I've been working on this piece for awhile and it has gone through many changes, but I feel that this is the final update. It's mostly in 6/8 though it does go to 2/4 at the end, the main key is Bb minor but it does modulate to E minor temporarly in the middle section. There are two main themes in the piece with various interludes that are loosely based on them, and an introduction and ending that are sort of separate from the rest of the piece.

Anyhow, please give it a listen and comment on it. I'm trying to see what everyone thinks and if there are any changes I should make to it before doing a recording. And of course C4C!
Attachments:
Late Night Ballroom.zip
I'm not too familiar with the genre, but i like the relaxing groove it has, at least in the begining. I love the chord progressions too. The b chorus though sounds kinda out there, too unnerving for the rest of the song. It gets more frenzied later, but definitely with some more rhythym and groove, which definitely cool. I don't like the drums much though, more intricate things would be cool, as is its just going exactly along with the guitars and such, very by the book. But this isn't my genre though, so take this all with a huge grain of salt. Overall, it looks like a great technical achievement, I'm sure it's great within it's genre.
Wow...nothings wowed me like that in a while. Creative.

Did the Mars Volta come into this at all for you?

The intensity differences were amazing. The dissonance fit in with every part.

I thought the build to everything was really good. It was that smooth jazz and that distorted guitar came in and went into the classically/circusy/rocky section, and then onto everything else.

At 1:40...damn I'm mad I didn't write that section...the song...

Sorry for the excitement, just thought it was really good.

I'd like to hear more.
I like it a lot! =]

I felt very excited listening to a lot of it. And like what guitarguy5515 said it was very creative. I'll give it 9/10. Keep on writing dude!
Wow, how did you even WRITE that!? I can't even wrap my head around it. Awesome job. I dn't know how you juggled calmer jazz, dissonant progrock, ska-ish rhythms, and some insane melody harmonies and chords and still manage to keep everything together in a strangely infectious groove, but you did it. And yeah, I hear a bit of the Mars Volta in there too, don't know if it was intentional or not.
oh wow! i don't know why, but i listened to it today and didn't really get into it at all.
so now i listened to it very carefully and i think its amazingly composed!

i really like the build-up from the intro to the verse, the vocals act very good with the guitar slide melody (10). then, the chorus: now i don't want to know who you came up with this strange riff very nice, though the drums are a bit "over the point", especially in the interlude...but thats just me^^
i also especially like the bass, i think it would be better even if it was less distant in the whole mix. the ska-part made me smile, it was so unexpected!
the outro is very good, too.

(if i look at your variations in verse and chorus, i understand what you meant with my song)

overall, a very creative song, not for everybody, but if you listen carefully, you can explore some great melodies and rhythms! im impressed =)
I liked the beginning and the verses, although the drums were too loud maybe check that out..
Also, the intensity of some instruments kind of wasn't too good.
I liked at 28 how the rhythm changes...
The chorus had a cool riff, I liked the vocal melody too.
Although at times there seems to be just a little bit too much of dissonance..

I liked how you modulated to the interlude...
The next verse is great, I liked the jazz guitar.
I liked the variety in the second chorus, like the solo, or staccato, etc...

The last interlude and outro are great. The interlude sounds like an 80's power metal or sorts..
I don't know if that half cadence in the end suits it (I think it was half cadence), but sounds alright for now...

I really liked it, very original, combined jazz with metal and prog of some sorts..
Only check on the volume of the tracks and it is set
Thank you all for your great comments!

The b chorus though sounds kinda out there, too unnerving for the rest of the song. It gets more frenzied later, but definitely with some more rhythym and groove, which definitely cool. I don't like the drums much though, more intricate things would be cool, as is its just going exactly along with the guitars and such, very by the book.

The whole point is that the song changes up a lot and actually I feel that it fits in quite nicely but everyone has different tastes. The drums are supposed to follow some melody or rhythm and they actualy get quite intricate later on, though I would agree the beginning drums may be a little dull.

Did the Mars Volta come into this at all for you?

I didn't have them in mind when I wrote this but I am a fan of their music so there might be some influence subconsciously.

the drums are a bit "over the point", especially in the interlude

How so? Do they do too much or are they too wild for the section?

Although at times there seems to be just a little bit too much of dissonance..

