So im gonna make this a little more detailed!

I need to figure out what i should get. I want to get an MXR 10-band Equalizer for my randall, but i dont know if it will get to the gain i want. If it cant i will get a Distortion pedal.

I play mainly stuff like:
Lamb Of God <-mainly, i also write songs with this type gain.
Metallica
Atreyu
Coheed and Cambria

I play an Uber Metal Pedal with these settings:

Level: However lound i can be.
Scoop: 3
Drive: 10
Bass: 10
Mids: 8
Treble: 10

Through the amp with these settings: (this is through the clean channel with the pedal)

Gain: 10
Bass: 10
Mids: 8-9
Treble: 10
Prescence: 10

These settings get me almost where i want to be but not all the way. Can the Equalizer do that? If not what can? I have about $150.
Obsession! Obsessive! Obsessed! Abscess!
Last edited by Dimefan69 at Aug 8, 2008,
dude with that EQ in you amp the sound should be kind of muddy. try turning down yout lows mids an trebles
also what kind of sound are you looking for, IMO EQ pedals are great for tone shaping, altough a good distortion from the start is nicer
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
if you want to get that type of sound might i suggest saving for a used mark IV combo... but an EQ might help a bit...
It suprisingly doesnt.

Im trying to go for a really high gain tone like lamb of god minus the Mark IV.

And i just bought my randall. i cant just buy another amp.
The uber metal pedal should have no issues getting you into the LOG Realm... For starters LOG dont have a scooped mids tone or run alot of gain there tone is really mid heavy. So i would work on your eqing a bit more and see what you can come up with.

What setting are you using Metal, Pulverize or Insane?

What Randall amp do you have?
Quote by i_am_metalhead

Therefore, yes they do slightly scoop their mids and they do have a bit of gain!

The Marks are middy as hell, that's why it's scooped.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
mabe you should just try the amps gain without the pedal cause most randalls have ****loads of gain
Dan The Man Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians Only

Gear Fund 1000/ ???

Yes his name is Dan
http://www.mesaboogie.com/Reviews/2007-ROADSTER-GB/WillieAdler-LambofGod.jpg

Quote by i_am_metalhead
Here is Willie Adler's EQ taken straight from his amp (Via the Killadelphia DVD)

Gain: 7
Bass: 3 1/2
Mid: 4
High: 8

Therefore, yes they do slightly scoop their mids and they do have a bit of gain!

TS: I really can't see a Randall giving you problems. Any Randall I've ever tried has had massive amounts of gain. Just try playing around with the EQ a bit!

Lol you do realize a Mesa Mark IV isnt a Uber metal pedal right so the settings wont be the same. And i guess you forgot about his other amp that he runs which is a Mesa Roadster. He scoops one and mid humps the other to get his tone. Now take that info and add it to the fact that mesa pushs out a hella lot of mids being a mid heavy amp. Also im sure you know there happens to be another memeber of the band Mark Morton that also contributes to there tone...

So how can you post up this and say thats how you get there tone lol..

Have you actually even listened to the band if you cant tell there mid heavy you are tone deaf...

Sorry for the rant just tired of settings junkies that dont know anything about the amps or the bands and dont even judge the tone with there own ears to know what is going on...
The randalls gain is mid-level. its from the 80's so they werent making them for modern tone. I want something different because the Uber Metal sounds too Digital. I want something more organic.
Quote by Dimefan69
The randalls gain is mid-level. its from the 80's so they werent making them for modern tone. I want something different because the Uber Metal sounds too Digital. I want something more organic.

You should have bought a tube amp then :P
Quote by Dimefan69

You don't need that much gain for LOG either. The EQ is probably better for fine tweaking the voicing of the Randall.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by UncleCthulhu
You should have bought a tube amp then :P

can people just help me? im just looking for some ideas. i know what My amp can do and what i want. you can tell me it does everything. it doesnt matter if it wont give Me the sound i want.
Get both, you should have enough dough.

You can get a MXR 6 band and a EH Metal Muff for a little more than $150.
Or look on Craigslist, eBay or Daddy's Junky Music used gear site for deals.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Nope... never listened to them. I don't own all of their cds. I don't own their dvds. I didn't meet them in '04. In fact, I don't even know who Lamb of God is.
First off, I never claimed to be a "settings junkie" so stop assuming **** - I was just posting that to give a reference to what their EQ's look like.

Second, Willie JUST got the second Mesa - he's been running through a single Mark IV until very recently (where as Mark has always split his signal and ran it through two Mark IVs).

Third, and lastly, you are an asshat and a complete waste of my time.

the fact is you gave some bad advise and this isn't the first time in GG&A have you come into a thread to give half ass information that you know little about and try to pass it as if you know a lot about it. And it really doesn't matter if you met the band or own all their cd's and dvd's. If you're tone deaf, you're tone deaf. And since you're not a "setting junkie" I'm going to ASSUME you're tone deaf.

And lastly, don't disrespect Ibanezpsycho. He has much more knowledge when it comes to tone.

sorry for the rant. Im just sick of reading I_am_metal's rubbish.
And how old are you? is that you in your pictures? start acting your age, internet or not.
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
Quote by sg622
the fact is you gave some bad advise and this isn't the first time in GG&A have you come into a thread to give half ass information that you know little about and try to pass it as if you know a lot about it. And it really doesn't matter if you met the band or own all their cd's and dvd's. If you're tone deaf, you're tone deaf. And since you're not a "setting junkie" I'm going to ASSUME you're tone deaf.

