Page 1 of 2
im getting one of these amps, but im not sure which one..

ive played the both, but im just wondering which is better value for money, as they are around the same price..

thanks for any help
MD5K
IBANEZ
If you've played them both, go with what sounded better.

But, i'd go for the Peavey over the Crate any day.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator

the blue voodoo is garbage
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
yea thats a good idea. im gonna play both of them again before i make up my mind, but they are both so far away from each other lol. it takes a whole day to try both lol.

why do u say its rubbish JLT73?
MD5K
IBANEZ
Quote by TORSION
yea thats a good idea. im gonna play both of them again before i make up my mind, but they are both so far away from each other lol. it takes a whole day to try both lol.

why do u say its rubbish JLT73?

It's sort of part of the whole oversized practice amp thing. But I agree with darkarbiter, we're in no position to tell you what you like. Go for whichever one offers you the sound you want.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
peavey, no doubt.
10/7/07- Van Halen
3/16/08- Iron Maiden
1/9/09- AC/DC
7/8/09- Judas Priest
11/10/09- Metallica
7/3/10- Iron Maiden
7/24/10- Rush
4/15/11- Rush-

Quote by LordBishek
with a penis as small as mine, I don't have a very humorous take on the world.
Quote by Sonicxlover
It's sort of part of the whole oversized practice amp thing.

what is? the crate?
MD5K
IBANEZ
Quote by TORSION
what is? the crate?

It's not really an oversized practice amp, but the Crate pales in comparison to other tube amps. Much in the way that the Valveking does.
FTW=For the win.

But yeah, if they're really around the same price, go for the peavey. That is, unless you really like the crate.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
ive seen some pros use the blue voodoos before. i would definitely give them a good test run before deciding. you may end up loving it. of course id go for the peavey. it sounds heavenly.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
well the thing that got me onto the crate is that i was thinking about versatility. from what ive gathered, the 6505 just does metal.. someone please correct me if im wrong.

so from what ive heard the crate can be used for more rock, classic rock, but also for metal.
which is why i decided to look at it.

the deal im getting on the 6505, the crate is actually more expensive..

haha i always see ftw in the forums and never knew what it meant lol. thanks for that haha
MD5K
IBANEZ
the 6505 is best for metal, but can be used for other things. you just have to take some time with it. the "+" model is a lot more versatile because of the better cleans and separate EQ. theres a youtube video of a guy getting pretty decent cleans out of it. also, its van halen's sig amp, so it must be able to do classic rock at least a little haha
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by InanezGuitars44
the 6505 is best for metal, but can be used for other things. you just have to take some time with it. the "+" model is a lot more versatile because of the better cleans and separate EQ. theres a youtube video of a guy getting pretty decent cleans out of it. also, its van halen's sig amp, so it must be able to do classic rock at least a little haha

hahaha thats very true.. i forgot all about eddie for a moment lol.

im going for the plus model, and i didnt actually mind the cleans i got from it. it sounded pretty good to me.

the only thing i didnt like was the treble on the distortion channel. is this because the speakers arent broken in yet or something?
MD5K
IBANEZ
Quote by InanezGuitars44
ive seen some pros use the blue voodoos before. i would definitely give them a good test run before deciding. you may end up loving it. of course id go for the peavey. it sounds heavenly.

I want a list plx.

I know of nobody who plays them.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by kool98769
I want a list plx.

I know of nobody who plays them.

I believe Marty Friedman has played one in the past.
Robert Randolph uses one, and there's a few more.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
thats anothing thing that puts me off the crate..

the 6505+ head is the same one that trivium, bullet for my valentine, and machine head use...some of my favourite bands use this amp and tour the world with it..
so im sure its good enough for me to play in my room and at band practice hahaha
MD5K
IBANEZ
Quote by darkarbiter7
I believe Marty Friedman has played one in the past.
Robert Randolph uses one, and there's a few more.

Maybe so.
I can garuntee they arent stock blue voodoos though.
His tone is much to good to be using those :O
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by TORSION
hahaha thats very true.. i forgot all about eddie for a moment lol.

im going for the plus model, and i didnt actually mind the cleans i got from it. it sounded pretty good to me.

the only thing i didnt like was the treble on the distortion channel. is this because the speakers arent broken in yet or something?

The treble is kinda weird on them...I have mine turned down a lot and use the presence to compensate and take that shrill sound out of it...I'm in love with mine, if I we're you I'd take the 6505, especially since it's cheaper. It can do classic rock just fine, unless you're just inept with an eq which I doubt you are, you'll be able to get a great tone for it with the crunch mode on.
i also read some reviews on the blue voodoo on UG and it said that they are made cheaply and very reliable?
is this true?

and does the 6505 have any reliablity issues?
MD5K
IBANEZ
Quote by TORSION
i also read some reviews on the blue voodoo on UG and it said that they are made cheaply and very reliable?
is this true?

and does the 6505 have any reliablity issues?

