I just started to learn how to play chess about a week ago and have a question about check/checkmate.

In this game:

Is the King in check or is this checkmate?
If it's check, can the King capture the Queen to get out of check?

Oh, and I just noticed the Bishop on B8, does that make a difference? Because I remember one of the rules being that you cannot move your King to a square that is being defended by another piece (put it in check).

And if the above is right, what if there were no Bishop on B8, could the King capture the Queen to get out of check, or would it still be checkmate?
Yep, it's checkmate. If the bishop wasn't there though it would only be check and the King would be able to take the Queen.
Check=Your king must move or a piece must move to protect it
Checkmate=you lose
Quote by acersucks
Even if you take away the Bishop on B8?

If the bishop moves to b3, the queen can still kill your king, I think.
Quote by adtthosa
Yep, it's checkmate. If the bishop wasn't there though it would only be check and the King would be able to take the Queen.

Ahh I see. I got confused because in some of the scenarios in Chessmaster, instead of capturing my piece, the opposing King would move away, even if my piece wasn't being protected.

Edit:
Quote by Portuguese_boy
If the bishop moves to b3, the queen can still kill your king, I think.

I'm playing black in this game. But what I meant was, if I had no Bishop on the board, would it still be a checkmate.
its checkmate

if you took the bishop away though, it would just be check, cause then the king could take the queen and get out of it
Quote by acersucks
Even if you take away the Bishop on B8?

If you're in check, you MUST move the king, or place a piece in the path of danger. Taking out the bishop is not an option in this scenario.

Check-mate.
Quote by gonzaw
IF he moves to G3?
What does the bishop at B8 have to do with it?

The pawn on F2 can kill him like that.

Quote by acersucks
Ahh I see. I got confused because in some of the scenarios in Chessmaster, instead of capturing my piece, the opposing King would move away, even if my piece wasn't being protected.

Edit:

I'm playing black in this game. But what I meant was, if I had no Bishop on the board, would it still be a checkmate.

I know, but you can only move the king one place, so you would still die.
Quote by gonzaw
IF he moves to G3?
What does the bishop at B8 have to do with it?

From what I understand: if the King captures my Queen, it will be under attack by my Bishop on B8, and from what I know, you cannot move your King to a square that is under attack, therefore the White King has no moves left. Am I right?
EDIT: *false statement*

No... wait... Why the hell is the king in that situation to begin with!?
I thought it was check. If the black king takes the Pawn in H3 he isn't putting himself in check. Please, correct me if I'm wrong.
Quote by Haedadru
I suggest nicola teslas powered radiation death ray mounted on an orange, top secret, neo-nazi flying swastika

What?
Quote by Judas Acolyte
I thought it was check. If the black king takes the Pawn in H3 he isn't putting himself in check. Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

Then the pawn at G2 would kill him.
Guys, I was Black in this game, and Black started at the bottom of the board, whoever asked.
Quote by Portuguese_boy
Then the pawn at G2 would kill him.

Thank you, my mind is mush as of right now.
Quote by Haedadru
I suggest nicola teslas powered radiation death ray mounted on an orange, top secret, neo-nazi flying swastika

What?
Quote by acersucks
From what I understand: if the King captures my Queen, it will be under attack by my Bishop on B8, and from what I know, you cannot move your King to a square that is under attack, therefore the White King has no moves left. Am I right?

So is this the reason why I won Portuguese_boy?

(Quoting myself ftw)
Quote by gonzaw
So your king is the one at G8?

Why does he wear woman's clothes?

Yes and
Quote by technocheese
i didn't think you could get out of check by taking another piece?

This is what my question is. Can you? I thought the answer was 'yes' but now im all confused again.

Edit: And if anyone's wondering, my Queen had just moved from D6 so this would have been White's turn now.
Last edited by acersucks at Aug 8, 2008,
Quote by acersucks
So is this the reason why I won Portuguese_boy?

(Quoting myself ftw)

I'm really confused, wait?
So you are black, you shouldn't be worried about you queen (G8), she is well protected and you can't move her since you have to protect your king (who is in check mate).

Your king has no moves, the game is over.
Quote by acersucks
This is what my question is. Can you? I thought the answer was 'yes' but now im all confused again.

Edit: And if anyone's wondering, my Queen had just moved from D6 so this would have been White's turn now.

yes you can

My mind is going. I can feel it.
Quote by MTVget0FFtheAIR
yes you can

This'll do for now. Off to play more chess!
I think some people are confused about which is the King and which is the Queen. The Queen is the one with the spiky tips, the King is the one with what looks like a target at the tip.

If the bishop at b8 was taken off the board, the King would be able to simply take the Queen. You most certainly can get out of check by taking a piece.
Last edited by adtthosa at Aug 8, 2008,
Quote by adtthosa
I think some people are confused about which is the King and which is the Queen. The Queen is the one with the spiky tips, the King is the one with the cross.

If the bishop at b8 was taken off the board, the King would be able to simply take the Queen. You most certainly can get out of check by taking a piece.

Damn, I feel like a dumbass.......
if the bishop were not there, you would be obligated to take the queen. Because you cannot put yourself in check, that is checkmate.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
Quote by adtthosa
I think some people are confused about which is the King and which is the Queen. The Queen is the one with the spiky tips, the King is the one with what looks like a target at the tip.

Ok that clears it all up. I thought the confusion was because nobody knew which colour I was playing.

Oh so that's why the guy asked why my King was dressed like a woman(I think). (King is the one with the Cross on his head)

Quote by Vornik
if the bishop were not there, you would be obligated to take the queen. Because you cannot put yourself in check, that is checkmate.

Ya, I realised this after thinking for quite some time.
Why are people giving him advice if you don't even what piece is what?
They just made the assumption that the King piece was the Queen and vice versa. I guess it would be kind of hard to guess, since the King does wear a crown (which is what the Queen piece looks like).
I didn't read all the thread, Checkmate atm, if you took the queen the rook would still put you under checkmate. Trying to take the queen would be putting yourself into checkmate which is against the rules.