And lastly, don't disrespect Ibanezpsycho. He has much more knowledge when it comes to tone.

sorry for the rant. Im just sick of reading I_am_metal's rubbish.
And how old are you? is that you in your pictures? start acting your age, internet or not.

There... all of my "bad advice" is gone. Stop your bitching now.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
There... all of my "bad advice" is gone. Stop your bitching now.

get the eq pedal, it makes any rig sound 10 folds better. And by any rig, i mean most rigs. And my most rigs i mean, Any Rig.
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
Quote by sg622

get the eq pedal, it makes any rig sound 10 folds better. And by any rig, i mean most rigs. And my most rigs i mean, Any Rig.

Don't role your eyes at me!!

But seriously, I'm sorry for the misleading advice... I honestly was just trying to give a reference point of where to set the EQ and then tweak it from there.

You didn't have to be so mean to me
Quote by 667
Get both, you should have enough dough.

You can get a MXR 6 band and a EH Metal Muff for a little more than $150.
Or look on Craigslist, eBay or Daddy's Junky Music used gear site for deals.

thats an amesome idea. does the Metal Muff take away bass? if it does i can put the EQ in front of the the MM. would that sound good?
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Don't role your eyes at me!!

But seriously, I'm sorry for the misleading advice... I honestly was just trying to give a reference point of where to set the EQ and then tweak it from there.

You didn't have to be so mean to me

Ill show you where you went wrong so maybe you wont do it again in the future..

Therefore, yes they do slightly scoop their mids and they do have a bit of gain! (you coming at me like I dont know what im talking about when you dont know the band... (bad posting etiquette)

VS.

Heres some settings i found so I would start with that and tweak from there.. (good post etiquette)

And sg622
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Ill show you where you went wrong so maybe you wont do it again in the future..

Therefore, yes they do slightly scoop their mids and they do have a bit of gain! (you coming at me like I dont know what im talking about when you dont know the band... (bad posting etiquette)

VS.

Heres some settings i found so I would start with that and tweak from there.. (good post etiquette)

And sg622

Yea, sorry about that. It was very bad posting etiquette on my part. But it just kind of pissed me off when you were talking **** about me not knowing the band because I know more about LoG than any human should ever know lol...

I'm not, however, a tone freak... and I was just trying to give a general guideline of where to start with the EQ.

Sorry for the misunderstanding
Stop fighting through my thread. im not looking for settings or trivia facts on LOG. (even though thoughs were good things to know about my dream amp ((mark IV))

some help would be nice.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Yea, sorry about that. It was very bad posting etiquette on my part. But it just kind of pissed me off when you were talking **** about me not knowing the band because I know more about LoG than any human should ever know lol...

I'm not, however, a tone freak... and I was just trying to give a general guideline of where to start with the EQ.

Sorry for the misunderstanding

Its all good man
Quote by Dimefan69
Stop fighting through my thread. im not looking for settings or trivia facts on LOG. (even though thoughs were good things to know about my dream amp ((mark IV))

some help would be nice.

My apologies we thought you were wanting to get LOG's tone which would involve you using different settings then you currently using...

Given the circumstances the answer to your question is NO an eq wont do anything for you neither will a distortion pedal........
Quote by IbanezPsycho
My apologies we thought you were wanting to get LOG's tone which would involve you using different settings then you currently using...

Given the circumstances the answer to your question is NO an eq wont do anything for you neither will a distortion pedal........

i wasnt tryin to be mean to yall. just sayin. but yea. im ditching the boost the amps OD idea. im gonna get a Metal Muff and a six band to help shape the MM to the perfect sound.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
http://www.mesaboogie.com/Reviews/2007-ROADSTER-GB/WillieAdler-LambofGod.jpg

Lol you do realize a Mesa Mark IV isnt a Uber metal pedal right so the settings wont be the same. And i guess you forgot about his other amp that he runs which is a Mesa Roadster. He scoops one and mid humps the other to get his tone. Now take that info and add it to the fact that mesa pushs out a hella lot of mids being a mid heavy amp. Also im sure you know there happens to be another memeber of the band Mark Morton that also contributes to there tone...

So how can you post up this and say thats how you get there tone lol..

Have you actually even listened to the band if you cant tell there mid heavy you are tone deaf...

Sorry for the rant just tired of settings junkies that dont know anything about the amps or the bands and dont even judge the tone with there own ears to know what is going on...

Your definetely right. I'm pretty bad at picking out tones but it's obvious LOG are mid-heavy. Don't worry your Uber Metal pedal will get that sound. My buddy's in a band and they play lots of LOG and August Burns Red and that and he nails the tone.
Epiphone Les Paul (Modded with 2 passive pickups and an EMG81)
Yamaha RG guitar w/ Floyd Rose
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Danelectro Metal. Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech CF-7, Crybaby Wah, Danelectro EQ.
just so everyone understands. I AM DITCHING THE UBER METAL! Its too digital for me.