Hi,

I just got my guitar and I'm trying to play the rythm part of Yellowcard's "Ocean Avenue".

It's real simple but it has to be played while palm muting. This is ok for the verses but when the chorus kicks in it switches to quite fast strumming.

Because of this fast strumming my wrist starts to hurt very fast while playing and muting. Is this normal in the beginning or am I doing something wrong? Also, I can not for the life of me alternate strum that part, I have to do all notes with a downstroke, don't know if that's ok?

Greets,
Enclose
Are you sure you're palm muting correctly? The correct way to palm mute is to place the fleshy part of your hand which connects to your pinky on the bridge, like you're KARATE CHOPPING the bridge, and then you adjust it as you like until you get the sound YOU want.

You may want to stay away from that song if you're JUST beginning, you should work on single note alternate picking practice until you feel you're comfortable enough to alternate pick two strings, once your picking hand is accurate and strong enough to handle it.
Last edited by XianXiuHong at Aug 8, 2008,
Don't worry at all, it's normal to get tired wrists etc when you first start out.
As you practice more your muscles will improve.
Also, just keep practicing your alternate strumming. Practice very slowly until you acheive a nice steady rhythmn and gradually speed up.
Everyone on this site will tell you that it all takes practice and patience.
Just stick with it and you'll improve in no time.
Good luck.
My gear:
Fender 50th anniv American Strat Deluxe NICE
Fender Eric johnson Strat SEXY
Gibson SG Special Gothic II RAW
Ibanez JS 1000 VERSATILE
Gibson Les Paul Custom OOH BABY
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Head & Cab LET'S ROCK
Last edited by Hammy at Aug 9, 2008,
Thanks for the quick replies.

XianXiuHong, I think I'm doing it correct I believe. Like you said, it's kinda like I'm "karate chopping" the strings right at the bridge.

Well, I guess it'll improve with time then. I'll take it slow and stop whenever my wrist hurts too bad.
Some people put their guitars too low so their wrists are in an awkward position when palmmuting. But I'm guessing you're playing this sitting down.
Quote by kwon182
Some people put their guitars too low so their wrists are in an awkward position when palmmuting. But I'm guessing you're playing this sitting down.

Yup, I'm sitting down 90% of the time I'm playing. And when I'm standing the strings are at the heigth fo my belly button.
You'll build up stamina in your wrist the more you play, i also got tired in my wrist pretty fast in the beginning when playing with downpicking, but just practice
now i can play like light to flies with only downpicking, except the solos ofcourse
Guitar: Ibanez RGR321 EXBK

Amp: Bugera 6260 head + 4x12 cab