I need an amp for college to play in since I'm majoring in music, and they won't let me use my Mark IV because it's to loud for the jazz/blues band. They said it can be 50 watts or lower, so I need an amp that's 50 or lower. My budget is pretty much anything because I'm getting it for graduation. So, just tell me what you think. I really want a smooth gain type of amp. I really like Guthrie Govan, Mark Sfgoli, Andy Timmons, and that sort of crowd, so I'm looking for a smooth fusion/prog type tone. Thanks.
Fender American Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Standard
79 Gibson Les Paul Custom
Suhr Pro Series S5
Ovation Custom Balladeer
Mesa Boogie Mark IV with 4x12 Recto Cab
Looking for Ibanez RGA model or Petrucci PM me for details
Metropoulos/Germino (Marshall) JTM45 should do you a great job for the sounds you're looking for. The best amp available for that smooth blues gain ala "All Your Love" from Beano. Does great clean as well (best of any Marshall), and can rock out hard (does early AC/DC better than anything else).

edit: nevermind, you're looking for a prog type of sound. My bad, I saw blues in there and just had to start talking about the JTM45 lol.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 8, 2008,
50 watts tube WILL still be too loud, like, only a tad quieter than the mesa (im assuming its 100w)

i'd say 30/40w tube depending on how much headroom you need
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
As much as I like the Lonestar, I might have found something better...What about a Cornford Carerra? They are 30 watts and I have heard all great things about them. Anybody have any input on them?
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Suhr Pro Series S5
Ovation Custom Balladeer
doesn't the mark IV go down to 25 watts?
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by JLT73
doesn't the mark IV go down to 25 watts?

It has a switch for 30 watts I believe... but it's a different kind of tone.

Here is what Mesa says:

"Power Amp Voicing: switches tune the style and feel of your output stage. Select Triode for resilient vintage warmth or Pentode for punchy forward power. Choose Class A for two-tube operation, where clip begins around 15 watts, or Simul-Class for 85 watts of blended magic."
Quote by mlkIII
As much as I like the Lonestar, I might have found something better...What about a Cornford Carerra? They are 30 watts and I have heard all great things about them. Anybody have any input on them?

Joe Satriani uses Cornford amps on his live rigs, despite his JSX endorsement.

I'd say go for it if you like the sounds satriani puts out.
Quote by injected
Joe Satriani uses Cornford amps on his live rigs, despite his JSX endorsement.

I'd say go for it if you like the sounds satriani puts out.

I actually just watched a video interview with the Satch about his new Vox pedal the Satchurator and in the video he was demoing prototypes through his old Marshall he used back before he switched to Peavey, while his JSX was just sitting off to the side like he was getting ready to pitch it in the trash or something lol...

Wouldn't surprise me at all if he's using Cornfords in his live set up!
Quote by injected
Got a link to that?

Haha... my bad. I just watched it again - its a JSX head through a Marshall cab... I wasn't really paying attention earlier, I was really just listening to the audio.

Heres the link though:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq2aZN1kFDA

It actually looks like its going to be a decent pedal!
Mark IV > them

They'll live. maybe get an attenuator and they'll accept it
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Yeah there is a volume knob for a reason. 50W amps aren't that much quieter cranked than a 100W head. If they have a rule on power dissipation then tell em that they have no clue of what they are talking about.

I think the Mark IV will be perfectly fine because you don't need to have the volume cranked to play jazz or blues.
Quote by forsaknazrael
I don't see the problem with just not cranking your Mark IV.

this guy seems like a pretty big asshole. He's like a dude that's like, it's my way or get the hell out of here, and I've been GASing for an amp anyways.

Also, when I get one, how do I run both the Mark IV and the other amp? Don't I just use an A/B box? I can just set them the way I want, and use the A/B box to switch between them?
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Suhr Pro Series S5
Ovation Custom Balladeer
Quote by mlkIII
this guy seems like a pretty big asshole. He's like a dude that's like, it's my way or get the hell out of here, and I've been GASing for an amp anyways.

Also, when I get one, how do I run both the Mark IV and the other amp? Don't I just use an A/B box? I can just set them the way I want, and use the A/B box to switch between them?

...So they're forcing you to buy a 700 dollar+ amp or something?
That seems a little unreasonable.

And yeah, and A/B box would work like that. An A/B/Y would be cool if you wanted to run them in stereo.
Everybody can use a Roland Jazz Chorus
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by forsaknazrael

And yeah, and A/B box would work like that. An A/B/Y would be cool if you wanted to run them in stereo.

I was thinking about that too because you mix the smoothness of the lonestar, and mix it with the great chunkiness of the Mark IV.

I can get a used Jazz Chorus very cheap, but I don't know how they sound, and I need a some dirt for some stuff, and I think the Lonestar would be perfect for the dirt I need. I really like the cleans on those though. I played one this weekend. He wanted 400 for the Jazz Chorus-120.
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Suhr Pro Series S5
Ovation Custom Balladeer
Cornford is a good idea if you've no real budget constraints and want the tone - definately check them out!

Guthrie Govan uses them - the Hellcat and an MK50 at least, so they should get the sounds your looking.
My Gear
Original JCM800
Fender Blues
ADA MP1 Rack

1952 RI Tele
Fender Floyd Fat Strat
Dean Razorback V255
Dean ML79F
Fender Strat, scalloped
Fender Floyd Strat
Ibanez RG550 - 1987 DY, 1990 DY, 2002 BK
Kramer Paul Dean
Danelectro DC59
Quote by forsaknazrael

Its college... so they are going to be unreasonable. Kinda like "You have to buy this and if you don't then you can't take the course... and if you don't take the course then you won't fulfill graduation requirements!" Colleges tend to be kinda dick-ish like that because they know, in the end, you will buy what they tell you to.

But I'm with everyone else. I really don't see the problem with your Mark IV... but then again they say it has to be under 50 watts so they are obviously unaware about the whole watts =/= volume deal.
Quote by forsaknazrael

Look at the rest of his gear, money isn't an issue when you have parents.
Ain't nothin wrong, ain't nothin right, and still I sit and lie awake all night...
Quote by Sublime Stylee
Look at the rest of his gear, money isn't an issue when you have parents.

Actually, before you speak you should ask because they got me one guitar (Gibson Les Paul Standard) out of all the stuff i have and the rest I got myself, so i don't exactly need my parents for all my gear.

Not that's out of the way, college is bull****. It's very expensive, and they know that you will buy it if they make you. Metalhead is right. I'm going to get the Mesa Boogie Lonestar and run it A/B/Y and see how I like it, and if I don't, I'll just run them separately in a A/B box. I sold my Schecter to my friend for 800 so I have that and what money I have now and I'll have more than enough for the Lonestar. I'm going to get an Xotic Effects BB Booster too, to get the Andy Timmons type sound. Thanks for you guys input.
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Suhr Pro Series S5
Ovation Custom Balladeer