Actually the song really isn't dissonant at all, except maybe sometimes in the bassline. Is that what you mean?
i thought it was pretty good. it was actually progressive and jazzy, which was a nice change of pace from the endless stream of "prog/tech/etc" stuff i seem to be hearing. maybe i'm just a sucker for those minor add9 chords (that opeth love so much).

two things i'd change are:

the rhythm in the chorus in terms of the bass and drums. stick a few rests in there, ya know? also, the ending chord from an Fsus4 to an F. the sus4 seems too tense for an ending chord somehow, and with an F everyone'll be hearing a Bbm in their head when the song ends anyway i suppose.

just my two cents. very enjoyable overall.
this is definitely very creative, I like the chord progression and feel, the drums seem kinda too intense, but iunno, it creates a mood.
I really like it when it picks up and gets like super intense. In fact, wow! This is turning out really amazing, I wasn't expecting this to be this good. at bar 51 I'm like, completely amazed. That was an awesome change. 73 and 74 were a really good transition. The part afterwords reminds me of like, some kind of haunted mansion or something, this is a really need feeling you've created here, I'd love to see it recorded. The interlude at 90 is really awesome. The harmonies are perfect too!
Very nice outro, this is quite well done. I see very few problems with this song, it's quite creative, and quite complex, I think I'll listen to it again.
10/10, without question.
Wow... this is absolutely amazing.

These jazz chords and rhythms you have going on... with that distorted guitar in there, so Mars Volta. It's just awesome. I can't even comprehend how you wrote this.

Chorus B starts getting a little more dissonant and heavy, and up tempo, this is just great. Like Circus-Rock-ish sort of.

Wow... interlude is awesome. That melody you introduced is sooooooo awesome. It's chill and rushed at the same time, wouldn't have done it any different myself. ...If i could write like this. @_@;;

Verse III A's rhythm further accents that "circus-rock" thing you have going, mixed with jazz and those ska drums/rhythms are just brilliant, and that overdub of distorted guitar rules.

Around bar 82 the lead line (vocals) starts to overshadow the chord progression, it's really awesome. It's so good man, I'm really honestly jealous of your songwriting capability.

The snare and guitar sextuplets fit perfectly at Interlude (the second one), good transition.

The outro fits really really good, I want to hear a recording of this so bad. I like how you kept the sixteenth sextuplet motif and added in the main Verse theme, it's really good. Some recapitulation never hurt anyone ^_-d

Wow... That song is a 9.5/10, really well done. The only thing I'd change around is the intro, just because I don't think it does the rest of that song justice. Just bars 105 and 106 though, I don't like the straight rhythm is all, the rest of the outro is perfect.

Great job, man.
4/4 is just so boring. <_<
Sorry for the late reply mate - been in France sorting stuff. Anyway, as I listen:

Really like the intro chords, love that jazzy feel (turned the vocals off - gpro never does a vocal line justice). The verse is solid, good with the distortion but I just feel Chorus (B) seems a little off-beat. If you meant it and you're happy with it then by all means keep it, just sounds slightly odd to me. Actually just figured out it's the three bar length riff (probably just my ears being used to standard 4 bar riffs)

Interlude is cool, although it has that odd circus feel in places which always sounds a bt contrived to me...dunno just seems to be a bit of 'let's throw in a wacky circus theme to show off my theory knowledge' when it doesn't really fit. That's a bit harsh, but I don't think it works here, it's quality music don't get me wrong - I just don't think it fits. That being said, I think the first half of bar 46 is excellent and well worth expanding on.

Verse III is much better, back to the smooth jazzy chords which work so well - the distortion is nice in places for the tension. Not much more to add other than that I'm a big fan of this part. Nice smooth modulation into the chorus, which seems a bit empty (add a studio track perhaps?). Again, here I'm so impressed by how you manipulate out of key chords so that they fit into the song...brilliantly done.

The tapping outro is cool, a jazzy shred...very different. My overall feeling is that this song is so different to anything I've ever heard that I don't even know if you can take my criticisms on board - it's like that first moment when you hear Master of Puppets having grown up on Aqua's Barbie Girl....it's bloody awesome, but you can't really suggest anything different.

Good work though mate - I really enjoyed it, and it's good to see something so refreshingly different on here. Again, I must stress that if I picked up on something, the likelihood is that I'm wrong!