So, I finally sold my Randall amp and am now in a bit of a pickle.

I have a fernandes guitar, but recently saw a Gibson on sale for an amazing price. here's the issue however. If I buy the guitar, I will have no amp and have to save up again for one. I can also get a 5150 combo for the same price as the Gibson, or I can get a SS combo and get another cheaper guitar as I really want two guitars for standard and then drop tunings.

What do you guys think? This may be my one shot at getting a Gibson but the 5150 combo is a great price as well. I am not gigging though, so a SS and another guitar would be cool too because then I could play all the tunes I really want to. Confused and need some input.
Buy the gibson, and get a cheap amp just for now

Everyone here will tell u to get the amnp cos amps create most of the tone e.t.c...

But u can wait for a month or so right?

More information.

What model Gibson and what are they asking for?

In the end, an amp is more important than a guitar, so if you go for a guitar without an amp, you better be making sure you're getting a real steal.
It's a Gibson Les Paul Special (not the epiphone special) and is the faded wood black finish. I can get it for 550$ plus taxes. The guitars have been discontinued and it looks real ****ing sweet. Is it worth it?
Quote by suffersystem
**** it, bought the Gibson!

I am now the proud owner of my very first USA made Gibson guitar!!!!!!!!

Pics!!
"Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel."- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by al112987
More information.

What model Gibson and what are they asking for?

In the end, an amp is more important than a guitar, so if you go for a guitar without an amp, you better be making sure you're getting a real steal.

agreed.

EDIT: just realised you bought the guitar- it looks very nice. That'd be a great price here in the UK, but i have no idea about prices in Canada so i can't help you there...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Aug 8, 2008,
Quote by suffersystem
It's not as faded as the one in the pic, but it's got the serial and made in USA stamped on the back. No factory second or nothing, looks real enough to me.

Its probably the real deal... But I would still run the Serial.... I've seen some Japanese fakes that you couldnt tell by looking at them and they too have USA stamped on them. They even come in a gibson box lol
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Its probably the real deal... But I would still run the Serial.... I've seen some Japanese fakes that you couldnt tell by looking at them and they too have USA stamped on them. They even come in a gibson box lol

Thanks man! I'll run the serial and see what I can come up with. I appreciate the help.
HOLD THE PHONE RIGHT NOW.

If you said you had a fernandes, and now you have a gibson, that means you have two guitars.

Why would you buy another one along with a cheap amp, to have two. YOU ALREADY HAVE TWO ARRRGHHK;FS'FD
'ASSA;DLJS

Anyways.

Where did you get that Fernandes? I want to buy one locally.
Quote by injected
HOLD THE PHONE RIGHT NOW.

If you said you had a fernandes, and now you have a gibson, that means you have two guitars.

Why would you buy another one along with a cheap amp, to have two. YOU ALREADY HAVE TWO ARRRGHHK;FS'FD
'ASSA;DLJS

Anyways.

Where did you get that Fernandes? I want to buy one locally.

I only had one guitar at the begining of the thread. I just was torn between what to spend my money on, but the Gibson won me over. It's just that now I have no amp and have to save up for one. I was looking at the Crate V33 and it seemed like a nice little amp and is only 350$ from a Canadian website and is all tubed.
Quote by suffersystem
Thanks man! I'll run the serial and see what I can come up with. I appreciate the help.

No problem

Quote by suffersystem
I only had one guitar at the begining of the thread. I just was torn between what to spend my money on, but the Gibson won me over. It's just that now I have no amp and have to save up for one. I was looking at the Crate V33 and it seemed like a nice little amp and is only 350$ from a Canadian website and is all tubed.

Just goes to show you the strong hold Gibson has on people.. Which is one of the reasons I hate them so much.. When you have a guy that would pick having two guitars and no amp just because the guitar is a Gibson theres a problem there...
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Aug 8, 2008,
sorry but IMO the minimum appearance of a Les Paul should include: trapezoid/square (ANYTHING but dots UGGGHHH) inlays, CURVED body top and NOT faded. your gibson isn't the ugliest of LPs but it doesn't look much better than an Epi special.

sorry when it comes to les pauls i'm VERY picky about appearance.....and no les paul should have dot inlays. sorry but i woulda just rather got an Epi LP custom.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Just goes to show you the strong hold Gibson has on people.. Which is one of the reasons I hate them so much.. When you have a guy that would pick having two guitars and no amp just because the guitar is a Gibson theres a problem there...

I guess it was just the simple fact of being tired of owning entry level guitars and wanting something professional. It was my one chance to own a guitar of owrth, so I had to jump on it. Would have been the same for me if it was a Jackson as well, as I love Jackson V's but only could ever afford an entry level one. My better half, lol, won't let me get anything crazy expensive as since I don't play with a band or anything, she can't see how I shopuld spend so much money on a hobby that I play in my little computer room.
Quote by suffersystem
I guess it was just the simple fact of being tired of owning entry level guitars and wanting something professional. It was my one chance to own a guitar of owrth, so I had to jump on it. Would have been the same for me if it was a Jackson as well, as I love Jackson V's but only could ever afford an entry level one. My better half, lol, won't let me get anything crazy expensive as since I don't play with a band or anything, she can't see how I shopuld spend so much money on a hobby that I play in my little computer room.

