We all know the terrible effect that playing through a Big Muff has on one's low end. Is this universal to all guitar pedals? Specifically, if I use a delay pedal built for a guitar with my bass, will I lose my precious low end?
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
VVVVV Ignore me, that guy knows what he's talking about.
Quote by top shelf

I couldn't do it [masturbate] with the cast on however. That's when I dug out my baby sister's stuffed animals and went to town

Quote by Tubyboulin
Is it bad that I imagined you saying that in a really sexy voice?
Last edited by NotAGuitarHero at Aug 8, 2008,
Guitar delays and most modulation pedals in general really have no effect on ones low end and sound great on bass.
Quote by thefitz
Interesting. It turns out that there are people on the forum who play an upright bass. I'll make a note of that.

*makes note*

*puts note on wall*

*stares at note for a minute*

*sits back down and resumes doing what I was doing*
I use a guitar delay on bass.

However, flangers and choruses need to be bass specific much of the time to work properly.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I really don't know about the flangers and chorus, Fitz, I use a Digitech Turbo Flange and an MXR stereo chorus with great results on bass. I also use an MXR Phase 90 as my main phaser, and a Metal Muff as my main distortion. For things like overdrive though, not fuzz or distortion, but overdrive I feel that a bass specific pedal is a must, as guitar overdrives tend to lack in the dirty heavy sounding bottom end and low mids that I favor.
Quote by thefitz
Interesting. It turns out that there are people on the forum who play an upright bass. I'll make a note of that.

*makes note*

*puts note on wall*

I think you're absolutely nuckin' futs for using a Metal Muff, but that's another story.

With choruses, some of them work well on both instruments, but in some cases, bass choruses have some nice timbral subtleties that the guitar ones don't. Phases go left-right, so they don't harm the low end. Flangers, however, go around, so that means there are points when the tone is super thin and totally assless, and points where the low-end is so super-saturated that it's overwhelming.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I've found that the Metal Muff's EQ points actually work really well on bass, and is basically a Low Mid Control a High Mid Control and a High control. It also gets just as heavy as I need without being too heavy and cuts through nicely.
Quote by thefitz

*makes note*

*puts note on wall*