Hey,
sorry if this is in wrong section but need ya help.. HOW do you do these squeally things!!?! i can get a little sound and i know u need to hit with a bit of flesh but can someone explain it in extreme detail bcoz im finding it extremely difficult.. couldnt find any helpful youtube vids either.
What you do is basically smack a middle string while you dive in with your bar, and then in a quick motion you slightly brush a finger on that string around the third fret, kinda like a harmonic brush, and then pull back on the bar, if you keep trying that, I bet you will get a few soon enough! Good luck man.
hide your kids, hide your wife.

Quote by angus_young_32
I'd rather kill myself than commit suicide.

UG Hatecrew FTW
I dont think he's referring to harmonics using the bar.

As for pinch harmonics, when fretting a note, usually a low G or C at the 3rd fret. Make sure that part of your thumb hits the string at the same time as the pick, it takes a far bit of practise to find to right harmonic nodes on each string.
Hold you pick with just a slither of the edge poking out 1mm-2mm usually

As you strike the string, sweep the edge of your thumb over the string and put a vibrato on to the fretted note

Provided you caught the string properly with your thumb it should sound a harmonic.

Tips to make it easier

Bridge pick-up
High gain
High volume
Quote by hmmm_de_hum
I dont think he's referring to harmonics using the bar.

As for pinch harmonics, when fretting a note, usually a low G or C at the 3rd fret. Make sure that part of your thumb hits the string at the same time as the pick, it takes a far bit of practise to find to right harmonic nodes on each string.

oops, I thought he was referring to dimesqueals.

Quote by angus_young_32

UG Hatecrew FTW
Just to reiderate, once you actually find out how to do them, remember that practice is the key, the one and only key.
We've drained full confession booths, polluted drinking wells with our repentances, and then stood grinning with our arms around the shoulder of a rotting child.

If you resist change, you will be here forever.
I use the ring finger for pinch harmonics. I rest it gently on the string while picking it.

Is that wrong? xD
Quote by Warlock_
I use the ring finger for pinch harmonics. I rest it gently on the string while picking it.

Is that wrong? xD

There's nothing wrong with style, just do you. I wouldn't say it's the most common way, but if it works and you have an easier time doing it, than keep doing it.

Quote by angus_young_32

UG Hatecrew FTW
Quote by Warlock_

Is that wrong? xD

In answer to your question:

Does it work?

No = Yes.
Yes = No.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube

Does it work?

No = Yes.
Yes = No.

I wouldn't agree with that, there are many ways to variate the way your finger fibers brush the string. It's kinda like saying, "can I glue this wood together instead of bolting it?". It may not be popular or work the best, but you can totally keep using it, and customizing from there. I think one of the greatest things about guitars is making your own methods, even if it doesn't make a popular sound. It's all opinionated, just like the entire world you know. I know where you're coming from though, it wont sound as good as a pro using a pinch harmonic, but you can make a unique sound trying to brush different spots and different ways, and what sounds good to some people can sound like crap to others, ect.

Quote by angus_young_32

UG Hatecrew FTW
Quote by bloodycomfort
I wouldn't agree with that, there are many ways to variate the way your finger fibers brush the string. It's kinda like saying, "can I glue this wood together instead of bolting it?". It may not be popular or work the best, but you can totally keep using it, and customizing from there. I think one of the greatest things about guitars is making your own methods, even if it doesn't make a popular sound. It's all opinionated, just like the entire world you know. I know where you're coming from though, it wont sound as good as a pro using a pinch harmonic, but you can make a unique sound trying to brush different spots and different ways, and what sounds good to some people can sound like crap to others, ect.

so you just said you disagree with the opinion you followed up with? unless i've completely misread that.

i agree that my post wasn't the easiest to interpret. what i meant is if it works then he's doing the technique a way which works for him, therefore its correct. If it he's not happy with the outcome of using that technique, he's doing it wrong.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

Quote by Blompcube

Does it work?

No = Yes.
Yes = No.

From what I understood from this, it means No = Yes, and Yes = No. Lol. Meaning No is correct and yes in incorrect. Sorry.

Quote by angus_young_32

UG Hatecrew FTW
Quote by bloodycomfort
From what I understood from this, it means No = Yes, and Yes = No. Lol. Meaning No is correct and yes in incorrect. Sorry.

