Aug 8th
2002, The UK's biggest undertakers Co-Op funeral services reported that bereaved families preferred pop songs to hymns at funerals. Top of the list was 'Wind Beneath My Wings' by Bette Midler. Other songs included 'Angels' by Robbie Williams and 'My Heart Will Go On' by Celine Dion. They also reported some unusual choices including 'Another One Bites The Dust' by Queen and 'Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go' by Wham!

1992, a riot broke out during a Guns N' Roses and Metallica gig at Montreal stadium when Metallica's show was cut short after singer James Hetfield was injured by pyrotechnics.

1991, appearing at The Jericho Tavern, Oxford, England, On A Friday, (later to become known as Radiohead). The band had met while attending Abingdon School, a boys-only public school. "On a Friday", referred to the band's usual rehearsal day in the school's music room.

1987, U2 scored their second US No.1 single from their 'Joshua Tree' album with 'I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For'.

1981, MTV broadcast its first stereo concert with REO Speedwagon who performed in Denver, Colorado, having just released the album Hi Infidelity and the hit singles, ‘Keep On Loving You,’ ‘Take It On the Run’ and ‘Don’t Let Him Go.’

1980, The Greater London Council banned The Plasmatics from blowing a car up on stage during their UK live debut at London's Hammersmith Odeon.

1970, Janis Joplin bought a headstone for the grave of her greatest influence Bessie Smith at the Mont Lawn Cemetery in Philadelphia. Smith died in 1937 after being refused admission to a whites only hospital.

1969, the photo session for the cover of The Beatles 'Abbey Road' album took place on the crossing outside Abbey Road studios. Photographer Iain McMillan, balanced on a step-ladder in the middle of the road took six shots of John, Ringo, Paul, and George walking across the zebra crossing while a policeman held up the traffic. The band then returned to the studio and recorded overdubs on ‘The End’, ‘I Want You (She's So Heavy)’ and ‘Oh! Darling’.

1969, during a North American tour Led Zeppelin appeared at the Swing Auditorium in San Bernardino, California.

1967, The Jimi Hendrix Experience played the last night of a five night run at the the Salvation Club in New York City.

More at http://www.thisdayinmusic.com
if everyone did this every day UG would be swarming with STUPID threads
Quote by Woozye

it isn't already?
Sig space available, give me some praise
Quote by Woozye

you're right. wait a minute...
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
Quote by Woozye

All threads by Mudbugclub :

Thread / Thread Starter Replies Views Forum Last Post

This Day in Music
Mudbugclub
4 5 The Pit
Today 11:20 AM
by slidething31 Go to last post

This Day in Music
Mudbugclub
6 136 The Pit
Yesterday 01:02 PM
by cheeseman3001 Go to last post

This Day in Music
Mudbugclub
6 117 The Pit
08-06-2008 03:58 AM
by IEatOrphans Go to last post

This Day in Music
Mudbugclub
11 279 The Pit
08-05-2008 04:15 PM
by I Am Jack! Go to last post

This Day in Music
Mudbugclub
3 66 The Pit
08-04-2008 04:12 AM
by Just Andrew Go to last post

This Day in Music
Mudbugclub
15 382 The Pit
08-03-2008 10:07 PM
by Floyd93 Go to last post
todays is the 08/08/08 did you know that this will not come again for another 100 years, outside of our own lifetimes and probably even our childrens.
I like the idea, but a This Month In Music compilation would be better I think, simply because UG is awash with shitty spam threads at the moment.
Ego inflating praise here:
Quote by Fishyesque
That is SOOOOOOOOOOO sig worthy! Pure awesomeness to you, sir.

C wut I did thar Fishy?

's UG
hmm could this be spam ? maybe we should report this ..

EDIT: Actually , *reported*