Alright I'll make the post short, sweet and to the point. My friend's brother has a 67 fender mustang that was passed down to him by his father. Unfortunately his father did a few dumb things to the guitar when he got it such as repainting it. My questions...

1. What was the original red from 67 called. Is it dakota red or candy apple red?

2. Does anyone know if the necks were finished in some sort of laquer? This one is but I suspect he did it himself.

3. If the necks were not originally covered in laquer, how the heck can I remove the lauer from the fretboard without damaging it.

4. Where can I buy mustang electronics? There was a leak in my friends closet where he had the stang and the electroincs got messed up.

Thanks! I'll make sure to post some pics soon.
i couldn't find any specific name of the red they used, every old advertisement says they are available in "red, white, or blue" so your guess is as good as mine. they had a nitro finish through '67 so the neck was probably finished, although the fact that the fretboard is as well makes me agree with you he probably did that himself... i'd say before you do anything try to contact someone who can tell you the value of it and who can tell you to what extent will it actually be worth it to try and restore it. repainting it a second time might actually drop the value even further than leaving alone. i do say all this however assuming you actually care about the value of the guitar, as some people just want to fix it up regardless.
No the guy who I'm doing it for actually doesn't care about the value since it would be messed up to sell the "heirloom". The body is acyually in pretty bad condition. I found out that the red they used it Dakota red. I checked the 65RI and the red (which is Dakota Red) looks exactly like an old ad I found for the 67's. Here are some pics

You can see the body isn't in too good of a shape.

Do you guys think all those imperfections in the body will show once I drop a primer and few coats of dakota red?
if you're going to prime it you can fill the imperfections and sand it perfect

i would vote to keeping it wood-like
Well the owner of the stang wanted me to paint it its original dakota red color, so that's what I'm doing. The crappy part is that the electronics work, so I'm going to have to rewire the thing with non original wires/pickup selectors.
as long as you are painting it, get some wood filler and fill the scratches/dents before you use the primer, you'll be glad you did in the end, as you'd have to use way too many coats of paint to cover those up if you don't fill them.
Quote by LuisWahWah
Well the owner of the stang wanted me to paint it its original dakota red color, so that's what I'm doing. The crappy part is that the electronics work, so I'm going to have to rewire the thing with non original wires/pickup selectors.
Isn't all the wiring except ground and input jack going to be on the on the pickguard like on strats?

If so, you can just de-solder at those three points and keep all the original wiring intact.
lol I meant to say that the electronics dont work. Only one pickup works and the wiring is pretty bad. I suspect that the reason only one works is that the pickup selector is messed up, not the actual pickup. Thanks for the tip on grain filler. Any brand names in particular that are good? Also, how do they sell grain filler, in paste?
I think the Red was called Fiesta Red (at least it was on strats, that much I know for sure). Fiesta Red is a color for the 1956 Ford Thunderbird. It's not as red as Dakota Red, which is pretty intense.
yea fiesta red is my fav color. They made fiesta red for stangs til 66 I believe, when it became Dakota