Hey UG, I couldn't put up with my other guitar any longer that sounds like a banjo and and has fuzzy sound and cuts in and out when volume was played high. I've been planning to get this one starter guitar set for so long, and I think I just about convinced my parents for this one to replace the ripoff I got a year ago.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Behringer-MetAlien-GPK836BK-Electric-Guitar-Pack-515711-i1375182.gc

It just seems too good to be true for that price and the 4 star review instead of 5 star had me questionable a bit about the price. Is this a good one? Is this a brand name?
Forever feels retarded in MT forum

-Equipment-
Squier Champ 15
Squier Bullet Stratocaster
-Shopping list-
Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal
1 guitar cable for that pedal
seem worth it for a starter guitar
THE KREATOR OF THE ALL METAL AND KERRY KING GROUP PM ME TO JOIN
Proud BLACK 13 Owner
RIP Charles Michael "Chuck" Schuldiner THE FATHER OF DEATH METAL
GOD HATES US ALL-SLAYER
Dude don't get that crap... I got a Behringer pack 3 years ago and it what like the worst thing eveeeeer!

My experience with behringer products hasn't been good at all

Save up and get a real guitar man
i had a behringer guitar of similair quality. it was NOT that guitar there, but a strat knock off. But i think its safe to assume it will be made of roughly the same quality, because it came out of a starter pack that was the same price. (i got it for 10$ from the dude that bought it originally. it had duct tape on it )

The tuners on it will not be very good. the pickups, obviously, are not going to be godly. my experience with humbuckers on cheaper guitars like this have been that they don't get rid of as much hum as you would like. you probably wanna change them if you can. as for the playability of what i had, i honestly could not play as well on the behringer as i could on my real guitar. but if you've only been playin since june you probably won't notice/have to deal with this. (i think you won't mind if you can't sweep as fast on it as opposed to a higher quality guitar).

but for how little this guitar costs, i say go for it if you like it. when you haven't been playing for along time like this anyways, i know alotta people don't even play plugged in (i didn't really), so the electronics don't even matter. all that really matters is a neck to play on. but eventually, you WILL need a new, better guitar.

if you want a slightly higher quality guitar for the same price, fender squire strats are alittle more playable, but might not come with all the "extra's". also for alittle bit more, ESP makes some decent guitars.

also, don't forget about craiglist.
Last edited by SpeedLives at Aug 8, 2008,
if youre headset on getting a starter pack get an ibanez or epiphone or even squier
do not get behringer lol

my advice would be to get an 200 dollar ibanez RG and a 100 dollar line 6 spider 3 15W amp
only 100 bucks more and your looking at a lot better setup
Haha I guess Behringer is like... the meat "Spam" compared to ibanez or epiphone being all., steak-like xD well ok, thank you guys for the opinions, so glad I didn't get it now

-Equipment-
Squier Champ 15
-Shopping list-
Quote by cedaguol
It would be better than any behringer pack for sure.

Less frets, Less Pickups, Unidentified Wood, More Expensive. Hmm, lol. I think the Behringer amp would be horrible, but the guitar wouldn't be too bad for starting off.
hide your kids, hide your wife.

Quote by angus_young_32
I'd rather kill myself than commit suicide.

UG Hatecrew FTW
I don't know about everyone else, but I would get the Behringer or the Ibanez pack.
I mean I feel that as a starter pack, you just want to be economical because most likely you will be getting a better guitar after you start playing a while. So why not save money?
Quote by XxDre09xX

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Behringer-MetAlien-GPK836BK-Electric-Guitar-Pack-515711-i1375182.gc

It just seems too good to be true for that price and the 4 star review instead of 5 star had me questionable a bit about the price. Is this a good one? Is this a brand name?

I actually own that guitar pack, and i would have to say it is a good beginner set. Sure the guitar isn't as good as the more expensive ones and yes the amp does suck, but not everyone can get the expensive right off. I dont regret buying it and i dont think you will ether. Plus, it doesn't sound like a banjo =)
None of these things you're looking at will be any better than what you already have. Change your strings, get your guitar set up properly and put up with it while you save more money.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
If you're gonna get a cheap starter, don't get an ibanez one. Their amps are the worst amps of them all and it will blow within a few weeks.
Why do you want to replace your ****ty starter guitar with another ****ty starter guitar? Save up some money and buy a decent guitar.
I bought an epiphone special 2 pack with a 15w amp (includes overdrive) for $269. You can got a alot of varied tones with this guitar. All it needed was a setup.
You can take a look at ebay, there is a guy on there named mauery21804 who sells used and blemished guitars cheap. He's sold many many guitars and has good feedback from his buyers.

He sells a lot of schecters, you should check him out.
Ok I think you should either get a new guitar or a new amp, if you can afford both this is what you should get on a low budget. DO NOT GET A STARTER PACK UNLESS IT IS COMPLETELY NECESSARY!

