So after posting in this forum asking for a versatile tube amp for under 700.... i got reccomended a Mesa F-series. Being discontinued there was no way for me to try it out. I decided to go in to Guitar center to try out the express thinking that that should give me a good idea, well I didnt really like it the distortion was not my cup of tea. After tweaking for a while, i decided to try the egnater Tourmaster combo. I loved it, the cleans were amazing and the distortion was very nice sounding. The only problem was its price tag. So after getting disgruntled by that i tried out the B-52 AT-100 halfstack... I though the cleans were pretty good compared to the egnater (but not as good) but the distortions I loved. (I would be buying the combo)

So my question was if there was any other combo amp under 800 dollars(prefer under 750) that I should try that would get me a similair sound to the egnater tourmaster f4212?
Last edited by gaga94 at Aug 8, 2008,
You need to try the F series, the Express are nothing like the F series at all. The F series are really awesome amps kinda like a cross between a Mark IV and a Daul Rectifier, a seroius little amp. The Express is every thing the F series is not. The B-52 is supose to dual rectifierish amp, but personally I would look for somthing a little nicier, like the F series. Also look into a Peavey Triple XXX Combo they can be had in your price range used and are really fantasic amps.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
but where can I try it out? also, does anyone no anything similair to the egnater under 800? Also anyone tried the JSX combo?
F series is what I'd go with, but if you tweak the Express enough, I promise you can get a fantastic tone. Look on youtube for tom quayil (sp? last name) He is using an Ibanez S Prestige, with short delay straight into the express.
Fender American Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Standard
79 Gibson Les Paul Custom
Suhr Pro Series S5
Ovation Custom Balladeer
Mesa Boogie Mark IV with 4x12 Recto Cab
Looking for Ibanez RGA model or Petrucci PM me for details
Idk i really liked that egnater and B-52 distortion, but where can I try the f-series? And again, is there any amp that is close to the egnater tourmaster under 800
The F-series is not like the Express series at all, the Express series are more all around type of amps, the F-series is really geared more towards metal and high gain. I personally don't really like Mesas, but if thats the tone you're looking for, the Mesas do it best.
Quote by gaga94
but where can I try it out? also, does anyone no anything similair to the egnater under 800? Also anyone tried the JSX combo?

The JSX is awesome, basically a triple XXX with more contrrol and verastilty, both are good amps but the JSX has the edge on the Triple XXX.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
Quote by gaga94

some shops seem to stock F-series amps still, phone shops to see if they still do. If not, go on ebay, sellers usually say you can come try out the amp before you buy it (for pickup only), and if you dont like it dont buy it. I didnt do that in my case, but luckily i was happy with my F series.
thanks for the reccomendations, and i completely agree with al112987 i dont really like the mesa tone.

So i am thinking of something along the lines of a Triple XXX combo,maybe a used JSX, or a B-52 AT-212 or if i can stretch my budget the egnater.

But is there any other amp other than the egnater
Ive been reading some reviews i have decided on either a B-52 At-212 or an JSX combo both used. If i can stretch my budget I will try to get an egnater tourmaster combo.
And now for guitars, I currently have a schecter diamond series 006 elite, and am now looking for a shred guitar(must have tremelo) under 400 (can be used) I was thinking either an Ibanez RG series, Jackson Dinky or maybe Les paul prophecy with dirty fingers (even though it doesnt have tremelo i love the feel of the neck)
Last edited by gaga94 at Aug 8, 2008,
Dude, the F series is a serious amp. What type of sound you going for? Bands/artists/tones? It can do just about anything, and the cleans? Glorious.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
I play almost anything, from eric clapton cleans to metallica/slayer/avenged sevenfold distortion.

I know the F-series is awesome, but i want to try out an amp for myself. If it comes up at guitar center, sam ash or daddys anywere near by me ill be there in a flash... but if it doesnt i want to get one of the previously listed amps... a B-52 AT series (either half stack or 212 combo) or the JSX Series (either halfstack or combo)

or if i can stretch my budget an egnater tourmaster (my goal)

any other suggestions, (I love the egnater cleans and B-52 distortion, but didnt like the Mesa Express series), my budget is probably 800 max, but if there is something amazing within 100. I am willing to go used
Quote by gaga94
I play almost anything, from eric clapton cleans to metallica/slayer/avenged sevenfold distortion.

I know the F-series is awesome, but i want to try out an amp for myself. If it comes up at guitar center, sam ash or daddys anywere near by me ill be there in a flash... but if it doesnt i want to get one of the previously listed amps... a B-52 AT series (either half stack or 212 combo) or the JSX Series (either halfstack or combo)

or if i can stretch my budget an egnater tourmaster (my goal)

any other suggestions, (I love the egnater cleans and B-52 distortion, but didnt like the Mesa Express series), my budget is probably 800 max, but if there is something amazing within 100. I am willing to go used

If you see an F-30 in a store, it will be at least 900. That's just the way stores are. But, you can play it there, then buy one off of ebay. I've heard good things about both the B-52 and JSX.
Fender American Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Standard
79 Gibson Les Paul Custom
Suhr Pro Series S5
Ovation Custom Balladeer
Mesa Boogie Mark IV with 4x12 Recto Cab
Looking for Ibanez RGA model or Petrucci PM me for details
I'd just get an F series off ebay or something, if you don't like it then atleast you baught it used, and you can get about the same amount of cash back. I highly dought you'll sell it though, awesome amps.
that was my exact plan =-)... but anyways im mainly considerin B-52/Egnater and maybe JSX.... unless the F-30 really suprises me i doubt i will get it
What about the Randall MTS (or whatever it's called)? Anyway, the modular Randall amp. I've heard a lot of good things about it, and there are multiple owners on UG. I think it might be cheaper, but I'm not sure - I've also heard it's more or less the same amp, although I'm not 100% sure about that.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
^the randall MTS amps will be pricey, mind you. brand new, you're looking at spending no less than about $1400 for the two module 50 watt model. just under a grand if you want the one module 20 watt version. but then you'd have to swap out modules every time you switched to a clean/OD sound.

i believe Egnater did the module thing first, and i'm not sure how long ago randall picked up on it too. but i'll say this:

short of buying boutique level amps, the MTS line is pretty much the best choice anyone could make. all tube, modeling technology, pretty much will nail any sound you want.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by forsaknazrael
Randall RG50TC is a good deal below your budget, at 550.

Certainly worth not ignoring. Try the Randall. Also a Hughes and Kettner 20th Anniversary Edition Amp. Great gain channel and sweet ars cleans.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by mlkIII
If you see an F-30 in a store, it will be at least 900. That's just the way stores are. But, you can play it there, then buy one off of ebay. I've heard good things about both the B-52 and JSX.

I bought a brand new F-30 combo at Guitar Center a month or so after they were discontinued for $712 out the door
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
...2 months.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by al112987
The F-series is not like the Express series at all, the Express series are more all around type of amps, the F-series is really geared more towards metal and high gain. I personally don't really like Mesas, but if thats the tone you're looking for, the Mesas do it best.

+1

a kustom coupe is probably worth a try too.

Quote by MatrixClaw
I bought a brand new F-30 combo at Guitar Center a month or so after they were discontinued for $712 out the door

holy crap, even i'd buy one for that amount! they're still about £1000 here. even though they've been discontinued. and people still buy them. everyone here seems to have had a lobotomy...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?