Hi guys, my band has taken a direction in the road of punk rock and i was just wondering if any1 knows any decent punk songs that would be awesome to cover.

thanks x
well, if your looking for songs the crowed would know the any Ramones or Clash songs are cool. i would go with knowledge by operation ivy or any rancid songs. how good is your bass player? cause maxwell murder by rancid is a great song but it requires a really hard bass solo.
Quote by Vin2254
well, if your looking for songs the crowed would know the any Ramones or Clash songs are cool. i would go with knowledge by operation ivy or any rancid songs. how good is your bass player? cause maxwell murder by rancid is a great song but it requires a really hard bass solo.

well our bassıst left, but bcuz ı taught hım bass ım doın the bass on our ep aswell as guıtar .. nd ı luv rancıd aswell as ramones

RANCID ROCK!!!
Quote by Dizzy-D
I fought the law

I AM THE LAW! I WILL COME DOWN HARD ON YOUR ASS! lol
play a pile of Discharge covers

Protest And Survive, or Hear Nothing See Nothing Say Nothing
Dead Kennedys always works. Holiday In Cambodia and Police Truck are fairly easy.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
ı wudnt worry about skıll, ım a pretty decent guıtarıst. ı hvnt been at all challenged by anthythıng. lol
I'm a little worried you've tkane a new direction but are asking for help about it, as if you're not really very familiar with it.

But still:
The Stooges - Search and Destroy
Dead Kennedys - Police Truck
Bad Brains - Pay To Cum
The Bronx - anything...

Not punk as you might think but all with punk roots, or in the case of the stooges, punk has its roots in them.
Bad Religion owns....any of there songs would be good
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.
if you use "punk" as a broad genre, you should try Bad Religion (Big Bang, Kyoto Now, Social Suicide, Along the Way, Los Angeles Is Burning, I Want To Conquer the World) or Rise Against (Give It All, Like The Angel, Blood To Bleed, Gethsamane, Ever Changing) although I'm sure someone will argue they aren't REAL punk
Quote by TDS
You know what would be awsome? A phone that doubled as a fleshlight that recharged power through kinetic motion.

"hold on guys my phone's dying."
*fap*
"Ok we're good."
Quote by Lrn2play
only real punk band was dead kennedys
but their kinda akward to cover

First of all, that's an incredibly stupid statement. Second of all, how are they "awkward to cover?"

TS, why do you need US to decide what YOUR band is going to cover? Just pick some songs you like. By the way, the thread title is really cheesy.
Didn't you just say you were gonna be in a classic rock cover band?

Meh...

Try DK's, Clash, Ramones, Casualties, etc... Sex Pistols if you want.

Or write your own stuff. Strictly covering songs is a little lame. It's cool to show off what you can make/write, y'know?
Quote by LiamBamBam
ı wudnt worry about skıll, ım a pretty decent guıtarıst. ı hvnt been at all challenged by anthythıng. lol

go play bloodmeat by protest the hero if you havent been challenged.

but i agree with the dead kennedys. the clash are always fun...

^agreed.
Quote by SiegeCrew
go play bloodmeat by protest the hero if you havent been challenged.

but i agree with the dead kennedys. the clash are always fun...

^agreed.

Haha, yeah man, there's a challenge. It's more hardcore punk, but good God, if that doesn't give you a challenge then... congratulations.
The Magnificent Seven by the CLASH!
Look into some of the Clash's stuff definately!

And though not by a Punk artist, it was written in the style of Punk after it hit his attention:
Rory Gallagher - Shadow Play
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
Haha, yeah man, there's a challenge. It's more hardcore punk, but good God, if that doesn't give you a challenge then... congratulations.

hardcore punk is basically the best genre of all time. theyre like, technical hardcore punk.
Mmmmm Bloodmeat.

Gotta love the double-tappery in that song.

That one and Wretch are my favorite to play off of that album.

On topic though, definitely go with the Clash or the Ramones. Nothing wrong with the classics.
don't try and cover operation ivy. it's a sin.

my band has covered blitzkrieg bop, it's a real crowd pleaser. Everyone sings along and dances and stuff, it's a good time.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
if yr playing punk, and want to be good and be different from every other wannabe punk cover band out there i would recommend not following any of the recommendations in this thread since they are lame and predictable covers.

first off, why don't you learn the songs you each like as a group instead of asking on here? we don't have to play them you do. start off with the songs you each like. everyone picks 3 or 4 of em and you learn em and jam.

second, if you intend to play shows playing a bunch of covers why not play a set that isnt likely to feature the same songs that every other punk cover band puts in their repertoire?

if you wanna impress a real crowd of people who like punk (not yr typical 16yr old kid who thinks green day is an original punk band) i'd recommend the following groups as excellent source material:

the minutemen
mission of burma
husker du
black flag
minor threat
the replacements
the birthday party
public image ltd
gang of four

everyone's heard the ramones covers and the dk covers and the clash covers. unless you intend on covering the really obscure songs that havent been beaten to death already it isnt really that interesting. and if you want to be remembered you cant do the typical same stuff that every other punk cover band does since it doesnt make you any different from them and lord knows a punk cover band is a dime a dozen.
ı wıll try thıs bloodmeat song wen ı get bk ın2 england nd wen ı hv my guıtar on me :P
Quote by werty22
First of all, that's an incredibly stupid statement. Second of all, how are they "awkward to cover?"

The vocals probably would be hard to do if you were aiming to mimic them exactly.
ok guys, that bloodmeat song is actually pretty sımple. it took me a few tries to get the chord changes rıght but ıt stıll wasnt very challengıng.

nd blitzkrieg bop ıs a must :P
Quote by LiamBamBam
ok guys, that bloodmeat song is actually pretty sımple. it took me a few tries to get the chord changes rıght but ıt stıll wasnt very challengıng.

nd blitzkrieg bop ıs a must :P

wow, lying much.

post a video of you playing it.
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
I really want to see this now.

I don't think it's the "chord changes" you should be worried about, to be completely honest.

more or less the six-seven finger tapping and six string arpeggios with odd time signatures...
I don't think he can do it. I know I can't... well I've never tried, but judging from YouTube videos I've seen... I really doubt I can do it.

OF COURSE, all the power to you, TS.
Quote by SiegeCrew
k. where is it.

well i go2 buy a webcam first. but keep checkin my youtube account, liambambam .. add me
Quote by LiamBamBam
well i go2 buy a webcam first. but keep checkin my youtube account, liambambam .. add me

ok.