Does learning songs off tabs hurt your musical ability? Sure it cant hurt your finger dexterity but will it make it harder for me to learn theory in the long run?
"My jedi powers are far more superior than yours"
It all depends on the person. The major positive about tabs are that they show specific fingerings for different songs and excercises. The way they tend to hurt most guitarists is that since they are easy to use most of the time, and reading musical notation is difficult and time consuming for most, many guitarists that start to use tab never get around to learning how to read musical notation.

Now, if you're a casual guitarist or hobbyist, this may not matter at all to you, but if you want to be a studio musician or play in a wedding band, for example, this could lead to trouble.
Quote by PSM
It all depends on the person. The major positive about tabs are that they show specific fingerings for different songs and excercises. The way they tend to hurt most guitarists is that since they are easy to use most of the time, and reading musical notation is difficult and time consuming for most, many guitarists that start to use tab never get around to learning how to read musical notation.

Now, if you're a casual guitarist or hobbyist, this may not matter at all to you, but if you want to be a studio musician or play in a wedding band, for example, this could lead to trouble.

I'm not really interested in learning musical notation. But I am interested in learning the theory behind scales and chords and how they relate to one another. Improvising theory I guess you could say.
Quote by RabbidWolf
I'm not really interested in learning musical notation. But I am interested in learning the theory behind scales and chords and how they relate to one another. Improvising theory I guess you could say.

In that case, there's really not much of a downside to using tabs that will affect you. If you are really interested in learning theory, though, to take on any sort of serious study, you'll want/need to learn how to at least get back with music notation, though. Just a heads up if you're serious about it.
I can read music, and I can just about translate it to the guitar - I tried playing some scales that were written in tab and sheet music, without looking at the tab. But it's slow, and I don't really see the benefit?
I do see the benefit of not using tabs and just doing it by ear, however, but that wasn't the question :P
Quote by RabbidWolf
Does learning songs off tabs hurt your musical ability? Sure it cant hurt your finger dexterity but will it make it harder for me to learn theory in the long run?

not necessarily, but ideally, when you learned a piece of music (through tab or notation or by ear), you'd also spend time working out why and how certain notes are being played, and not just learning where to stick your fingers...

so if you're using tab as a way of being able to play someone else's song parrot fashion then it's not going to make you a good musician.. you'll just be a machine operator with fast hands...

by all means use tab, but use it as a starting point for learning how the music works, not just as 'finger placement instructions'
Quote by inflatablefilth
not necessarily, but ideally, when you learned a piece of music (through tab or notation or by ear), you'd also spend time working out why and how certain notes are being played, and not just learning where to stick your fingers...

so if you're using tab as a way of being able to play someone else's song parrot fashion then it's not going to make you a good musician.. you'll just be a machine operator with fast hands...

by all means use tab, but use it as a starting point for learning how the music works, not just as 'finger placement instructions'

yeah thats what I've been doing

I can't figure out how the music works, I got a book and I'm trying but I'm still struggling a little.