I completely understand the urge for something better and picking something up while you can. But nice guitar and no amp is a bit different to me. I can see that if the guitar was acoustic guitar but the fact its an electric guitar makes it almost pointless because you cant fully enjoy the fact its something professional because you dont have anything to plug it into... Thats like buying a $5000k dollar amp head with no cab.. Another thing I cant understand. Sure you say your gonna get an amp or something later but odds are your gonna sell it off before that happens because you cant fully enjoy it. And unless you have an amp its simply a waste of money. I can understand it if you were gonna only have to wait a month, but you already have a guitar with no amp and its taken you this long to save up $550 bucks to get to this point. So how long are you gonna have to wait till you finally get enough for an amp.
Quote by suffersystem

Ok cool i get it now, but where'd you grab the fernandes?
Quote by slash_rocks2005
sorry but IMO the minimum appearance of a Les Paul should include: trapezoid/square (ANYTHING but dots UGGGHHH) inlays, CURVED body top and NOT faded. your gibson isn't the ugliest of LPs but it doesn't look much better than an Epi special.

sorry when it comes to les pauls i'm VERY picky about appearance.....and no les paul should have dot inlays. sorry but i woulda just rather got an Epi LP custom.

i actually like dots on les paul juniors and specials (both single and double cuts).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by suffersystem

those crate v-series amps are meant to be quite nice, but i haven't tried them. I think slatsmania has, though- might be worth a pm.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
a double cut LP could look fine w/ dots, but a single cut....no way. there's just something about the shape and curves of the body that don't quite compliment anything less than more filled out frets.

i love dots on strats....but on a paul...it just makes me wanna barf LOL. all opinion of course
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
oh yeah, of course it's 100% personal preference.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
all depends. if the body is a solid color finish then yea that's cool, but if the body has a pretty nice finish that is either somewhat transparent or multiple colors/shades, then you need the neck to look somewhat balanced with it.

there's a lot of exceptions i make for certain guitars, but for the most part that's my general idea for aesthetics.

slash_edit: you don't want the fun to just end after the body, ya know? it's like checkin' out a lady from bottom to top and she's got an awesome bod, but a realllll butterface. sure, you can still rock her, but it's not as satisfying when you have to put a bag over the head.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by slash_rocks2005
all depends. if the body is a solid color finish then yea that's cool, but if the body has a pretty nice finish that is either somewhat transparent or multiple colors/shades, then you need the neck to look somewhat balanced with it.

there's a lot of exceptions i make for certain guitars, but for the most part that's my general idea for aesthetics.

slash_edit: you don't want the fun to just end after the body, ya know? it's like checkin' out a lady from bottom to top and she's got an awesome bod, but a realllll butterface. sure, you can still rock her, but it's not as satisfying when you have to put a bag over the head.

+1

I like pretty much anything as long as it goes with the guitar.. Ibanez I prefer none, Gibson Block or Trap, Esp it depends, Schecter Dancing ladys and on expensive custom guitars usually I prefer abalone inlays.
^absolutely, you look at em the same way i do. certain types of guitars can get away w/ simplest of simplicity, but others need the balancing of aesthetics to satisfy my tastes.

sometimes even a bad headstock can turn me off lol, like a really nice gibson w/ everything looking good, and then the headstock(only on the ones that have NO headstock binding) just has 'Gibson' on it.....even having that little mother of pearl decal in the middle is fine as long as the headstock doesn't look like it took two minutes to draw up lol.

anyone tell how picky i am? too much empty space is not a good thing IMO
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by slash_rocks2005
^absolutely, you look at em the same way i do. certain types of guitars can get away w/ simplest of simplicity, but others need the balancing of aesthetics to satisfy my tastes.

sometimes even a bad headstock can turn me off lol, like a really nice gibson w/ everything looking good, and then the headstock(only on the ones that have NO headstock binding) just has 'Gibson' on it.....even having that little mother of pearl decal in the middle is fine as long as the headstock doesn't look like it took two minutes to draw up lol.

anyone tell how picky i am? too much empty space is not a good thing IMO

Yup, each guitar has its own personality and things should match.. Thats one reason I hate mass production, but yet hate custom prices lol

Im only a fan of no binding on fenders generally if its a Gibson/Epiphone Les Paul it better have Binding. Even Ibanez's i love with binding and how can a $300 guitar have binding but a $800+ or even $2500+ Gibson not have binding that still trips me out. Im also a big fan of 12th fret markers like the old Gibson Goth's. Anymore on that guitar would have been to much but nothing at all would have made it look cheap.

Being picky is what keeps smaller run and custom shops in business so its not just you my friend...
nailed it on the head
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Wait...

So you don't have any amp at all?

If you just wanted a guitar with the name "Gibson" on the headstock, you could've bought a Melody Maker.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Last edited by FacingUsAll at Aug 8, 2008,
I call this a terrible business decison... you bought a low end model LP without playing it and now have no amp... Dude thats just stupid. Now you can't even play rock. Next time, let us respond before making an impulse buy. You just bought a guitar online, thats the stupidest decision anyone could make.
Go with the guitar man. In the time between you get a amp, you can always plug your guitar into your computer and use something such as Guitar Rig.
Quote by drunkinkoala
Yes, I would masturbate a horse.

Quote by MH400
hahahahaha

You win the internet.

Epically.

Quote by l2p_Guitar
Got a chuckle out of me.