If guitars are anything like cars then I might be happy. If you buy a used vehicle, usually all the problems that were left by the manufacturer have been taken care of, because the vehicle is broken in. The value of a vehicle goes down dramatically after you leave the dealer's lot, and even if you put some upkeep in, so no matter what you're getting a good deal on a used car.

I've been looking into new Jackson SL3's, which retail for about $1200 - $1300 online. Ebay sells used ones for a little over half that price.

So my question is: are guitars more broken in and worthwhile to buy used, or is it like a computer where the more you use it the more it deteriorates?
I like used guitars, simply because they're cheaper. I don't really mind the dings and scratches of used guitars.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
it depends on whether the first owner took good care of it.

i wouldnt even buy a brand new guitar off the internet, let alone a used one. you have to go and check it out in person, to make sure everything is in working order and there is no sever damage. sometimes you will get a really well kept guitar, other times it will be positively bogging.
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.
used guitars all the way! when the guitar has been played alot its easier to play bcuz the neck is slıghtly worn ın and smoother!!!!

USED FTW!
Quote by LedZeppelin9345
it depends on whether the first owner took good care of it.

i wouldnt even buy a brand new guitar off the internet, let alone a used one. you have to go and check it out in person, to make sure everything is in working order and there is no sever damage. sometimes you will get a really well kept guitar, other times it will be positively bogging.

yeah, this guy's got a good point, I would only buy a used guitar if I were to see it in person first, that way you don't risk getting a guitar that needs more work than what it's worth.
What if I'm stuck out in the middle of nowhere, with no guitar stores around and no way to travel a few hundred miles to find one? My only options are to buy online.
Used and Blem's diminish new, because scratches and dings don't really affect the guitar itself.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Meh, I prefer new guitars.

I dunno why, but I think they are just better. Oh well.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Really, it depends.

1) What model of the guitar I am getting? If the guitar is pretty well priced brand new, I may get it. If not, but I still want that specific model, I'll go used.
2) How much is it going for used? How much am I saving from buying it second hand instead of brand new?
3) What's the condition of the used guitar? If it's missing pieces, I'll be pissed since I'll have to replace them. If it's been modded (new pickups for example), I'll see how much that mod costed and whether it benefits me.
depends on what the resale value of that certain guitar is. like a strat, because there are so many, their resale value isnt very good, and would be worthwhile to get new. but if the guitar u want is only going for a few bucks less on ebay or something, def go new.

the main thing that a previous owner can screw up is the neck (truss rod, warping). always check that before buying used.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Quote by Lil Macker
Meh, I prefer new guitars.

I dunno why, but I think they are just better. Oh well.

I'd much rather have a used porsche for the price of a new Honda.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
9/10 when you buy used, you're getting a better instrument in every way than a new one of the same price, and they can often be sold and you can still break even, or maybe even make a few bucks if you know what you are doing (I've done this plenty of times).
I've bought used twice. Never had a problem. I wouldn't say a guitar deteriorates the more you use it. As long as you take care of it, it will last years and years.