This is confusing to me...

"gauge" for a shotgun means: "The gauge or bore of the inside diameter of a barrel corresponds with the number of identical solid spheres that can be made from a pound of lead. "

This means that a 12 gauge shotgun is bigger than a 20 gauge. Smaller the gauge, the bigger the shotgun.

Look at wiring... an 18 gauge wire is a fairly small speaker wire for a small amp... an 11 gauge wire is so fat it's clumsy to install. Smaller the gauge, the bigger the wire.

When you talk about guitar strings though, it's backwards. A 13 gauge string is actually bigger than a 12 gauge string. On a 5-string bass, a 45 gauge string is the little one, and a 130 is the big fat one. The smaller the gauge, the smaller the string.

Why is this?
Last edited by corndogggy at Aug 8, 2008,
Because we are talking about the mm of string thickness. IE a "12 gauge" string set, goes from 0.12mm to 0.54(56) mm
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Because shotguns and guitars have no real relevance to each other?

New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
on guitar strings the guage is equal to the actual diameter of the string a 9 gauge is 0.009" a 105 gauge bass string is 0.105"

Quote by Brendan.Clace
Because we are talking about the mm of string thickness. IE a "12 gauge" string set, goes from 0.12mm to 0.54(56) mm

a 12 gauge E string is 0.30mm according to my pack of d'adarrios here

i don't understand shotguns
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by Inspired_by_Vai
Because shotguns and guitars have no real relevance to each other?

A bulldozer and a TV set have no relevance to each other either, but if I wanted to weigh or measure each of them, I wouldn't expect the measurement of the same exact name to be totally opposite of each other.
Quote by skater dan0
on guitar strings the guage is equal to the actual diameter of the string a 9 gauge is 0.009" a 105 gauge bass string is 0.105"

Thanks, that makes sense, I understand it now, but the proper term is not "gauge"... that's "mil's".

0.105" is 105 mils. It's not a 105 gauge. Why don't they call it mils? Gauge is incorrect.
it's just a way to show which strings are which, i.e 11 is bigger than 10, therefore 11's are thicker than 10's
so when the United States falls under martial law and the federal government comes to confiscate my storable food, which would be better to fend off the federal agents' invasion into my home? a 12 gauge or a 20 gauge?
Quote by sethp
so when the United States falls under martial law and the federal government comes to confiscate my storable food, which would be better to fend off the federal agents' invasion into my home? a 12 gauge or a 20 gauge?

Doesn't matter... they will always have bigger guns than you ever will.
Shotgun gauges were created long ago way before the metric system and wasnt always gauge it was bore, 12 bore etc. Back then the 20 didnt exist and a 12 gauge was considered small, the 10 and 8 were used. But also used black powder, were muzzle loaders and used flint for ignition. Gun stuff tends to continue to use outdated and arbitrary measurement systems. The electric system is pretty modern so tends to use a little more scientific thinking.