View poll results: which amp
Roland Cube 30
62 81%
Line6 Spider III 30
6 8%
Other (please state)
9 12%
Voters: 77.
okay i can get etheir of these amps for below £130 in the UK. if you selected other can you please say what amp and the price.
thanks

EDIT: i play mostly rock, punk and metal

EDIT again. i have just seen a vox AD30VT-XL is this any good
remember kids, you can't spell bass without ass

RIP Jimmy 'The Rev' Sullivan

Quote by _bacon_

Also, I would tap Helena Bonham Carter like a Van Halen solo.
Last edited by WARLOCK123 at Aug 8, 2008,
Definitely Cube 30x for heavier stuff, but check out vox AD30VT for rock/heavy rock sort of stuff.
Last edited by Spudderz at Aug 9, 2008,
the general consensus is that the Cube is a better amp than the Spider, i haven't personally played either of those amps though.

Another amp you can look at is the Vox AD30VT, which you can get for £130.

You can't really go wrong with the Cube or the AD30VT though
^ yeah ive just been lokkin at that amp and the AD30VT-XL

Quote by _bacon_

Last edited by WARLOCK123 at Aug 8, 2008,
cube if anything, i made the mistake of getting a spider...id look into vox valvetronix though..... heard nothing but good things about them
Get a Valve Junior and start a pedal board. Don't waste hundreds $$$ on SS amps like i did.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
^ how are they a waste of money

Quote by _bacon_

Quote by scott58
Get a Valve Junior and start a pedal board. Don't waste hundreds $$$ on SS amps like i did.

What? If you are just starting guitar then a modelling amp is a very good option. Beginners will be able to find out what they like and don't like. IMO, starting a pedal board when you don't really know much about effects is a waste of money
Quote by alexlemon2
What? If you are just starting guitar then a modelling amp is a very good option. Beginners will be able to find out what they like and don't like. IMO, starting a pedal board when you don't really know much about effects is a waste of money

It doesn't say he's just starting out and even so, questions can be asked about pedals just as easily as cheap SS amps. The thing is he'll be starting out with tone that exceeds most SS amps. To my ear my $150 vj combo (i also have the head/cab)sounds better then $350 SS amps. Add $200 worth of pedals for the same price and your good to go. Or even a cheap multi will run with SS amps through a Vj. Just my $.02, but my tone got much better since I got the Vj and it retired all my SS amps basically the same day i got it.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
Yea i suppose so, but the VJ can't really do anything but clean unless you turn it up, but that would be too loud for most home usage. Plus you don't really get any tone control except from the tone control on your guitar.

He wants to play metal so he would either have to get an OD or a metal muff or something of the sort, which could be up to £100 - not forgetting that we are in the UK where VJ combos are up to and around £80 - leaving him barely enough for 1 pedal

In other situations, i would favour the VJ and pedals, but in this situation i'd say other options are better
It's certainly about the money, but in the long run if he stays with guitar. He'll be alot ahead. How much does a Bad monkey go for in the UK? Before he decides he should at least try it. For the money I have in SS amps here i could have bought a nice new MIM tele or strat (or whatever for that matter). That's all i'm saying.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
^ ive been playin for about 7 months

Quote by _bacon_

I second the Roland.

I also would normally agree with the valve junior, but for a guitarist who has been playing for under a year, a Modeling amp is like a godsend.

I'm mainly saying this because with the Cube,he can experiment with a lot of different tones and effects for a lot less money. Who knows, Maybe he'll end up with a VJ in a year or two (but I doubt it. the VJ doesn't really scream METALL!!).
Last edited by JMTrio134 at Aug 8, 2008,
right im gonna create a new thread cos i cant edit the pole

Quote by _bacon_

Quote by JMTrio134
(but I doubt it. the VJ doesn't really scream METALL!!).

With a POD mine does. But there are certain limitations and I think that's more speaker then head. I get into anything like death metal and it sounds like the cab is gonna come apart (i wish I was kidding). But stuff up to Iron maiden and metalica it's doable and scorpians or dokken and 80's hair metal stuff it's perfect for and of course any classic rock. I do agree that the cube is probably the best bet if your budget is that limited and some versatility is a must, but in the end your giving up alot to save what will amount to be very little. My Vj retired my transtube amp that cost alot more then the cube (and sounds alot better) and didn't break a sweat doing it.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by alexlemon2

agreed. i'd try out the cube 30 and the valvetronix (both the XL and the non-XL).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^thanks that scott guy was really confusing me

Quote by _bacon_

Out of the ones you listed, I would pick the Cube. I would even rate the Spider over the Vox -XL, although the non-XL Vox would rate higher.
^ why would you rate the spider over the vox - xl

Quote by _bacon_

Because the XL is super muddy, even with the treble cranked. The regular Vox AD is much better and cheaper. But if you want an amp for metal, I would pick the Cube.
Quote by WARLOCK123
^thanks that scott guy was really confusing me

i like the valve junior (i have one), but if you're only starting out (or not too long after starting out), a modelling amp is probably easier, to be honest.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by rhettro
Because the XL is super muddy, even with the treble cranked. The regular Vox AD is much better and cheaper. But if you want an amp for metal, I would pick the Cube.

well other people have said vox are better than the cube for metal. and ive read the most recent reviews of the vox AD30VT and people have said its really unreliable

Quote by _bacon_

The cubes are always a good choice.
I just finished a review video for the micro cube Roland amp, its in my youtube (see my sig)

its not the Cube30 but they are fairly similar IMO...
as for the poll, I say the Cube amp.
Wait until the peavey vyper sereies comes out, I think its next month sometime. I've heard that they are going to blow us away!
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
^ yeah but i bet they'll cost loads

Quote by _bacon_

I say the Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I vote for the VOX
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Roland Cube 30.
Guitars

- Epiphone Les Paul Standard Ebony Finish
- Hohner Hc-06 Classical guitar

Amplifiers

-Roland Cube 30x
Effects
- Vox Wah-wah
looks like i'm gonna have to go for the cube

Quote by _bacon_