i dont know wether this is a stupid question and my friend is talking crap, but i'm completely new to bass so i dont know..

is it true that a bass guitar can damage/destroy a normal guitar amp ?

if so....why ?
JP
Yes

Guitar Amps can't handle the low frequencies put out by basses.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
For a bit, but it's best not a risk it.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
Yes

Guitar Amps can't handle the low frequencies put out by basses.

**** i didnt know that
With the same voice coil, at the same volume for a speaker to make a low frequency note it has to physically move much further than for treble frequencies. This causes damage to speakers not designed for bass.
Quote by big-jamie
so what differs a bass amp from a normal amp then ?
The speaker voice coils are designed with a higher excursion in mind.
its made for lower frequencies?
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Quote by Necrotic
whoa.. i have a bass and a guitar and i use a bass amp, would that damage my amp?

No, that's fine. Guitars through bass amps sound great, and don't damage the amp - a lot of guitarists use bass amps or cabs for their warm tonal qualities.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by big-jamie
is yours ok though ? lol

i dnt know lol ... i borrowd it from my mate and gave it back 2 him the other day ... ah well XD
this question really caused quite a few ppl to think...at least it was something we can learn from not, have you ever ate cereal with a fork...haha
The only way I know to safely use a guitar amp with a bass is if using it as a second amp to only run highs. That is with a bass amp that has a high frequency preamp out. In this case the guitar amp is really just playing the high frequency for the bass amp.
please please please please please read the FAQ at the top of the page before making threads. This is covered in the FAQ.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Jesus, there are quite a few idiots on here!
You can't comment on gear until you have tried it!
Playing Bass guitar through a guitar amp is not the best of ideas, guitar speakers are not designed for the excursions that bass speakers make; the front and rear suspensions are more flexible on Bass speakers.

Low wattage amps will overheat and also send square wave signals to the speakers; this is because it requires more energy to produce low frequency tones at high sound levels than guitar frequency tones, in attempting to do this with a low wattage amp you will possibly run into two problems; one is you can damage the speakers and secondly you will overwork the amps output stage.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by John Swift
Playing Bass guitar through a guitar amp is not the best of ideas, guitar speakers are not designed for the excursions that bass speakers make; the front and rear suspensions are more flexible on Bass speakers.

Low wattage amps will overheat and also send square wave signals to the speakers; this is because it requires more energy to produce low frequency tones at high sound levels than guitar frequency tones, in attempting to do this with a low wattage amp you will possibly run into two problems; one is you can damage the speakers and secondly you will overwork the amps output stage.
Wow John Swift, you really explained why you shouldn't play a bass through a guitar amp as if you took it out of an encylopedia or something!
Fender FSR Standard Jazz Bass(Sapphire Blue finish!!)
Squier VM TB Bass
Squier Precision Bass(heavily modified)
Behringer 180 Watt Combo<--My EQ pedal made this sound decent O_o until I get my Gallien-Krueger half stack