Guitar: Either a Squier Bullet or a Squier Stratocaster

Amp: Roland Microcube, hands down best low budget amp.

Oh and another thing please dont complain about your gear being bad. You are lucky that you can afford to play guitar, just be thankful.
Quote by cdjspider
I actually own that guitar pack, and i would have to say it is a good beginner set. Sure the guitar isn't as good as the more expensive ones and yes the amp does suck, but not everyone can get the expensive right off. I dont regret buying it and i dont think you will ether. Plus, it doesn't sound like a banjo =)

No I'm talking about my current guitar sounds like a banjo, where the pickups have no sound and I have to pluck really hard, I can't hear it at all with soft

And besides, I don't even think it could get a "setup" (never been to a guitar store before). My current guitar is so shtty, it runs on a 9V battery and is played through a speaker where the soundhole and usually more pickups should be... can't believe I ever wanted that gift for my bday

-Equipment-
Squier Champ 15
-Shopping list-
Don't replace a starter with a starter. It will only lead down a road of regret and loathing towards the pos you just bought. If I were you I would just save up and buy a real guitar.
"Kids in the backseat cause accidents, accidents in the back cause kids."

"Secrets are like herpes, if you have 'em you might as well spread 'em."
Quote by Flow of soul
Ok I think you should either get a new guitar or a new amp, if you can afford both this is what you should get on a low budget. DO NOT GET A STARTER PACK UNLESS IT IS COMPLETELY NECESSARY!

Guitar: Either a Squier Bullet or a Squier Stratocaster

Amp: Roland Microcube, hands down best low budget amp.

Oh and another thing please dont complain about your gear being bad. You are lucky that you can afford to play guitar, just be thankful.

Hey man listen to this guy he speaks the truth. If I were you I would save up, buy a Squier Stratocaster, or a Epiphone Les Paul Special II. Use your amp for a while until you have enough cash for either a Roland Microcube or a Vox DA5. Then you'll have a worthy starter rig.
Rudeboy Out!
MIM Fender Telecaster
SX GG1 Junior (Les Paul Special clone)
Dillion Canada DXC 58 (DC Les Paul Junior)
Fender Joe Strummer Telecaster
Squier CV Duo Sonic
Epiphone Les Paul Junior Special
Squier Jazz Bass
Vox DA 15
Fender FM 212R
heyy,I suggest don't get a starter pack at all..like they all said its true,Just buy the guitar and the amp seperately...cause usualy the companies that make amps dont make very good guitars and vice versa but thats only my opinion.If you want something with a pretty low cost get a Squier Strat or Tele with a Roland Cube amp.With the squier it'll last but your most probably gonna replace it once you get better but as a beginner its perfect.
~Vince~
Fender MIM Telecaster ('06) [Modded]
PRS S2 Custom 24 ('13) [Modded]
Squier Affinity Fat Strat [Modded]
Yamaha F310

Mesa/Boogie Lonestar 1x12 Combo
Mesa/Boogie Mark V:25

SD Vapor Trail
Xotic SL Drive
Xotic BB Preamp
Boss BD-2
Boss DS-1 [MonteAllums]
MXR 10-Band EQ
Last edited by xvasmx at Aug 9, 2008,
Trust me I got the ibanez starter pack, the guitar isn't too bad for a starter but the amp is god awful. I still need to get money for a roland microcube :\
Quote by Rave765
Trust me I got the ibanez starter pack, the guitar isn't too bad for a starter but the amp is god awful. I still need to get money for a roland microcube :\

Yeah Ibanez amps are pretty bad. Even the expensive ones aren't good compared to other amps in their price range.
Quote by XxDre09xX
No I'm talking about my current guitar sounds like a banjo, where the pickups have no sound and I have to pluck really hard, I can't hear it at all with soft

And besides, I don't even think it could get a "setup" (never been to a guitar store before). My current guitar is so shtty, it runs on a 9V battery and is played through a speaker where the soundhole and usually more pickups should be... can't believe I ever wanted that gift for my bday

Ah, I remember your other thread now!

It's up to you really, a starter pack is less hassle and sometimes cheaper, just don't expect anything amazing. You could get something better by hunting around used, but again that can be risky if you don't really know what you're looking for. At least if you go for a starter pack you know what to expect.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
You could also try a Roland microcube and a Dean Vendetta. I hear Vendettas are really good for the price, both of those combined is less then $300.
I say a squier bullet and a microcube, plus a monster prolink cable. TOTAL: $240, add a $25 dollar tuner and it's still cheaper than a starter pack. Not to mention it'll sound somewhat decent.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Thank you for all your help guys.

I am now the proud owner of a Squier Bullet Stratocaster only cost $100 and with my squier champ 15, OMG IT SOUNDS AMAZING! a bit....i mean... very confused about the 5-tone switch thing and the 2 tone knobs but I'll learn it later...time for me to go learn some scales and chords!!!

-Equipment-
Squier Champ 15
-Shopping list-