OK, so i have an ibanez JTK1 jet-king. it has a basswood body, bolt on neck, and coil taps already on it, and i'm thinkin about putting an SD '59 in the neck, and probly a JB in the bridge. it'd be for classic rocking sorta stuff and for the style of music that i play that i rly dont know what genre it fits into but it's kinda like white summer/black mountainside by zeppelin.

to do all this at my local shop plus tax is going to cost close to $250, which i'm cool with because i like my local shop. however, they have an ESP les paul knock off in the shop with these exact same pickups going for 600$. thats a lot more money, but would it be worth it to save-up and get a higher build quality, or would i probly be satisfied with saving the $400 or so and just getting the pup upgrade? i mean, i kno it comes down to what i think, but I'm kinda stuck.

thanks
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
If you want to save the money, I'd save the money. If you'd rather have better quality at this moment, I'd say go for the pick up upgrade. It's cooler imo aswell, 'cause you'll have a unique guitar which doesn't even suck :P
man for classic rock the dimarzio super distortion are what you need, but 59s gibson pick0ups are nice too, the super Ds though are 70 dollars a piece and they really help your sound, i would just get new pups
Gear

Standard Epiphone LP W/Dimarzio Super 2's
1973 Ampeg VT-22

Fulltone Clyde
Ernie Ball VP Jr
Boss tu-2
Boss sd-1
Ehx Little Big Muff
Fulltone Ultimate Octave
Boss eq-7
Ehx Memory Man
Digitech Delay X-series
Ehx Holy Grail
I think the best thing you can do is bring in your amp to the shop and play the ESP to see how you like it. If you really like how the guitar sounds then I guess you should save up money and get the guitar. But if I were you and you want an upgrade I would get the pickups (make sure they go well with the wood of the guitar and fretboard) and then keep saving money and get myself a great guitar a year down the road from now.

BTW, good choice with SD. I put Pearly Gates on the neck and Invaders on the bridge of my Les Paul and the tone is like night and day compared to how it was before I put those pickups.
Quote by LightxGrenade
I think the best thing you can do is bring in your amp to the shop and play the ESP to see how you like it. If you really like how the guitar sounds then I guess you should save up money and get the guitar. But if I were you and you want an upgrade I would get the pickups (make sure they go well with the wood of the guitar and fretboard) and then keep saving money and get myself a great guitar a year down the road from now.

BTW, good choice with SD. I put Pearly Gates on the neck and Invaders on the bridge of my Les Paul and the tone is like night and day compared to how it was before I put those pickups.

yea, i mean, ive got a really nice guitar now (my fender deluxe MIA fat strat) so having a more customized guitar would be awesome...

yea the SDs that i have heard have been amazing XD
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by higherworlds
man for classic rock the dimarzio super distortion are what you need, but 59s gibson pick0ups are nice too, the super Ds though are 70 dollars a piece and they really help your sound, i would just get new pups

how clear is it tho? my main concern is clarity and the SD '59's seem to have it
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by forsaknazrael
I'd probably stick something other than a JB in there.

yea, i dont rly know what im doin in the bridge yet....all i kno is that i'm goin to want something big and clear as opposed to thin muddy thing ive got in their now.
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
what about the SD jazz versus the '59? in terms of clarity who would win? the online clips make it look like the jazz would win, but thats online lol
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
I like the overdriven tone of the '59 better.
The '59 is slightly brighter.

I tend to think of the JB as sounding thin, especially in most non mahogany guitars.

An SH-14 Custom 5 is great in mahogany guitars, not so much in alder....Don't know how it would fare in basswood. It's great for classic rock, though.