Hi there UG. Ive just bought an SM57 for £2.20 off ebay, sold as faulty, after dismalntling, I discovered that the negative end of the capsuale wire had dropped off... (some people ) its a BRAND NEW MIC! the problem is this...

off their top of their head, can anyone tell me the order it puts together, as in capsuale... brass nut, thread, rubber housing... any help would be apreciated.
Squier Classic Vibe Custom
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Fender Jazz Bass
Quote by slash-120
I have exactly the same problem!.
except none of the wires are connected!.
would love to know.

is there wires coming from the capusale? there should be 2 red wires coming out...
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Fender Jazz Bass
just solder the yellow and the green to it... shouldnt be too much hassle, get the right phase
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Fender Jazz Bass
Slash-120's problem is easily fixable, but I don't quite understand you're question Nick.
I'm the new king
I taste the queen
In here we are all anemic
In here, anemic and sweet
Quote by Broken Lungs
Slash-120's problem is easily fixable, but I don't quite understand you're question Nick.

Mine is this, i have taken the bloody thing apart, but cant faham which order it goes back together. Theres once piece that looks like a bent clip of metal, i think its to stop the cartridge turning. not only that, but the grill dosent turn round because I think someones superglued it. any help there?
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Fender Jazz Bass
If I had an extra 57 laying around I would take one apart but I only have one and prefer not to break it trying to take one apart and put it back together.

next time take pics of how it was taken apart and lay the bits out so you know how it goes back together...

I have yet to see an image around showing how the mic goes together TBH
but you can try contacting Shure though email or something...see if they have an exploded view of the mic.
Hey guys. Bit of help from my father, I got it back together, not nesserly the right order but its working fine, really sensitive. The only problem is, whoever had it last, (i think) has glued the spinning head capsule on the top... so if it gets hit by a glancing blow of a drum stick, more then likley the same thing will hapen again. can you remove the grill from the top without disasembling the mic again?
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Fender Jazz Bass
...they glued the grill in place? haha

I have never taken the 57 apart other than unscrewing the middle part so I dont know how the top comes apart. I think you must remove the nut at the center to get that grill off...but that's just a guess. I know under normal conditions the grill spins and moves around a little but it is firmly in place.
Quote by moody07747
...they glued the grill in place? haha

I have never taken the 57 apart other than unscrewing the middle part so I dont know how the top comes apart. I think you must remove the nut at the center to get that grill off...but that's just a guess. I know under normal conditions the grill spins and moves around a little but it is firmly in place.

Its a common misnoma that the girll shouldnt spin around my geuss, my thought is that it was if a stick hit it a glancing blow, instead of shocking the mic, it would glance the blow off...
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Fender Jazz Bass
Quote by slash-120
Glad you resolved it
On my 57 , when you unscrew the middle, the wires aren't connected. and when you take the capsule off the wires are also unconnected. Can't find the place to solder them to.

are there red wires fatsened to the capusle?... jus fasten them to the yellow and green cables!.. its easy!
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Fender Jazz Bass