nut,

I think it would be the nut otherwise it would be buzzing all other places on the fretboard if it was the neck.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by FenderKid87
If your bass is a P or J copy or anything with a flat headstock and no tree for the A string I guarantee its because the string isn't wound low enough.

You hit the nail on the head. It's a jazz.
How would I go about fixing this?
STUFF
MOD Contest Group
Quote by Hobolad

mine did it yesterday, upon investigation of the nut the G-A slots were smooth and the E slot was massacred, hence i got a new nut
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Well, I've been frustratingly trying to remove the buzz, and while I have reduced it, It is still there. And I cannot put the string any lower.......I'm lost.
STUFF
MOD Contest Group
Quote by Hobolad

You might just have to buy a single replacement for the A. It'll be like 10 bucks.

Make sure you wind it as low as possible, almost down to the bushing if you can.
Gear:

Fender Mexi Fat Strat
2005 Taylor 614ce

Quote by CJ Noble
You need to adjust the relief on the neck. Mess with the trussrod until you find something you like.

The truss not is not a majic action wand. You should only adjust the truss rod to fix relief or back bow problems. The problem may be in the truss rod, but never tell someone whos not sure what there doing to "mess with the trussrod."

My guess is that its a problem with the action, which can be adjusted at the bridge. But that can potentially throw off your intonation. So unless you have a bit of an idea what your doing, Id just take it in.
Ya, mine does it too sometimes, mostly E or A string, I think it might be the strings.

Then again, it could be my guitar, it sucks.
Well, I've realized the problem is a design flaw in the jazz bass. ThHey really need to make a G-D-A tree.

So, I may buy a different, lower, A tuner.
STUFF
MOD Contest Group
Quote by Hobolad

Idk if that would really be necessary, once you get it wound low enough and get used to winding it that low you won't have a problem with it anymore. It may be your truss rod to a little lesser extent, I have the same problem on my J and I tightened the rod maybe an eighth of a turn and it helped a little bit.
Gear:

Fender Mexi Fat Strat
2005 Taylor 614ce

The problem is most likely down to the nut; it is an inexpensive procedure but must be done by a professional.
A quick test is to place some paper under the string within the groove in thr nut, this is not a permanent solution but an indication.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn