Page 1 of 31
A hardcore punk band from the Boston area. They used to be called Sluts but changed their name to Defeater a little while back.

www.myspace.com/defeaterma

They're all really talented and they just finished their brand new album, "Travels." It's a narrative about a man born into a broken home who wanders the land, searching for meaning in his empty life. It's coming out in the fall but I managed to get an advance copy at Warped tour.

I think they're going to be huge once Travels hits stores. Anyone else here into them? Their guitarist Jay has recorded albums for Verse, Shipwreck AD, Carpathian, and he did Travels too. He recorded my band's demo as well, it was sweet!
Quote by waldorphPRS41
Why would they change their name?

vocalist left, got a new one, changed name

i posted in the off-topic thread if anyone had their album and would be kind enough to send it my away

im asking again
Quote by Manos15
Saw them open for Have Heart a couple weeks back, wasn't impressed. Basically a MLIW rip-off. It was funny when they were making fun of this kid that wouldn't move up for them though.

I don't think they sound anything like Modern Life is War.
Quote by HoldFastHope
I don't think they sound anything like Modern Life is War.

I was gunna say, "I don't hear it, either"...

But I listened closer and I hear it in the second song on their myspace.

The comparisons I established:

1. The background vocals at 1:08-1:25 sound almost exactly like the ones on Midnight In America.
2. The song mimics lyrical content from MLIW's "Young Man Blues" and "Big City Dream".
3. Guitar playing is remotely similar, but lacks the ebbing rhythm/echoing distorted drone of MLIW (e.g. the beginning of "Marshalltown" and "The Outsiders").
coming to terms with an inevitable death.
I went to Warped and the dude from that band was telling us about them. So my friends ex bought the CD and i wanted it, but since they broke up, i really have no way of getting it from her

Yay for the internet
Quote by The Spoon
I went to Warped and the dude from that band was telling us about them. So my friends ex bought the CD and i wanted it, but since they broke up, i really have no way of getting it from her

Yay for the internet

break into the bitch's house and steal that ****

mission impossible style
Quote by kaktusnpoop
break into the bitch's house and steal that ****

mission impossible style

Well I've never heard of Modern Life Is War so I like the sound, the beginning of the second song reminded me a bit of Aussitot Mort, and I love that band so there good in my book, I guess I'll look up Modern Life Is War then haha.
My Bass Rig (Since Everyone does this)
Fender Jazz 5 String
4x10 Hartke Transporter Series
Behringer BX4500H Ultrabass Bass Head (Changing to a Hartke 5500)

My Band: http://www.myspace.com/morningnj
Quote by Aveks
I was gunna say, "I don't hear it, either"...

But I listened closer and I hear it in the second song on their myspace.

The comparisons I established:

1. The background vocals at 1:08-1:25 sound almost exactly like the ones on Midnight In America.
2. The song mimics lyrical content from MLIW's "Young Man Blues" and "Big City Dream".
3. Guitar playing is remotely similar, but lacks the ebbing rhythm/echoing distorted drone of MLIW (e.g. the beginning of "Marshalltown" and "The Outsiders").

Modern Life is War is certainly a major influence on them, don't get me wrong. I'm not surprised that you can see plenty of similarities in their styles, I just feel like it's unfair to call them a MLIW rip-off when they do in fact sound quite different.

Also, "Prophet in Plain Clothes" is likely their stab at something "MLIW-like" in style. It's slow and plodding, droning and heavy, just like MLIW at times. The rest of their material is pretty unlike that one song.
Quote by punkforlife93
Your mom was formerly a slut.

/burn

I've been burnt worse sleeping in a refrigerator.
Quote by Aveks
I've been burnt worse sleeping in a refrigerator.

1. I wasn't adressing you.
2. It was a crap joke.
3. It's not called burning when it's cold, though it probably hurt.
4. ...why would you sleep in a refrigerator? If you'd like, I'm sure I could find you a different place to sleep. Here, try this link - http://www.artistshelpingchildren.org/shelters.html I'm sorry you've been stuck sleeping in a fridge, it sounds cramped, and I'm sure you deserve better.
Last edited by punkforlife93 at Sep 22, 2008,
Quote by punkforlife93
HAHAHAHA. DISREGARD THAT. I SUCK COCKS.

k.
The vocals sound a lot like MLIW to me, but I feel like these guys are a little more exciting. I dig it.

Quote by punkforlife93
Original too. I SUCK ON BALLS EVERY NIGHT

On the bright side, homosexuality has RULED MY LIFE SINCE I WAS 3 YEARS OLD

K.
I play guitar
maybe im late to the party on this one but i just kind of stumbled on these guys.

sounds alright so far, im not noticing the MLIW comparisons as such apart from some drumming in the 2nd track
this band is meh to me.
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
Quote by pmeg568c
this band is meh to me.

I second this

nothing special, band has barely done anything (even as Sluts). Only reason I can see as to why they're signed to bridge 9 is because Jay Maas runs one of the best recording studios in New England.
These guys are a great band and awesome awesome dudes. Ive followed them since the beginning of sluts. I'm really good friends with the rhythm guitarist (he used to work at my starbucks) and he refers to me as "nephew" haha Jay comes into starbucks constantly and always sends the dudes hes recording in. I always hang around with that band hahaha
Quote by tarlkea
When I say offensive I mean offensive like dressing up as superman in a wheel chair offensive, not penis suit offensive.
I recently heard the new full length. It's pretty decent.
last.fm | Rush Hour | Dead Format
Quote by HxC73107
pray for plagues or off the heezay by bring me the horizon both great songs specially when ur at a pit at trhe reall show
Travels is decently good.
The track Prophet In Plain Clothes really threw me off with the acoustic part of the song.
myspace | last.fm
Americans used to roar like lions for liberty,
Now we bleat like sheep for security.
They're ****ing good, bro.
That loser shit's right out the window!
liking travels more and more. at times its a little bland, but i appreciate where theyre coming from with it and some of it is really enjoyable.

i interviewed jay, he had some interesting things to say.
^ jay was saying the crowds usually love blessed burden but he prefers playing some of the tracks like everything went quiet. i think i also read somewhere that he was kind of sick of the fact that everybody just dug that one song.
Quote by Frenzied
I like this band. Their lyrics are a bit more interesting than the majority of bands around right now.

yeah seconded, ive been meaning to check this band out for awhile. this thread resurfacing on the main page made me do so. interesting stuff
Quote by handbanana
R.I.P. Shaun Hand from Metal Sucks. He leaked this album and now Jake Bannon is going to crush his skull
i played with them last week with energy.

really awesome live show, i dug it
YEAH DUDE
Quote by Manos15
Saw them open for Have Heart a couple weeks back, wasn't impressed. Basically a MLIW rip-off. It was funny when they were making fun of this kid that wouldn't move up for them though.

How can you compare them to MLIW? There is no comparision
Quote by atlmetal
i played with them last week with energy.

Me too, haha. Energy wasn't very impressive but Defeater ruled
I don't collect vinyl, I must not be hardcore.