Did a few searches on the quality difference of the two and found a lot of oppinions of which brand is better but nobody every really says why. There are a few mentions about obvious things (electronics, setup) and small stuff like nitrocellulose finishes but what is the difference really? Is it the wood selection or quality control sending the good production flukes to gibson and the rest to epiphone or a masterfull setup or all of that and more or none of it? Could somebody with a lot of playing time on both and some solid not stated a million times technical knowledge please help me out on this one? P.S. don't be afraid to get technical
The only time epiphone can be better then gibson, is comparing the quality control of high end epiphone to a low end gibson
I've always gone with it this way, I would rather play the 1000$ epiphone, Than a 1000$ Gibson.
Gear
Peavy Basic 60 bass amp
Fender American Precison W/Quarter pounders
SX SPJ-62
Acoustic B100
SX SJB-75 LTD NA
I KNOW I KNOW im asking what the physical differences are that make a 3000-5000 dollar gibson better than a 1000 epiphone.
Quote by MichaelOfCanton
I KNOW I KNOW im asking what the physical differences are that make a 3000-5000 dollar gibson better than a 1000 epiphone.

ehh, i know a lot of gibson's have ebony fretboard's
Quote by JobyByTheNight
I've always gone with it this way, I would rather play the 1000$ epiphone, Than a 1000$ Gibson.

I'd rather play that $1000 Epi than a $2000 dollar gibson. It's got a solid body unlike any gibson.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Lately Epiphone's been pwning Gibson sales-wise, and playability. And I feel Gibson's been a little to cocky from Guitar Hero sales, because lately a lot of their stuff's been crap.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Quote by MichaelOfCanton

Attention paid to manufacturing. High end Gibsons are better made than most guitars, you can feel it if you play one.
Dickless.
IDK why the Hell all you ppl ****ing bitch and call Gibsons ****. They're not. They're amazing guitars. Even the worst High End is better than any mid-low end. I know, I have played many Gibsons and many mid-low ends, as well as high ends. I think that Gibsons are great guitars...there's no denying it.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Quote by MichaelOfCanton

Pick ups. A Made in USA stamp that the American's are stingy for. The Gibson name. The rest is overpricing.
Signatures are overrated.
Quote by Moe.
Pick ups. A Made in USA stamp that the American's are stingy for. The Gibson name. The rest is overpricing.

+1 without a doubt.
hide your kids, hide your wife.

Quote by angus_young_32
I'd rather kill myself than commit suicide.

UG Hatecrew FTW
Very old Epiphones (From before Gibson annexed Epiphone) are better than Gibsons.\

Or at least thats my opinion.
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
well, all the gibsons i've played feel more solid than epiphones, and naturally have a better unplugged tone due to better quality wood used. Even the low end models.

That high end epi > low end gibson is a load of crap imo as its entirely based on preference. The low end gibsons have different finishes which don't look as nice as the glossy, shiny high end epiphones, but they feel very different, its a feel which you either love or hate. The quality is about equal. The way i see it on the low end gibsons you are paying less than the regular gibsons for the lack of fancy cosmetics, whereas on the high end epiphones, you are paying extra for these fancy looks. The gibsons would be cheaper were it not for the logo, but they are about equal in terms of quality and playability, some prefer the gibsons, others prefer the epiphones.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Epi > Gibson, IMO. Especially the ones that aren't copies - Joe Pass Emperor, Wildkat etc.
Quote by Flying Couch
Epi > Gibson, IMO. Especially the ones that aren't copies - Joe Pass Emperor, Wildkat etc.

those, i guess, are completely separate from this discussion. because you can hardly say "the epiphone wildkat is better than a gibson ES-335" because they are different designs in this case.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I'm just wondering, but I don't think Gibsons are THAT overpriced. If you think about it, they have to pay a big to logging companys for the wood, they have to pay all the people that build them (by hand, remember), they have to pay people that endorse them, pay for advertising, pay for all the people that make the pickups and the materials that are used in them and they have to pay for the research to see what people want. (Apart from the Reverse V)

And the only reason Epiphones beat Gibsons in sales is because they are like £1000 cheaper.

And there is a MASSIVE difference in feel and sound from them too. As well as Agiles. (Yes, I have played them!)

I know I'm gonna get flamed for it, but I don't think people ever put that into consideration.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by oneblackened
I'd rather play that $1000 Epi than a $2000 dollar gibson. It's got a solid body unlike any gibson.

Say goodbye to your IQ!

The low-end Gibsons aren't good at all, but anything Standard or higher pwns. I compared my SG Standard to three SG Specials the other day- not one of them even came close.
I have to admit that some Gibby's are overpriced, but that doesn't stop them from making quality guitars.
I'm looking to buy an Epi Valve Standard. If you've got one up for grabs in the Uk, PM me and let me know.
Build quality is the main difference, also Gibsons tend to use better grade materials (i.e. they both use mahogany, but Gibson uses better mahogany) i hate when people say it's just the name, because that's a load of BS, the name has something to do with it, but not as much as people say. Mostly they just judge the guitars by the spec sheets, I could do the same thing comparing a $1000 epi to a $3500 PRS and still say the Epi is better based on specs, but that would generally be a load of crap.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
^ That's it. Gibsons may be overpriced (they are, that's a fact), but they're still great guitars and much better than Epis in all aspects (except quality for price).
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
Most people who tell you that Epiphones are much better than Gibsons are just jumping on the bandwagon and have probably never played a decent priced Gibson.

Now the Epiphone Elitist on the other hand can hold their own with alot of Gibson guitars, that said though, while Gibsons QC has gone down in recent years they are still alot better build quality than Epiphones.

While it's true you're paying alot for the name, I assure you that a top of the range Gibson will most definately be better than an Epiphone.

Of course I'm not bashing Epiphones though, just I find it a bit silly to compare them. Epiphone are aimed for the market of guitarists who can't afford Gibsons, and for the price alot of them are good guitars. Gibsons are aimed at your players who can afford quality.
New gibsons arent that great and not worth the price, that said they are better than epi standards. But the only epiphone that can touch a good gibson is either an epi les paul elitist or a fujigen made standard which really are freaks and rare.
Quote by Aidy Damage
Say goodbye to your IQ!

The low-end Gibsons aren't good at all, but anything Standard or higher pwns. I compared my SG Standard to three SG Specials the other day- not one of them even came close.

I don't dig chambered or weight relieved bodies. OK? OK. Also, I don't want a guitar that the headstock will break off if I bump it.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.