Hey all, I've had my Jag HH since April and I love it.
I usually play a lot of rock, metal and punk/grunge which it handles exceptionally, but every once in a while I enjoy playing some "cleaner" stuff. This is when I miss my Strat's single coils... ^^'

I won't say my Jag's humbuckers are bad for these clean tunes (coz they aren't) but they're just not the same a a Strat's single coils.

So my question today (this was my question yesterday too but got no replies so consider this a kind of bump ):
How can I add a coil split feature to my Jag (like in the new Classic Player Jags)? And can I do this without changing the stock humbuckers ("Fender Dragster Humbucking Pickups")?

Ideally I'd like to replace the 2-way on-off pickup sliders with 3-way sliders (on-off-coil split). A friend also suggested I should change the bass cut (strangle) switch into an out-of-phase switch but I can do that later, it's not too important.

What do you guys think?

BTW although I know how to use a soldering iron, I'm not an electronics pro so please don't hesitate to make diagrams and to explain in a little more detail if you deem necessary.

I'd apreciate any help I get.

Thanks,
WmH
The last Jaguar I worked on had 2 conductor humbuckers.

You can modify two wire humbuckers if you open them up and locate the leads to the coils. This is a pretty difficult soldering trick, but it is possible. You just have to remove the 2 conductor wire leading in and replace it with a 4 conductor wire. Locate the lead that jumpers the two coils together, split it, and wire one side each to the extra two conductors you now have.

It's not a beginner's soldering job, thats for sure.

You should really have a Strat laying around instead of trying to split those humbuckers.
All my photobucket pics are dead so no links to my guitar build threads.
My Music
Hmm alright, thanks for the info guys.

I guess I'll have to get new humbuckers then. Any suggestions of a good pair of humbuckers that are good for splitting?

What about invaders? Although they look killer I've heard a lot of good and bad things about them... ^^'
Okay, basically I'm looking for some fairly hot humbuckers, good for overdrive and distortion but they should also have a good clean sound. Should also be splittable.
I guess so, but just a bit. I found that the Jag's stock buckers were a good balance which is why I wanted to avoid changing them.
But something slightly fatter would probably suit my playing style.
Had a look at those pickups and some others and came across the SHPR-1 P-Rails Humbuckers by Seymour Duncan. They look... um... interesting, but it's really the description that got my attention:

"Flexible coil-splitting humbucker is ready for anything.

The Seymor Duncan SHPR-1 P-Rails is a full-size humbucker pickup that can be split to either a "real deal" P-90 or a traditional single-coil. Perfect for a wide variety of styles including country, pop, surf, jazz, blues, classic rock, and heavy rock.

Description
Until now, if you wanted humbucker, P-90, and vintage Strat tones, you d have to haul three guitars to the gig. Enter P-Rails. It s a full-size humbucker that splits to either a full-size P-90 or a special Alnico-powered single-coil Rail pickup. The humbucker sound is full and expansive, owing to the mis-matched coil configuration. The P-90 is a super fat. And the Rail coils, when used together, sound like the 2 and 4 positions in a great Strat."

Here are the Guitar Center links:
Bridge
Neck

Are these really as good as the description states?
Quote by forsaknazrael
I don't think they're worth how ugly they make your guitar look.

That's not really a poblem though, I can always get some nice chrome covers for them (if the ones I already have dont fit).
Lol, but sound-wise (imagine they looked more or less normal ^^'), do you think they are good/worth it?