Page 1 of 3
Hey guys well I was just replying to a different thread about live bands. It reminded me of how I once discovered my favourite band. One day I was searching Soulseek for that "Bad Day - Daniel Powter" song... I was only about 13 - 14. So when a song came down named "Bad Days - Something Corporate", I played it confused on how this alien song came to be on my computer.

I pressed play and now 3 years on I have never looked back. Something Corporate are my favourite band ever.

I was wondering how did you guy's discover some of your favourite bands?

Edit: Also if you want to recommend some bands to other users, why not do it here.

Quote by Våd Hamster
Find a dice and assign a number to each girl. Throw the dice.

The number you hope for at the moment you throw the dice, is the one you'll want to keep.
Last edited by thanksgiving at Aug 8, 2008,
my dad listened to stuff like, green day, blink 182, the offspring, the clash and alot of old punk..... so thats the reason.
Quote by Holy Katana
Your last job only paid you $7.00 AUD an hour? That's like $6.05 in the US. What the hell is the minimum wage over there?

Quote by titsmcgee852
$0 for volunteer work

ollollolollol

^
Mostly hearing about them on different forums.

Judas Priest I found myself though.
About 4 years since I first started to listen too them.
They brought me into metal.
Follow the smoke toward the riff filled land
brutal
I was up till about 2 o'clock in the morning, and the bbc were playing a the P.U.L.S.E show. When I heard those chords in Breathe, I was hooked.
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
//////////////////////////////////////HEALTH
A few songs from video's that i have watched and liked, therefore downloaded them afterwards.

KillerBuckEye, one of the guitarists im subscribed to on YouTube, got me into the Human Abstract after i watched his cover of "Polaris".

Metallica was found after i heard "Nothing Else Matters" and decided to download the discography, i much prefer thier heavier stuff now though.

Pantera was through a Friend who linked me to a few live videos.

Eh...alot of stuff from videos actually
Mostly through other people's suggestions to me. The Smiths through my partner, David Bowie through my history teacher's long-winded declarations of how good the man is. Though I found Kate Bush when a classmate of mine introduced me to the song Wuthering Heights, playing it non stop and doing funny dances at every opportunity. I always like listening to more music so I listened to some other songs of hers after watching the Wuthering Heights video on Youtube, and since then haven't looked back from striving to marry the woman. Musical genius.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
i dont really have a single favorite band, and the ones that are my favorites change every few months. i usually find new bands by browsing these forums.
Linkin Park and lostprophets - Mums fave bands
Metallica and Pantera - Dad's faves
Rise Against, Saosin, and My Chem - YouTube browsing
ATREYU, Chiodos, ShineDown, Avenged Sevenfold, Disturbed, Breaking Benjamin, Three Days Grace and SlipKnot - Friend's reference
Bullet for My Valentine, Story of the Year, and basically everything else I like - The Media

Yes, I am a total fanboy.
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
www.pandora.com

is awesome.
Proud owner of:
1981 Carvin X100B
1987 Strat Plus w/ DiMarzios
BBE Main Squeeze
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-7
Morley Mark Tremonti Power Wah
Some dude on youtube suggested I listened to Porcupine Tree.

Found the Deftones by accident one time when looking for music in an open index directory thingy. Thought I'd give it a go, one of my best decisions ever.
Straylight Run through a friend. I was a Taking Back Sunday fan and he thought I'd like Straylight. One of my favorite bands now. I discovered Say Anything after I saw the video for Shiksa on fuse. I found out about Circle Takes The Square from the real screamo thread. And I listened to The Mars Volta just out of curiosity.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
My friend from church saw that Buckethead was on GH2, and he said, "dude I have like 12-13 of his albums." He gave me Monsters and Robots, Bucketheadland 2, Giant Robot, and Cuckoo Clocks of Hell. I've been hooked ever since.
Quote by HelpTravesty
Hey everyone, SMOKE WEED!

It's raining blood from a lacerated sky.

