ok so ive picked up sweep picking to a degree. i figured out three strign sweeps watching a video of satch where he mentioned something about a box style of practiceing for speed so i made something like
--------5-6-7--------
------6-------6-------
----7-----------5-6-7 basically a box shape with and x in it which made my three strigns sweeps pretty good. but i can only do 4 string licks licks i cant do up and down sweeps, what i mean is i can only do sweeps like the one in the intro to fade to black. what i was wondering is how do i train myself to do 4 and 5 string sweeps. i keep trying to do it slow and speed up but i just cant do it that way (im trying to learn it for thunderhorse because its and awesome sweep but i want to learn it to apply it all my playing as it will help my improvising). also how do i form a sweep out of a scale is it best to just make it up based off the notes or is there a good combination of notes in a scale to make a sweep.
i dont use penatonic all that much as i keep forgeting it and i dont remember waht my notes actually stand for on my tabs (like i know what a b2 2 b3 is but i cant remember what exactly they mean and what notes they apply to) so i only use the the seven note scales (cant remeber the techanical name for the diatonic?)
i know thats alot and if i didnt make it clear enough jsut say so and ill correct it, i really want to learn this so any way i can make it easier for someone to help me is fine by me
thanks in advance to nayone who helps
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
Last edited by F8iscruel at Aug 8, 2008,
I started to learn by playing the intro to Glasgow Kiss by John Petrucci. Idk if that helps or not.
--"Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."--
i know tht u sed u dont lıke pantatonıc but tht was the easıest for me. then the hexatonıc blues scale. and then ı fınk ı dıd the c blues scale?
tl;dr
I used some basic 3 and 5 strings shapes along with the intro to Alaska by BTBAM, if that's at all relevant
ohai little sig.
Quote by Mynabull
I started to learn by playing the intro to Glasgow Kiss by John Petrucci. Idk if that helps or not.

i just downloaded the powertab for that, i had heard that before that is amazing. i will try to learn this thats one way to learn sweeping

Quote by LiamBamBam
i know tht u sed u dont lıke pantatonıc but tht was the easıest for me. then the hexatonıc blues scale. and then ı fınk ı dıd the c blues scale?

its not that i dont like penatonics their just so uninteresting if your going to do sweeping, and i know if i learn sweeping with the seven note scale i can apply it to a five note scale a little easier whereas i think for myself learning the five note scale sweep then applying to a seven note scale sweep would be harder. if i said any of that right

Quote by Demonikk
tl;dr
I used some basic 3 and 5 strings shapes along with the intro to Alaska by BTBAM, if that's at all relevant

what are these basic shapes if i may ask?
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
Last edited by F8iscruel at Aug 8, 2008,
Quote by F8iscruel
i just downloaded the powertab for that, i had heard that before that is amazing. i will try to learn this thats one way to learn sweeping

its not that i dont like penatonics their just so uninteresting if your going to do sweeping, and i know if i learn sweeping with the seven note scale i can apply it to a five note scale a little easier whereas i think for myself learning the five note scale sweep then applying to a seven note scale sweep would be harder. if i said any of that right

what are these basic shapes if i may ask?

--------------12-h-15-h-12--------------
-----------13-----------------13----------
--------12-----------------------12-------
-----14-----------------------------14----
--15-----------------------------------15-
--------------------------------------------
For example
ohai little sig.
the basic shape is a standard bar chord

I learnt by watching vids of people such as satch, petrruci, or a few trivium songs, working out the shapes and going over them
i also forgot to ask what is a good setup to get almost no noise when your sweeping/ tapping two hand becuase i all ways end up getting unwanted noise when im tapping how do i stop the other string for vibrating, not to be pompus but im prety good a palmmuting i dont know how to mute the strings or get less feedback when i do double tapping is it a pedal setup or is it all about my fingers. im not sure so that would help too.
and as for the barre chords does that mean this
or am i not doing it right. and also i cant figure out rollign to save my life ive tried ut anytime ive ever actually done it it was just self concious and i unfortunately cant do i if i try. once again thanks to anyone who helps and if im not making since just sya so and ill try to write it better
Quote by haha

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724