Hey

Wayhee! My birthday's coming up, and I'm gonna have about £120 or so to spend, and I fancy an effects pedal. Already getting a Epi valve jr from my dad, so an amp s covered.

So what do you guys recommend?

Cheers

Joe
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
What kind of music do you play?
Gear
Epiphone G-400
Orange Tiny Terror
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cabinet
Blackstar HT-Dual
MXR 10-Band EQ
what kinda music do you play? i notice you have a holy stain on your gas list. the reverb on it is very good and sounds great on my epi vj. reverb and an eq pedal are almost a must have. a tube screamer is a is very nice to have.
For a multi effects pedal, I'd suggest the zoom g2.u, the one with the expression pedal, but you haven't specified a certain sound you want so, I can't give you a good answer.
What I want in my rig (Bold = gear I have):
Ibanez SZ-520QM
Vintage VECJ100BK
Epiphone Dot
Laney VC15
Boss GE7
Boss SD1
Zoom G2
Maybe a reverb pedal, since the Valve Jr. doesn't have one. And maybe a kickass overdrive.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
EHX holy grail and a EHX Big muff?
Fender USA Telecaster
Laney VC30-210
Vox Wah
That's it :|
Ah, knew I forgot something... I play mostly rock and metal. From Metallica, Iron Maiden, to Santana. All sorts really.
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
TBH I'd probably pool the money with your dad and keep saving for a better amp more suited to those styles of music.
Fender USA Telecaster
Laney VC30-210
Vox Wah
Quote by UpTheIrons!
TBH I'd probably pool the money with your dad and keep saving for a better amp more suited to those styles of music.

+1

That or maybe a nice Blackstar OD to get you into metal territory.
Gear
Epiphone G-400
Orange Tiny Terror
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cabinet
Blackstar HT-Dual
MXR 10-Band EQ
Fair enough... Well with my dads cash, I can probably get to about £200 or so. How would a Blackheart BH5 little giant work? Seems pretty nice.
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
^ haven't tried it, but it has no master volume; i'd assume it won't really do hard rock and metal.

Quote by UpTheIrons!

agreed. add your £120 to the price of the VJ and you're more or less in range of a laney vc15. save a little longer and you could get something even more aimed at the music you want.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
A laney lc/vc15 would be good, but maybe a modelling amp would be better for your metal playing. A Vox Valvetronix or Roland Cube?
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

a holy stain and metal muff works great with the vj. in time you might want to upgrade the speaker if you buy the epi cab.
Last edited by mmjohn at Aug 8, 2008,
Quote by Horlicks
VC15 is 10x better even without effects

$599.00 for the vc15 with a 1x10 jensen speaker...........$249 for the VJ $100 for the metal muff, $100 for the holy stain 1x12 cab.............you do the math. the laney is not a metal machine on it's own. more bluesy.
Quote by mmjohn
$599.00 for the vc15 with a 1x10 jensen speaker...........$249 for the VJ $100 for the metal muff, $100 for the holy stain 1x12 cab.............you do the math. the laney is not a metal machine on it's own. more bluesy.

Have you tried one? Mine can do metal great. VC's are much more expensive in America, we're talking £'s here.
Quote by Horlicks
Have you tried one? Mine can do metal great. VC's are much more expensive in America, we're talking £'s here.

i can't find a single vid of a laney vc15 getting anywhere close to metal without help. but if you say so.
Quote by mmjohn
i can't find a single vid of a laney vc15 getting anywhere close to metal without help. but if you say so.

And you think a VJ CAN get metal without help?
^exactly!
The Laney can't do metal by itself, but it can do it much better than a VJ.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
Quote by Horlicks
And you think a VJ CAN get metal without help?

didn't you read my post................i told him to get a metal muff. where in any post on this thread did i say he could get to metal with out a pedal.............READ BRFORE YOU POST!
Quote by jimbob78
A laney lc/vc15 would be good, but maybe a modelling amp would be better for your metal playing. A Vox Valvetronix or Roland Cube?

yeah, those would also be worth considering. as always, best thing is to try the valve junior + pedal, laney vc15 + pedal, and valvetronix/cube to see which you prefer.

regarding the valve junior, prices have dropped recently; you can pick up the combo for £75 now, or the mini-stack for £120. Also, the version 3 has been released, which allegedly has fixed the input resistor values and the output transformer impedance problem- i'd make sure i got a version 3 if i decided on the VJ (and also make sure you don't pay the old prices!).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
regarding the vj versus vc15 for metal: i think the problem is that he has enough money for a laney vc15 + no pedal, or enough for the valve junior + a pedal. Again, you'd need to try both under those circumstances to see which you prefer.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
regarding the vj versus vc15 for metal: i think the problem is that he has enough money for a laney vc15 + no pedal, or enough for the valve junior + a pedal. Again, you'd need to try both under those circumstances to see which you prefer.

that was the point i was making.
Quote by mmjohn
that was the point i was making.

yeah.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Right, after much deliberation, I think I'll go with the VJ and a pedal. Most probably a Blackstar HT Distortion.

Cheers for the help guys
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
Sounds like a good choice
Fender USA Telecaster
Laney VC30-210
Vox Wah