Through my hippie uncle who is a cheap version of chong. He got me into 70's rock as well as 90's rock. You name it.
Member of the Grammar Nazi Club. PM Your41Plague12 to Join.

Member #6 of the Orange Tiny Terror Club
I was on the way to japan in the plane listening to paradise city, I had heard it before but it really got to me that day looking out the window at the sky, I then listened to their whole catalog twice
Quote by Thy Woodzy

Metallica was found after i heard "Nothing Else Matters" and decided to download the discography, i much prefer thier heavier stuff now though.

+1! I was six and my uncle recorded a copy of the black album for me. i was huge into nirvana then, but when i heard "enter sandman" i was stunned! i eventually worked my way back and loved it. then load / later yrs happened and i still loved it.
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
Last edited by joshua029 at Aug 8, 2008,
Paul Gilbert was through hearing his name being mentionned on here as well as a signed pgm301 and Laney head sitting in the guitars shop every time I went in to get strings. eventually curiosity got the better of me and I looked him up.

metallica was through a friend of mine who was into rap and dragonball z. he made me a disk of Anime music videos made with dragonball z clips that he'd downloaded from limewire. one of the songs was no leaf clover which, after a bit of digging and asking around, lead me to get S&M. which then made me decide to get everything else they'd done.

Alter bridge was through hearing Mark tremonti's name being thrown about in magazines an on forums.

and buckethead was through the 'guitars suck' series on google video. I also discovered lane, bumblefoot and rusty cooley (and hence outworld) from those vids too
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
I heard Opeth mentioned on here somewhere, in a far off distant time when my young innocent soul didn't listen to ANY metal (I couldn't have named a Sabbath song). I downloaded something and when I listened to it, I literally felt sick. It felt just so dark, oppressing, and yet strangely haunting. It scared me.

But, a few years later, I started to listen to them again, and where the old traits of Opeth would have put me off, instead they attracted me. Now I've nearly got all the albums (minus Watershed and Ghost Reveries). In short, now Opeth is as necessary to me as air itself.
Gear:
Ibanez S470 (EMG 81/S/85)
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
I met a girl at International Music Camp who was huge into Indie Rock

She burned me CD's filled with her favorite songs from Death Cab For Cutie, Cute is What We Aim for, Motion City Soundtrack, and a mixed CD with a whole bunch of singles. Just branching off the songs that she gave me I discovered Something Corporate, Elemeno P, Steel Train, and Say Anything. I've bought like another 8 albums since she hooked me up with some of these bands.

Plus, my dad has kept me interested in the band "Barenaked Ladies" since I was old enough to understand the humor behind the band name.
Quote by top shelf

I couldn't do it [masturbate] with the cast on however. That's when I dug out my baby sister's stuffed animals and went to town

Quote by Tubyboulin
Is it bad that I imagined you saying that in a really sexy voice?
Dead Kennedys--------- I was getting more and more into Punk at the time and I saw them on my friend's leathers and she never shut up about them, thought I'd give them a go
i usually find them through band connections...
that's how i found Joe Satriani, Jason Becker, Marty Friedman, etc...
last.fm is useful, too...

btw, i don't really have a favourite...
I borrowed a tape off a mate when I was about 12 or 13 that had a bunch of stuff on it, and right at the end of one side there was about a minutes worth of Splattermania by The Wildhearts, which he hadn't quite taped over. That was it, I was totally hooked - it was the greatest thing I'd ever heard, and I just HAD to find out who the hell it was. Even 15 years later they're still the greatest band I've ever listened to.
[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']^ This man knows everything.

Seriously, don't even try and question him, he'll rip your face off with his awesomeness alone.
Quote by Kumanji
@ yet another win post from Vince. Kudos to you, sir.
My uncle sent me Steve Miller Band and Who CDs a long time ago and ever since then I started listening to all my dad's old classic rock stuff, and my mom is really into jazz so now I like both
led zeppelin and the beatles are the best though, and I hate to say it here but the best bass player in the world is in fact Victor Wooten, a jazz player
I am coining new words like 'misunderstanding' and 'Hispanically'

"Civilization is unbearable, but it is less unbearable at the top"
-Timothy Leary

crit my songs (click on my profile)
Incubus - just thought ''hey I hear about this band a lot , so I looked them up, found Annamolly on youtube - and the rest is history, now I own all their albums.