He was asking if it was wrong, not if it was right so its kindof a double negative.

in answer to if it works, so if it works then no its not wrong (therefore its correct) and if it doesn't work it is wrong.

argh i find that a little confusing myself

i do the whole "catch ur thumb on the string when u strum" thing and im playing like the g and or b string around the 12th fret trying to get it to work but it dont .. i try not to hold it completely down also n still doesnt work.
use the bridge pickup with a bit of gain. I find it's easier to do with the pick angled toward the neck.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by braydz
i do the whole "catch ur thumb on the string when u strum" thing and im playing like the g and or b string around the 12th fret trying to get it to work but it dont .. i try not to hold it completely down also n still doesnt work.

Try around the third fret. A good way to start is to do it slowly to the point were there's no speed at all. To understand how it works, just hold ur 3rd fret on any middle string, pick the note as you would normally, then try brushing fibers of ur finger on the string near where u pick, and u will notice a change in the sound, then u just vibrato from there.

Quote by angus_young_32

UG Hatecrew FTW
I find the 9th fret works well.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
i dont do the thing where you put the pick barely sticking out like most, i do it paul gilbert style where you pick a little harder an do kinda of a hook motion an hit the string with your thumb xD just look it up on youtube he explains it in a seemingly newish video
Jackson DK2M Dinky Pro W/ EMG 81/85 18v Black
ESP LTD EC-1000 W/ EMG 81/60 See Thru Blue
Schecter C-1 HellRaiser W/ EMG 81TW/89 Black Cherry
Peavey 6505 W/ 2x12 V30
Quote by bloodycomfort
Try around the third fret. A good way to start is to do it slowly to the point were there's no speed at all. To understand how it works, just hold ur 3rd fret on any middle string, pick the note as you would normally, then try brushing fibers of ur finger on the string near where u pick, and u will notice a change in the sound, then u just vibrato from there.

It doesn't really matter where you fret, it matters where you pick. The harmonic nodes appear at exactly the same relative points as the natural harmonics on the open string, but because you've decreased the length of the vibrating string they've shifted accordingly.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Watch this video. It really helped me a lot and should help you too.
http://groups.ultimat e-guitar.com/aa08s/

Squint your eyes to see clearly. Blur reality to make it real.

Quote by Magic Jim
"Jimmy! Eat your peas!"
"It's not illegal if I don't"
"k, koo"

Imagine if life was like that.

Awesome
Quote by braydz
Hey,
sorry if this is in wrong section but need ya help.. HOW do you do these squeally things!!?! i can get a little sound and i know u need to hit with a bit of flesh but can someone explain it in extreme detail bcoz im finding it extremely difficult.. couldnt find any helpful youtube vids either.

Sorry. Ya know. I searched the whole thread and not once did someone here think (this post-er) might be thinking about... clitoris' instead. Clitoris' are a whole different instrument my friend. A whole different instrument.

heh.
You will have trouble learning this from someone else. It will take a while for you to get it.
I like to write, and support Chemistry For Improved Life.

Please, recommend me any bands or artists of any genre or medium. Paintings, poets, writers, books, paintings, songs, musicians.

Anything, anything at all. Please.
Another note about harmonics in general; the slacker your strings are, the easier for me they are to hit. I'm sure there is some theory-related reason for this, but it isn't one that I know.
1. mystical fails harder then words can possibly describe
2. thanks 4 everyone givin me a hand.. if you have any more vids/sites or advice or anything to chip in feel free because i still cant do this properly.. or if you got any info on how i can improve anythign on guitar (6months or so playing now) just drop me a line thanks
Quote by braydz
1. mystical fails harder then words can possibly describe
2. thanks 4 everyone givin me a hand.. if you have any more vids/sites or advice or anything to chip in feel free because i still cant do this properly.. or if you got any info on how i can improve anythign on guitar (6months or so playing now) just drop me a line thanks

I wouldn't worry about pinch harmonics yet, they're not what you'd call an "essential" technique and I doubt that your general picking technique is developed enough for you to be able to make much use of pinches even if you did get the hang of them. Once you can do them it atill takes a long time to be able to incorporate them into your playing, they're not something you really need to be worried about just yet.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
thanks 4 that vid it helped.. i can sort of get the sound now but with more practice ill get better.. im playing on a piece of **** epi les paul junior with 1 pickup, next week my new schecter comes in so i shuold be able to get some nice sweet sounds outa that with my new amp 2, then ill be able to tell whether its me or the guitar