I'm just wondering what i should fixate on to become better at playing neo-classical/black/death/melodic metal music. I.e. specific scales, chord progressions..etc. Anything Helps!
Occasionally There Does Seem To Be Too Many Notes...
Quote by Loknik
I'm just wondering what i should fixate on to become better at playing neo-classical. I.e. specific scales, chord progressions..etc. Anything Helps!

Scales: Harmonic Minor, Phrygian Dominant,
Arps: Diminished 7th's

Guitar Players:
Y Malmsteen
Tony MacAlpine

There's loads more obviously.....
The scales above are going to give you that sound you're looking for, but the big neoclassical guitarists use pretty much all of the main arpeggios in their solos and licks. I would start learning solos from some of the big names guys like Yngwie, Jason Becker, Tony MacAlpine, etc. Chances are most people can't play these solos all the way through because they get very difficult, but what you need to do is start listening to some of them and as you hear a lick or a phrase that catches your ear or has the sound or character that you're going for, pause it there and work on figuring out and learning even that single phrase. Do this with a few different solos or phrases from various guitarists and you'll start to develop a feel for that style and how to use it.
Quote by The Raven
Thats a pretty broad spectrum, at that point almost anything would be beneficial to practice.

+1.
You are like a hurricane
There's calm in your eye.
And I'm gettin' blown away
To somewhere safer
where the feeling stays.
I want to love you but
I'm getting blown away.
Harmonic minor scale for slower/atmospheric parts, and sweeps and tapping for speed, that's what I use in blackened death, and using these type of ideas (or powerchords/octaves);

|----------------------|
|----------------------|
|----------------------|
|--2-3-6-7-9-10-13-14--|
|--2-3-6-7-9-10-13-14--|
|--0-1-4-5-7-8--11-12--|
Since a lot of shred is neoclassically inspired, work on your technique heavily as well. Solid alternate picking ability along with at least some basic sweeping and tapping ideas will serve you well.
Quote by Loknik
I'm just wondering what i should fixate on to become better at playing neo-classical/black/death/melodic metal music. I.e. specific scales, chord progressions..etc. Anything Helps!
Just playing or writing as well?

If your just playing, than yeah, focus heavily on your technique, especially alternate picking, sweep picking, string skipping and economy picking.
I'm not that great at teaching technique over the internet, so you might want to start a thread in the Advance Techniques forum and wait for freepower.

If you want to write neoclassical and metal and all that, I recommend you learn alot of theory, focus on the major scale and the minor scale (forget all those serbian b4 and a half trimented scales AKA exotic scales), try to learn counterpoint (actually more important than you'd think) and you might want to get a classical guitar teacher, who would probably be best equipped to teach you classical theory.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Also look at some Romantic era composers for inspiration, especially for neoclassical/shred composition, as a lot of music from this era demands a degree of technical virtuosity. Composers like Niccoló Paganini and Franz Liszt are good bets, you actually hear MAB play something very close to Caprice #5 in one of his videos.
Last edited by Mayano at Aug 9, 2008,
Quote by Mayano
Also look at some Romantic era composers for inspiration, especially for neoclassical/shred composition, as a lot of music from this era demands a degree of technical virtuosity. Composers like Niccoló Paganini and Franz Liszt are good bets, you actually here MAB play something very close to Caprice #5 in one of his videos.
+1 for Paganini and Liszt. Also listen to some chopin (not my favourite, but alot of guys like him) and Granados and maybe some Bach.
Aparently alot of shredders copy phrases striaght out of the caprices.
Quote by Loknik

Yeah... well, there's a ****load of lessons in my sig for technique and phrasing.
Quote by Loknik

fixate on: the music itself

then learn what scales, chord progressions...etc they are using.
shred is gaudy music