Nine Inch Nails - Saw March of the Pigs video on Scuzz , just amazed me.

Placebo - found an old and what I thought to be blank cd in my brother's room , put it in computer , it was their greatest hits. Thought Brian was a girl for ages
I am not really into the whole Jazz or Blues scene, but I must agree that some of the guys you have mentioned are legendary artists.

Quote by Våd Hamster
Find a dice and assign a number to each girl. Throw the dice.

The number you hope for at the moment you throw the dice, is the one you'll want to keep.
Quote by thanksgiving
Hey guys well I was just replying to a different thread about live bands. It reminded me of how I once discovered my favourite band. One day I was searching Soulseek for that "Bad Day - Daniel Powter" song... I was only about 13 - 14. So when a song came down named "Bad Days - Something Corporate", I played it confused on how this alien song came to be on my computer.

I pressed play and now 3 years on I have never looked back. Something Corporate are my favourite band ever.

I was wondering how did you guy's discover some of your favourite bands?

Edit: Also if you want to recommend some bands to other users, why not do it here.

Question.

Why would you search for Daniel Powter on Soulseek? There is limewire for that.
I've almost finished.
Muse through GH3
Eric Clapton through my father
Radiohead through Pitchfork
Weezer through a friend
The Verve through YouTube featured videos.
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
Oingo Boingo - somebody on another forum.
The Beatles - my dad.
Pink Floyd - my dad.
Stereophonics - downloaded the song "Dakota" by them on accident.
Quote by RPGoof
Pink Floyd... I stole my brother's CD
Lamb of God... Guitar Hero2
System of a Down... THPS something

Tony Hawks FTW! They always had the best music..
when I was 4,my first memory was me with a toy guitar,underwear around my head,blaring the back in black and toys in the attic albums from ACDC and Aerosmith respectivly.I was watching the Red Wings,how I got into hockey.Eric Clapton came about last year,because I started guitar,and Led Zeppelin came from watching School of Rock.
meh
I was asking my friends for songs to learn and one of them said comfortably numb. I listened to it on youtube and it blew me away and now i love floyd.
I already had ...and the Circus Leaves Town, but I fell in love with Kyuss when a guy I did work experience with gave me a copy of Welcome to Sky Valley on my last day there.
Old CDs and TV.
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████

You'll Never Walk Alone
(hopefully i dont get flamed(even though probly i will))

but i discovered the whole genre of rock from guitar hero lol
before u only listened to hip-hop (but not that sh!t on the radio that i know most of u hate)

i liked it...so i started listening....then the more rock then the guitar and here i am

but i discovered all the bands i like from the internet
the greatest invention ever...after fapping
Quote by OrangePossum
Yep, it's Soviet UG versus bdfs05.

good luck.

Quote by bdfs05
fuck yea i got sigged

Quote by MyNameIsLame

When you're in the Pit, substitute any valid, reasonable answer with one of the following: fap, smoke pot, drink alcohol, rape, and/or murder.
Tool. A friend of mine started listening to them last year and I'd heard Schism and Aenema when I was 10 but never really was interested then (guess at the age you'd expect it). He doesn't really listen to them anymore but I love them.

Sigur Ros. Bought () in a music shop after hearing good stuff about them, didn't actually get into it right away and only 6 months or so later I starting to really love it, then bought the other albums.

Radiohead. Brother use to love them and after just listening to OK Computer I really got into all their disography about 2 years ago.
I just find CDs lying about - Bowie/Simon and Garfunkel/the Who. Compilation CDs are good too. Found out about Beck through that episode of Futurama/Youtube. Also. The HMV sale - Nick Cave & Bad Seeds. It was £7 so - why not?
Page 1 of 3