Hey, i've just recently started listening to his stuff, and I think its completely insane.

Anyone else like this guy?
Anyone got opinions on his best album?
NOIZE
I like what he does in Bela Fleck and The Flecktones. I'm not too familiar with his solo work except for the slap and pop which I'm not too keen on.
Too pushy with religion imo, but he's damn talented.
Quote by mynamesedson
I asked my son he said nothing but he just asked me he wants a psyachatrist (spelling?) Because he heard voices calling out his name. What a freak.

Control your life through insanity.

Igneuspentheism
Victor's a guy who has clearly learnt his stuff and practiced alot, but in all honesty im not feelin his stuff. Theres more to music than playing all flashy and that...and im sure im not the only one who thinks that...
American Fender Strat
1979 Marshall Superlead
Real Mccoy Wizard Wah
Robert Keeley Boss Tremolo
Euthymia Crucible Fuzz
Fulltone OCD+Deja Vibe
Line 6 DL4
Analogman BC108
Prescription C.O.B

Im a Single Coil man
Quote by matt92l
Victor's a guy who has clearly learnt his stuff and practiced alot, but in all honesty im not feelin his stuff. Theres more to music than playing all flashy and that...and im sure im not the only one who thinks that...

Listen to his work with the Flecktones.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
now nathan east! theres a bass player!
American Fender Strat
1979 Marshall Superlead
Real Mccoy Wizard Wah
Euthymia Crucible Fuzz
Fulltone OCD+Deja Vibe
Line 6 DL4
Analogman BC108
Prescription C.O.B

Im a Single Coil man
Quote by matt92l

Agreed. From what I've heard, he's more of a showoff than a musician. Though I haven't heard him with the Flecktones, so I'll be sure to check that out.
victor is an awesome player
My favorite band is Tool.

Quote by dio_dude
despite the funny name, unknownpunkrock is the coolest 08'er.

Ibanez GRG
Vox AD30VT
Randall RG50TC
Takamine C128
Dano Wah
Yamaha S90
Quote by Slash 602
Agreed. From what I've heard, he's more of a showoff than a musician. Though I haven't heard him with the Flecktones, so I'll be sure to check that out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXHOyqHzupk
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Click.
Quote by Resiliance

again, sorry that goes to show how he plays bass.He plays it like lead guitar! its the BASS INTRUMENT!
i will say however, your example there was very nice and ill check out more of their stuff!
American Fender Strat
1979 Marshall Superlead
Real Mccoy Wizard Wah
Euthymia Crucible Fuzz
Fulltone OCD+Deja Vibe
Line 6 DL4
Analogman BC108
Prescription C.O.B

Im a Single Coil man
His solo stuff is a little over the top for me, it's just too much. I prefer his Flecktones stuff, which a lot of people seem to, over his solo stuff.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
Quote by matt92l
again, sorry that goes to show how he plays bass.He plays it like lead guitar! its the BASS INTRUMENT!
i will say however, your example there was very nice and ill check out more of their stuff!

That little improvisation duel gave me shivers the first time I heard it. Guess how much I care "he plays it like a guitar". Get your priorities straight.

Click.
His solo work is quite boring, like shred. In fact, its the bass equivilent of shred. I'll have to check out the Flecktones sometime.
I'm really not a fan. His solo songs are more just vehicles to demonstrate a particular technique, and the Flecktones stuff does nothing for me either.
Disregarding my previous comment, that link was awesome, I'm 'acquiring' some of his Flecktones stuff now
Quote by mynamesedson
I asked my son he said nothing but he just asked me he wants a psyachatrist (spelling?) Because he heard voices calling out his name. What a freak.

Control your life through insanity.

Igneuspentheism
I reckon Vic is one of the most amazingly talented musicians of recent times.

I have worked out some of his tunes with the help of sheet music, and it really helps with technique and tightness.

Check out my Wooten bass style vids with TABs , here-

Me and My Bass Guitar

http://jasperlamb.googlepages.com/meandmybassguitarmainriffwtab

Double Thumb Warm up

http://jasperlamb.googlepages.com/doublethumpingwarmupexercise

U Can't Hold No Groove

http://jasperlamb.googlepages.com/ucan%27tholdnogroovelessonwtab
Quote by matt92l
now nathan east! theres a bass player!

You mean Marcus Miller!
The thing he does the most that I cannot stand is the endless slapping he does. It sounds like absolute s**t as opposed to music. I think a lot of bass players have that problem, actually. That's why I convinced the one in my band to get a fretless
Honestly, from the stuff I've seen on youtube, I'm not a big fan.

As has been said I think, sometimes he plays so many notes that is just sounds like a fast jumble. No musical quality whatsoever to my ears.

I'm sure he is capable of playing well in a band setting, but I have no interest in him individually.
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
Victor Wooten is a monster any way you look at it. I don't see why you kids on here don't like him just because he isn't the same as other bass players.
Follow me on instagram @createdaily
Quote by mercedesisbenz
Victor Wooten is a monster any way you look at it. I don't see why you kids on here don't like him just because he isn't the same as other bass players.

Yeah he is a monster, damn right.

He goes over the top and as said he uses songs as a vehicle to show of a particular technique. And sure he isn't the same as other bass players, but his music is the equivalent of the mindless playing of Steve Vai.
It's not because he is different that I don't like him. I just don't connect with the music he makes. It doesn't do it for me.
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
Yeah, I think that with any instrument, when you take it wayyy over the top it loses some of its appeal. I don't like listening to Vic by himself, don't like listening to drummers showing off, and I don't like G3. But, Vic's stuff with the Flecktones is great. My brother actually met Wooten after a show last summer. Apparently he seems like a nice enough guy.
Best all around bass player of the generation. Sure bass players can be better then him in some aspects for instance people claim Marcus Miller is the funkiest bass player and he is funkier than wooten but hes more flashy and technical.
Referring to Victor Wooten
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

That's all I heard in that entire interview.

My Band:
http://www.myspace.com/closedfortonight
i had no clue a bass could be played that fast. and its about time a bass took the lead in a song.
I seriously doubt anyone saying his solo stuff is nothing but shred has heard anything other than the "ZOMG! leik reeely fast bass gitar" videos on youtube.

Actually listen to a whole album before you comment on someone.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Quote by ahindi
i had no clue a bass could be played that fast. and its about time a bass took the lead in a song.
How many examples would you like of songs where the bassist leads?