http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080807/od_nm/britain_spelling_odd_dc

Why would you even think of something like this? College bound students should NOT be making these kind of **** ups in their spelling. This is what will eventually dumb us down as a whole.
My Gear-

Guitars
- Schecter Gryphon
- Ibanez GRX40

Amp/Effects

- Crate FXT65 With DSP
- Dunlop Cry Baby Classic

My Choice
- DR 9's
- Dunlop 2mm
Quote by saphrax
Whilst we're at it, let's make commonly broken laws legal, remove places nobody has ever heard of from existance and make being ignorant mandatory.

LOL, pwnt.

But seriously, that's a dumb idea they have there.
Ego inflating praise here:
Quote by Fishyesque
That is SOOOOOOOOOOO sig worthy! Pure awesomeness to you, sir.

C wut I did thar Fishy?

's UG
Exactly. Then it'll be a perfekt world.

I swear to God if no one catches that I did that on purpose... haha
My Gear-

Guitars
- Schecter Gryphon
- Ibanez GRX40

Amp/Effects

- Crate FXT65 With DSP

My Choice
- DR 9's
- Dunlop 2mm
So you'd be able to pass an English exam by failing to use correct English?
IT MAKES NO SENSE!
Quote by Alter-Bridge
If I had sex as much as you said the word "shit" I would be paris hilton.

Quote by rworsl
I have never felt closer to either cheese or weasels

Quote by Vermintide

DURN THING DUN GONE MESS UP AGIYAN. MARGE, FETCH ME MAH BOOMSTIYAK
I am German (of German descent anyway)

Did I phail?
My Gear-

Guitars
- Schecter Gryphon
- Ibanez GRX40

Amp/Effects

- Crate FXT65 With DSP

My Choice
- DR 9's
- Dunlop 2mm
Quote by sashki
Well, a misspelling can sometimes change the whole meaning of a word or sentence.

Yup, as simple hyphen can completely change the word resign to it's almost completely opposite friend, re-sign.

Quote by lylewithans182
Do you think pwn will be an acceptable spelling of own, because if it will be than I am all for it.

I believe that in the Oxford dictionary, if a word has been used in literature for at least x years (either 4 or 7, not sure), then it will become part of the dictionary.

That doesn't mean you can use it in Scrabble though!
Quote by lylewithans182
Do you think pwn will be an acceptable spelling of own, because if it will be than I am all for it.

haha
My Gear-

Guitars
- Schecter Gryphon
- Ibanez GRX40

Amp/Effects

- Crate FXT65 With DSP

My Choice
- DR 9's
- Dunlop 2mm
I don't understand the rhyme "i before e except after c", it gives a list of words with them in - "weird, seize, leisure, foreign and neighbor." then says the ryhme is correct but I don't get it :/ (I can spell all the words fine, but not using the rhyme!!)
i think i cud git yoused to dis idea. i cud tlk like dis and git an A!
My Gear-

Guitars
- Schecter Gryphon
- Ibanez GRX40

Amp/Effects

- Crate FXT65 With DSP

My Choice
- DR 9's
- Dunlop 2mm
Quote by Roots_radical
I don't understand the rhyme "i before e except after c", it gives a list of words with them in - "weird, seize, leisure, foreign and neighbor." then says the ryhme is correct but I don't get it :/ (I can spell all the words fine, but not using the rhyme!!)

Yeah, I don't get it either. There are loads of words with the e before i and there is no c in the word.
It's all part of the government plan to dumb down the population; we won't be able to resist the New World Order.

>_>
<_<
pff who cares if they make mistakes sometimes, as long as i know what they mean , i don't care how they write it.
Quote by cokeisbetter
It's all part of the government plan to dumb down the population; we won't be able to resist the New World Order.

>_>
<_<

Maybe the movie Idiocracy was right!

/stocks up on Brawndo
My Gear-

Guitars
- Schecter Gryphon
- Ibanez GRX40

Amp/Effects

- Crate FXT65 With DSP

My Choice
- DR 9's
- Dunlop 2mm
Quote by George Bernard Shaw
"ghoti" could just as well be pronounced "fish" if you followed common pronunciation: 'gh' as in "tough," 'o' as in "women" and 'ti' as in "nation."

Marvelous
Sig What?
Quote by cokeisbetter

>_>
<_<

I spell fine now, and i can't resist New Order.
I read about this in the newspaper today, admittedly, it was yesterday's paper. But I was shocked when I found out that university teachers are accepting spelling mistakes. They said that they won't encourage students to misspell their words, but they won't mind if they do; how absurd.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
We call it university here. And he wasn't saying "accept" them; he was saying "accept them as variant spellings". When you yanks started making mistakes such as "Color" we accepted them as variant/American English. K?

But I don't think they should be accepted as variant.
What is the point of having a language when you ignore its rules?

People should be taught how to spell and use proper grammar and should always be corrected when they make a mistake (at least at home, in school etc - not on a date). It is the only way they will learn how to speak and write properly.

If universities want to accept people who cannot spell simple words like "truly" or "opportunity" then hell mend them. How will it look if a law graduate writes up a legal document and they misspell half the words?

Quite frankly, I don't really care about other people's lack of grammar or spelling skills, because I'm going to make damn well sure that my kids can speak and write correctly. It's every man for himself (and his kids) when it comes to education.
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.
Quote by LedZeppelin9345

If universities want to accept people who cannot spell simple words like "truly" or "opportunity" then hell mend them. How will it look if a law graduate writes up a legal document and they misspell half the words?

I hate to say this, but most people when done writing a document simply press F7.
Quote by saphrax
I hate to say this, but most people when done writing a document simply press F7.

I take it that pressing F7 corrects spelling?

There should be an option on computers to deactivate the spell-check so that children actually have to learn the correct spelling.

Another reason for bad spelling is that people can't be bothered to open up a dictionary when in doubt.

My take on this subject is quite snobby, but English is such a rich language that it is a real shame when so called "native speakers" can't speak it properly. They desecrate the language with their ignorance and laziness.
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.
Just proves how bad teachers they are.
Can't teach right, so they give up and do it the easy way.
Quote by LedZeppelin9345

Another reason for bad spelling is that people can't be bothered to open up a dictionary when in doubt.

F7 is the shortcut for spellcheck, yes.

Do you fail to see the irony there though? In order to find a word in the dictionary to look up it's spelling, you have to know how to spell it first...
Quote by saphrax
F7 is the shortcut for spellcheck, yes.

Do you fail to see the irony there though? In order to find a word in the dictionary to look up it's spelling, you have to know how to spell it first...

I assume these illiterates know the first letter of the word they don't know how to spell. It might take a bit longer but it is a mental exercise in itself.
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

thats just stupid and lazy. people need to learn how to spell. its really not that hard. especially easy words like those.

Quote by saphrax

dont you spell check documents that you type? i always do. especially for school. its not that i cant spell properly, but sometimes i make a typing mistake that i dont notice. to me it just makes sense to spell check everything. nobody is perfect.
Last edited by daytripper75 at Aug 8, 2008,