Ok im checking out getting a Line 6 Pod of some kind and i was wondering if i hooked it up to my crappy Frontman 15g amp if it would be good on the clean channel. I figure the fx on the pod are more than enough pedals than ill ever need and i can use them whenever i get a real amp. ive heard they can be a pretty good investment. but i want opinions please. And which would you reccomend for someone whos only been playing for about 10 months?
i think it would be great. it gives you many sounds and can be used in a variety of ways. i think it will sound good on your clean channel. maybe not amazing because of the amp, but it will sound decent. you can also use it with headphones and get good tone. if you dont think you will use the effects that much, id get a roland cube amp. they have a great sound and are low priced. the bigger versions have some effects on them too
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Get a new amp.

The pod is very digital sounding and will take away the actual sound of your guitar and replace it with digitalness.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Can you bypass the preamp on the Frontman?
If so, you can just use the Frontman as a power amp, and the POD as the preamp.
For me, the PODxt is nice. Some of the amp models are quite tasty for a modeler.

But, if you can't bypass the preamp on the FM, I'd just go for a new amp if I were you. Perhaps a Fender super champ XD?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
i've got my gt-8 with my 25R and i like the sound i get. idk about the pod, but i definitely recommend the gt-8.
10/7/07- Van Halen
3/16/08- Iron Maiden
1/9/09- AC/DC
7/8/09- Judas Priest
11/10/09- Metallica
7/3/10- Iron Maiden
7/24/10- Rush
4/15/11- Rush-

Quote by LordBishek
with a penis as small as mine, I don't have a very humorous take on the world.
I would value the million sounds that pedal can make eaqually to the one sound a little tuber makes.
if you want to use only the pod, pick up a key board amp as well, will do better then the frontman
whoa keyboard amp? dude... dude.....
im pretty sure the reason theyre called keyboard amps and guitar amps are called guitar amps is because....
Quote by Ghold125
if you want to use only the pod, pick up a key board amp as well, will do better then the frontman

This, if you do decide on a pod.
Or better yet, a Jazz Chorus.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
whoa flood of responses haha. thanks guys. so... maybe ill go with a keyboard amp and that if you guys think itll last me a while. im playin a squier strat be warned XD. anyway can you guys recommend any keyboard amps? i have no experience whatsoever with keyboard amps and such. should be relatively cheap/decent quality. if possible. thanks! (and which pod is recommended for bedroom practice outta a keyboard amp?)

EDIT: just looked at fender superchamp and it looks pretty good o.0 anyone reccomend that over pod through keyboard amp?
Last edited by nolifeXD at Aug 8, 2008,
Oh transprant modeling. I see, you need the computer to have a lot of headroom so it can simulate a bunch of tube amps and digital FX with the word tube in the name. Well I guess if you want the simulations of the tube amps and the simulations of the tube simulators to sound like the computer in question intends them to tubes probably would get in the way. Better yet just run the computer through your home stereo. PS im not trying to be a tube snob but even if having a little 150 dollar five watter on the side is all you can afford just think of it as a 150 dollar effect that gives you what even the best solid state gear can only simulate plus you get to see the little suckers glow which always puts a smile on my face
Last edited by MichaelOfCanton at Aug 8, 2008,
if your thinking i want to run the pod thru the superchamp thats not it. it would be standalone superchamp or a pod through a keyboarding amp. the two are separate. if thats not what you meant then forget this post. i have no xp with this so sorry.

EDIT: alright sorry didnt see ur post acdc. ill go take a look at the superchamp then. will it go decent with a squier strat? i like to play some metal and rock so i dont know how good the amp is for it.
did you catch the edit? i wanna make sure that the superchamp can play good metal tones/rock tones thru my squier because if not its probably not the amp for me. sorry for all this i just wanna make sure i know what im gettin.
Quote by nolifeXD
if your thinking i want to run the pod thru the superchamp thats not it. it would be standalone superchamp or a pod through a keyboarding amp. the two are separate. if thats not what you meant then forget this post. i have no xp with this so sorry.

EDIT: alright sorry didnt see ur post acdc. ill go take a look at the superchamp then. will it go decent with a squier strat? i like to play some metal and rock so i dont know how good the amp is for it.

Dude super champ now youre talkin. Those have real 6L6 power tube circuts and a 12ax7 preamp. plus the digital fx are engineered to go well with the amp. And if you want to get all zenlike pure with your inner analog im pretty sure you can turn all the extras off
Quote by nolifeXD
did you catch the edit? i wanna make sure that the superchamp can play good metal tones/rock tones thru my squier because if not its probably not the amp for me. sorry for all this i just wanna make sure i know what im gettin.

a squire is about as poorly suited to metal as any amp you'll find. the single coils are no good for thick forcefull sounds. you could drop a humbucker in the bridge position for not a lot of money and you'd have a better metal signal from that plus still have the mid and neck single coils for the warmer strat single coil sounds. When I was a kid i had a squire and i put a cheapo EMG in the birdge and it was a totally different beast. However you have to consider if youre serious about guitar how long do you want to be playing on a squire. My advice, and this is going to suck to do, would be to save up like a grand or so (key word SAVE) and get a nice guitar and rig. For 300-500 you can get a guitar thats closer in quality to a top end guitar than it is that squire (or at least my old bullet from the mid '90s) if you choose carefully. Spend the rest on a good amp (good sound not big watts) and some FX and youll save yourself the hassle of constantly battling your gears sound by buying little things like FX pedals or new speakers or new tuners tremolos etc. to try to fix it. PS while im thinking about it a superchamp may not be the final anwser but its a fine building block to get your outfit in order. with that and a good guitar (i reccomend Ibanez first Dean second and Epiphone or low end Fender (not squire) third ) you'd have a good enough setup that you'd have to get very good or have a lot of money to need anything better.
Last edited by MichaelOfCanton at Aug 8, 2008,
yeah see my b-days comin up and my parents dont wanna let me get guitar stuff even though im starting lessons and stuff. They say i havent been playing long enough. i figure worst comes to worst ill just grab my money and maybe get some from them and see what i can get. iw as already looking at ibanez fixed rgs like the RGR421EXFM. you think thatll do metal well with a super champ?