Hey

I'm looking to buy a pedal for phasing, but I'm not sure which to buy. The Phase Shifter is more flexible, and I can change it to do various tones for different songs. However, the Phase 90 is good for Van Halen type stuff, which is what I'm looking for in most of my music.

Thanks guys
They're both really great phasers, but for me the Phase 90 just fit my needs better.
Quote by thefitz
Interesting. It turns out that there are people on the forum who play an upright bass. I'll make a note of that.

*makes note*

*puts note on wall*

*stares at note for a minute*

*sits back down and resumes doing what I was doing*
From what I've read, and I've read allot since I want to buy one really soon.

The Phase 90 is thicker and a more lush vintage tone but you can only control speed but it comes with a threading on the knob so you can turn it with your foot.

While the ph-3 is thinner and digital but it has more features and you have more control over the phasing.

Now me I like experimental/weird stuff so I think I'll go with the ph-3 becuase the whole digital thing doesn't really scare me.

So basically if you like classic rock phase 90 if you like sonic rock ph-3
My Gear:
Fender SSH Strat
VOXAD50VT
Digitech Whammy IV
Boss Me-20
Boss PH-3
Line 6 FM-4
Boss DD-7 (With FS-5u)
Boss RC-20XL
The Boss Phaser is very good (Boss =/= shit), very flexible and the step phasing feature is very cool. The Phase 90 is regarded as a classic these days, trademark phasing sound. Just go to a guitar shop and play them both, you might like the simplicity of the Phase 90, or the wide range of sounds the Boss will give you.

Quote by Amitio
I want a phase 90, thats just me

i think the Muse avatar gives me a reason why you want one!
Quote by 5150EVH1984
Hey

I'm looking to buy a pedal for phasing, but I'm not sure which to buy. The Phase Shifter is more flexible, and I can change it to do various tones for different songs. However, the Phase 90 is good for Van Halen type stuff, which is what I'm looking for in most of my music.

Thanks guys

It's like asking if a DMM or Akai Headrush is a better delay...if you like the sound of the Phas 90, then you're golden. If you like lots of different phase sounds, go for the Boss.
Definitely go with the MXR Phase 90. Even though the Phase 90 has only one knob, it has a larger variety of sounds than the BOSS Phase Shifter. Also, Boss pedals aren't true bypass while MXR pedals are. If you choose Boss, your guitar will sound like crap when the pedal is off. Most Artists use the Phase 90. It may be more expensive, but it's worth it.
Quote by Drew Boyer
Definitely go with the MXR Phase 90. Even though the Phase 90 has only one knob, it has a larger variety of sounds than the BOSS Phase Shifter. Also, Boss pedals aren't true bypass while MXR pedals are. If you choose Boss, your guitar will sound like crap when the pedal is off. Most Artists use the Phase 90. It may be more expensive, but it's worth it.

1. Necrobump. Not cool.

2. The Phase 90 has less variety of sounds than the BOSS

3. I'm pretty sure the Phase 90 is NOT true bypass

4. Your guitar will not sound like crap when the pedal is off just because the pedal isn't true bypass; some people even prefer buffered bypass, while many can't even tell the difference.

5. It shouldn't matter if more "Artists" use the Phase 90. You should use what sounds good to you.
I'm Mitch, I like making guitar and bass gear reviews/comparisons on YouTube
YouTube

I play bass in an instrumental band called Beyond the Woods
Facebook
Twitter
Having owned both, and now the owner of a Blackout Whetstone...

Go with the Phase 90. It's a good, classic, simple, phaser in a box... All knob settings sound good, and it comes with minimal tone suck.

The Boss (I owned the PS-3) was tone suck crazy. There was an immediate, and ridiculous volume drop achieved when engaging the pedal, and the tones weren't that great (You could still get a good sound out of it... but the phase 90 just sounded better).

Also, the gimmicks with the Boss are just that - GIMMICKS. You will have fun with the step phasing, and then never use it again.
Quote by Drew Boyer
Also, Boss pedals aren't true bypass while MXR pedals are. If you choose Boss, your guitar will sound like crap when the pedal is off.

Boss pedals aren't true bypass. They are buffered. But I haven't found any tone suck from my ph3.

The pedals are two completely different beasts. As said before, the boss is more digital but the options on it are amazing. Whereas the mxr is a beautiful one trick pony.
Either of them will do the job it's all down to preference.

Edit: woah! Didn't realise this was a thread from 4 years ago! Can someone close this please.
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2