Hey guys.. I've been looking at these 2 computers.. I'm an noob when it comes to this stuff, so I figured the Pit's expertise in such subjects would come in handy.

Anyways, here are the 2 I'm looking at..

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/sys/783889080.html

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/sys/780329875.html
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

The first one has a 8500GT. It sucks.

The second one is OK. It's not worth $600, but it will handle any game. Don't expect to max out Crysis or anything. Maybe medium or medium-high on Crysis.

You are better of building yourself.
Quote by JMTrio134
He's not better off building on his own if he's a noob.

I was a n00b when I built my first PC and it gave me lots of knowledge by doing it. I didn't know if any of the parts were good. I just bought a barebone kit because I needed a cheap computer.

But go for 2 if those are the only two options. The mouse+keyboard+monitor+speakers bundle is actually a good deal.
Last edited by Masonpwiley at Aug 8, 2008,
second one yeap.
Quote by roast
Cool, thanks Lagrance.

Randall Rx15
Ibanez Rg321Mh
Musima 25K Deluxe
Zoom 505 II
Hang on, 2nd hand PC?

No thanks. Not being funny but I would pay extra for a new one.

Edit - the 8500gt really isnt that bad, depends what you want to do doesn't it.
Get some liquid nitrogen and overclock that bizzatch.

You can get up to 8 Ghz dualcore if you know what you're doing.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai

Which is really worth it.......
Quote by Jackolas
Hang on, 2nd hand PC?

No thanks. Not being funny but I would pay extra for a new one.

Edit - the 8500gt really isnt that bad, depends what you want to do doesn't it.

Why? If they do a clean install of windows and clean the dust out, there's not a big difference.

Quote by Kensai

Isn't phase change cooling better? That's not worth it either, but still.
Quote by Jackolas
Which is really worth it.......

Well... yes. Why not?
no maaan , 8500 gt BLOWS it suxsuxsux
Quote by roast
Cool, thanks Lagrance.

Randall Rx15
Ibanez Rg321Mh
Musima 25K Deluxe
Zoom 505 II
Quote by Lagrance
no maaan , 8500 gt BLOWS it suxsuxsux

Yeah, it SUCKS. They are lying when they say it's good.
Quote by Masonpwiley
Why? If they do a clean install of windows and clean the dust out, there's not a big difference.

Well personally I just believe, from problems with PCs.. it's better, if you aren't an IT guru, to buy a new PC. What about Bios settings? Fan speeds? all sorts of under-the-hood options?

Also, components over time DO disintergrate and malfunction - buying a 2nd hand PC with no warrenty is asking for potential trouble. Again, it's all opinion. You want support.
Quote by Jackolas
Also, components over time DO disintergrate and malfunction - buying a 2nd hand PC with no warrenty is asking for potential trouble. Again, it's all opinion. You want support.

The power supply is the main one that I would be concerned about. Even that's not a huge deal. This is a good deal if he isn't building himself.

Even if you are noob, I suggest you build yourself so you can learn. Then you have warranties on everything. But if not, get the second one.

Quote by JMTrio134
Why? Back that up.

Seriously? I would actually have a hard time finding someone who says it's good. I'll find some benchmarks, hold on.

http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=4902&s=10

As you can see, the 8600GT is twice as fast in some games.
Last edited by Masonpwiley at Aug 8, 2008,
8500gt has poor performance especially about the current generation of cards, 8800gt is kindof worthwhile ,so is 9600gt, im unfamiliar with its price but it should be pretty cheap as of now.
Quote by roast
Cool, thanks Lagrance.

Randall Rx15
Ibanez Rg321Mh
Musima 25K Deluxe
Zoom 505 II
Actually it's funny you should mention power supplies. I don't believe they are always as compatible as people make out... The wrong type can be dangerous - I know as my old PC's one was replaced with one that was, seemingly exactly the same wattage etc but started smoking/making funny noises.

Also it is worth pointing out, Nvidia (in my opinion, this is) since the Geforce 4 days have named their products badly/confused people. The 8500 is alot crapper than the 8600. I don't know why, but you'd have thought the name would show how big the difference is.
Quote by Lagrance
8500gt has poor performance especially about the current generation of cards, 8800gt is kindof worthwhile ,so is 9600gt, im unfamiliar with its price but it should be pretty cheap as of now.

I have the 9600gt and it is a lovely, lovely card. Really pleased with it. Runs all games I've tried full native 22inch widescreen resolution with max details, 16xaa and 16af.

Half life 2 + ep 1 & 2, quake 4, GRID, TF2, CS:S, DOD:S, Quake Wars, etc..
Quote by Valo
Swallow your pride, buy a mac.

Yeah, because he definitely isn't interested in gaming if both of those say "GAMING" in the name.
Quote by Jackolas
I have the 9600gt and it is a lovely, lovely card. Really pleased with it. Runs all games I've tried full native 22inch widescreen resolution with max details, 16xaa and 16af.

Half life 2 + ep 1 & 2, quake 4, GRID, TF2, CS:S, DOD:S, Quake Wars, etc..

None of those games are particularly demanding, they even run on my system with the highest graphics on 1280*1024.
Quote by Jackolas
Actually it's funny you should mention power supplies. I don't believe they are always as compatible as people make out... The wrong type can be dangerous - I know as my old PC's one was replaced with one that was, seemingly exactly the same wattage etc but started smoking/making funny noises.

Just as long as you get a reputable, well know brand, it will be fine. Wattage isn't a rating of how good the PSU is.
Quote by Kensai
None of those games are particularly demanding, they even run on my system with the highest graphics on 1280*1024.

GRID is the most demanding of that lot, as is Quake Wars (big draw distances and maps etc) - so I'm happy.

Look.. this is someone that had a Geforce 2 MX 400 before this, seriously.
i had an fx5200 and now i have a 4850 :Q:Q:Q
Quote by roast
Cool, thanks Lagrance.

Randall Rx15
Ibanez Rg321Mh
Musima 25K Deluxe
Zoom 505 II
Quote by Jackolas
GRID is the most demanding of that lot, as is Quake Wars (big draw distances and maps etc) - so I'm happy.

Look.. this is someone that had a Geforce 2 MX 400 before this, seriously.

I've had the Geforce 3 for the last 5 years... on 4x AGP

Just upgraded my entire system
I seriously thought graphics cards were still AGP that's how behind the times I was.
Quote by Jackolas
I seriously thought graphics cards were still AGP that's how behind the times I was.

When did you learn that they weren't?
Hey guys thanks for all the help..

I'll probably end up buying the 2nd one then..

I had no idea that the 8500 was a bad card. What about the one that's in the 2nd computer? That ATI card, isn't it a few years old?
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

Quote by Masonpwiley
When did you learn that they weren't?

Well when I was looking into buying a new PC I researched it alot - plus when I opened my case up it really hit home how different it was.
Quote by Kensai

I guess you haven't tried to run Half Life Ep 2 on highest then

And I don't mean the highest settings in the options menu, but I mean the highest settings in the command console (which allow you to set details much higher).