Why are you still looking at the BV?
because on the money that i get, i want to make sure that i get the right amp, because it has taken me all year to save for this amp and i dont want to regret it.
im just really considering my options thats all
MD5K
IBANEZ
buy the doodoo and you will regret it, im bein serious. How many famous metal and rock bands do you see with blue doodoos, go to any average gig with a few metal bands these days odds are you'll see a 5150
The Blue Voodoo does not sound good.

I don't like the 6505 at all (I don't care if its EVH's sig amp, I still think Marshalls sound infinitely better for EVH tone). Its not really versatile enough to do a lot of styles outside of metal. But it still sounds a lot better than the blue voodoo.

About 6 or 7 years ago I was really desperate for a halfstack and almost pulled the trigger on a blue voodoo because it was cheap. Luckily, I tried it out before I spent my money because they really do sound like ****. Normally I like to think tone is subjective, but I don't think a shrill and brittle sounding amp is good for anyone. Maybe something was wrong with the one I tried but the tone was just so compressed at low volumes that it just sounded tiny. Its not a matter of volume, the tone was just lifeless. I didn't dime the amp in the store or anything, but its 120 watts, unless you have one hell of an attenuator, I doubt you would dime the amp either.
yea thats true..
like i said before, some of my favourite bands use the 6505+.

and yea.. no one uses blue voodoos..
at all..

not even local bands do actually...
MD5K
IBANEZ
the more i hear about the blue voodoo the less i want to play it ever lol
or even think of buying it haha
MD5K
IBANEZ
Quote by TORSION
yea thats true..
like i said before, some of my favourite bands use the 6505+.

and yea.. no one uses blue voodoos..
at all..

not even local bands do actually...

This isn't necessarily a good reason to go for the Peavey. Modern players tone comes from more than just guitar --> amp these days. If you are looking to replicate someone else's sound from their gear, you'll be disapointed when you can't get it.

Remember, players use gear that sounds good to them. I've heard people get pretty decent tone out of a blue voodoo when they're modded slightly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDIQpSm7ymA

Try the 6505 before you buy it, and look at some other options as well. Like I said, its not particularly versatile, and I personally do not like the sound too much. But I'm not really into metal either.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 8, 2008,
Quote by kool98769
Maybe so.
I can garuntee they arent stock blue voodoos though.
His tone is much to good to be using those :O

here's the question...

Have you ever played one?

If you haven't, then all you did was jump on the Crate hate bandwagon that this forum has, much like for line 6 spider 3s and marshall MG's (those 2 are well deserving)
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
crate make some good amps, the doodoo isnt one of them. You'll get the same opinion no matter what forum you check.
I've demo'ed both and the 6505+ destroys it in every since of the word. The voodoo's gain structure is thin, harsh and trash... And when have you ever really heard anyone say hey I wanna sound must like megadeth its a static x amp as far as im concerned. Also the amp has no cut through what so ever it will blend in to anything.
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Aug 8, 2008,
I have to agree. The crate blue voodoo amp does NOT sound good, but there just seems to be so much bandwagon hate out there.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Ted Nugent used 5150s throughout his career...
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
^Steve Morse has also used them, I believe.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
^Steve Morse has also used them, I believe.

Yeah, I know, but some people don't even know who Steve Morse is. (I have a big list of people who use the 5150 in case someone says they're 1-trick ponies )
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
The other guitarist in my band was in this dilemma.

He got a 300 watt tube Blue Voodoo for $800...
*FACEPALM*

He called me and told me about it. I wanted to yell at him. It will cost $200+ to re-tube and it sounds quite awful.

I'm disappointed
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
Quote by aznrockerdude
Yeah, I know, but some people don't even know who Steve Morse is. (I have a big list of people who use the 5150 in case someone says they're 1-trick ponies )

+1

Theres a local punk band that uses one and it sounds great for that genre as well... Just goes to show ya not everything has to stick to a specific trend or style..
Quote by al112987
This isn't necessarily a good reason to go for the Peavey. Modern players tone comes from more than just guitar --> amp these days. If you are looking to replicate someone else's sound from their gear, you'll be disapointed when you can't get it.

Remember, players use gear that sounds good to them. I've heard people get pretty decent tone out of a blue voodoo when they're modded slightly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDIQpSm7ymA

+1, Ultimately the player is responsible for 70% of their tone. Im not taking sides, but the 5150 has been an industry standard for hard rock for many many years. I never like the BV it did have a very brittle top end and was very "tiny" sound also. But who knows man you might plug into it and find that amp suits your needs.
"People worry too much about tone instead of just rocking out"
oh yea...stop taking our word on it and go play one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"People worry too much about tone instead of just rocking out"
Page 1 of 2