I play an Epiphone Les Paul, and I currently use Ernie Ball Slinky's. I don't all that much about the string, and for all I know I may be a pussy when it comes to gauge or heaviness or whatever, but I am still fairly a beginner and these strings eat away at my fingers. Are there any good, lighter stings that I should try?
Quote by The_Paranoia

I love you.
you wıll get used to ıt, play more often and you wont notıce ıt

and .... PAIN IS PLEASURE lol
I have em the exact strings on my Fender Stratocaster... I personally love these strings.. you'll fingers will adjust and im pretty sure you'll like em once you get used to them
As you play more and more you'll develop rougher skin on the tips/pads of your fingers, it's something almost all beginners go through.
Gear:
Ibanez RG7321 Seven String
Epiphone Iommi Signature SG
Digitech Scott Ian Black 13
VOX Valvetronix AD100VTH
Laney 4x12 w/Celestion 50s
have a look at the string packet (if you still have it). for a beginner i would recommend 9 to 42 gauge, and then work up to at least a 10 to 46 when you feel comfortable.

you just need to keep playing until your calluses develop, and then moving up a gauge or two will only require a short adjustment period. if you are going to drastically raise or lower your gauge, you may encounter action, intonation and truss rod problems. if in doubt ask at your guitar shop.

the thing to watch out for though is intonation. even if you never change gauge you should check it every time you change strings.
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.
yeah lol

when i got my first guitar an epiphone lp jr. my bro-in-law put some really thick guage strings on it and i played on those for the longest time really strengthened my fingers and made my fingers strong for bending(i only played it in standard most of the time)
Just keep going, soon enough you'll develop harder pads of skin on your fingertips, then it wont hurt so much anymore.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
use something light like 9s til you get callouses

also make sure to keep them clean and replace when necessary
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
i mean, i have calluses and I have used the strings for as long as I can remember, and it just seems they are much too heavy for comfort, even when I get used to them
Quote by The_Paranoia

I love you.
Quote by orcs4life
i mean, i have calluses and I have used the strings for as long as I can remember, and it just seems they are much too heavy for comfort, even when I get used to them

if thats the same set then chances are theyre rusted to hell and shredding your fingers

if its soo much, use a lighter gague, thats what theyre there for. e.g. NINES
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
lol no I change the strings every 2-3 weeks. What I wanna know is, what low gauge strings are good ones to try? (like Slinkys, DRs, etc.)
Quote by The_Paranoia

I love you.
Wait, which slinkys are you using? Super Slinky? Regular Slinky?
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
the main thing to remember is to keep the strings fresh. you can use string cleaner to prolong the life of your strings if you want.

i wouldnt go any lower than nines - put a fresh set on and see how it feels, and in time they wont feel heavy and your calluses will have developed more. it is widely accepted that heavier stings sound better, especially on the lowest 3 strings, so i would try to go u pa gauge when you can.
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.
Quote by orcs4life
I play an Epiphone Les Paul, and I currently use Ernie Ball Slinky's. I don't all that much about the string, and for all I know I may be a pussy when it comes to gauge or heaviness or whatever, but I am still fairly a beginner and these strings eat away at my fingers. Are there any good, lighter stings that I should try?

Ernie ball slinkys are 0.9 gauges, which is a good gauge to start out with, once you get confident I'd suggest trying 10s. Also I'd suggest switching to D'addarios, rotosounds or elixirs, I find ernie balls to be rubbish, but that's just me.
What I want in my rig (Bold = gear I have):
Ibanez SZ-520QM
Vintage VECJ100BK
Epiphone Dot
Laney VC15
Boss GE7
Boss SD1
Zoom G2