im going to be buying a mexican strat and modding it. would this be at all possible:

hot rails - bridge, single coil - middle, cool rails - neck

master volume, master tone, coil split switch, killswitch button, 5 way toggle

would this be possible to do? if so, can anyone give an explanation on how to do it.

also, would it be worth it to replace the mexican electronics (what would be left of it) with american electronics?

thanks all.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Quote by Kujaku
Oh man, avoid Mexican Fender's.

care to elaborate?
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
Mexican made Fenders, in my opinion play better than the American made.

All of this would be possible, and fairly easy.
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
get a Japanese Fender instead
Quote by TDS
You know what would be awsome? A phone that doubled as a fleshlight that recharged power through kinetic motion.

"hold on guys my phone's dying."
*fap*
"Ok we're good."
Mexican Fenders are just fine, whether they play better than American Fenders is a matter of opinion - but they are good guitars whatever.

What you want to do is fundamentally pretty straight forward.

This will give you the wiring you want:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=HSH_1v_1t_5w_pushpull

If you want to have individual switching for the coil splits, you'll need a second switch - but that's no big deal to work out - just replicate the first switch wiring.

This will give you your kill switch - although you might want to read the kill switch tutorial thread.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=kill_switch
right, im not really concerned with the killswitch wiring, that seems pretty straight forward. but i do want a seperate switch for the coil spliting.

but basically for the switch, instead of going to the second layer of a push pull, it will just go the to switch, acting as an on/off switch for the second coil. does that sound right?
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
Yeah, all you need is an SPST or SPDT switch. Put the coil split wires (red & white for seymour duncan) on the middle lug, and the other lug goes to ground. (if its a SPDT three lug switch, just ignore the third lug)

If you get it backwards, you rotate the switch in the hole and all is good.

Oh, and avoid listening to the guy who said to avoid mexican made fenders. He doesn't know what he's talking about. For the money, you can't beat them.
All my photobucket pics are dead so no links to my guitar build threads.
My Music
Last edited by zeroyon at Aug 8, 2008,
thanks all of u for the help. im gonna start this project very soon and ill let u kno how it all goes.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30