I'm still new to music and have been learning guitar for some months now. I still love it but I've also had this feeling of wanting to play bass as well growing, as i just love to hear those funky and deep rhythms. I might not be able to get a bass & amp in awhile in order to play it. Is there bass techniques i can practice on the guitar that could maybe help once I do get a bass guitar, or perhaps musical theory that i can study about the bass?

Also another question to throw out there, is there any amps out that have a wide range and are able to be used for both bass and guitar?

thank you.
well, theory for bass and guitar is basically the same, considering that they both have the same notes on the first four strings
but the frets and strings feel different than a guitar's...
but if you learn guitar, it'll help you with bass
You can in fact plug a bass into a guitar amp. I'm doing it now, for lack of bass amp, as yourself. Main thing is don't turn it up too loud, because that will surely fry the speakers. As for techniques on the guitar, I'd just say practice using your 3 fingers, and placing your thumb on one of the strings or one of the p-ups. Almost like playing classical, but not exactly, haha.
My gear:
Schecter C-1+ w/ Seymour duncan Jazz (neck) and Full Shred (bridge), with Sperzels
B-52 LG-100A 4x12 half stack
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Some sort of acoustic Squier
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus
yep just keep practicing in your guitar and you will get somewhat better at bass, but keep in mind bass is a diferent thing. play some basslines in your guitar
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Quote by Blackening
i dont know anybody who plays the guitar but is not able to play bass o0

There's a difference between playing the bass and being a bassist. And conversely, I don't know any bassist who can play guitar. But again, there's a difference between playing the guitar and being a guitarist.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
There's a difference between playing the bass and being a bassist. And conversely, I don't know any bassist who can play guitar. But again, there's a difference between playing the guitar and being a guitarist.

This.

I am a "bassist" but I can't play more than a few chords on my acoustic guitar. My brother can shred on guitar but he gets lost on bass when I tell him to try some things (I told him to try slapping and he looked at me like I told him to try fapping)

If anything, get used to playing with your fingers instead of with picks. It's much more versatile on bass in terms of what you can do with fingerpicking, especially if you're interested in getting unique with the styling. I purposely chew the nails on my ring and index fingers but leave my middle finger nail long because I do crazy things with that nail.
Quote by top shelf

I couldn't do it [masturbate] with the cast on however. That's when I dug out my baby sister's stuffed animals and went to town

Quote by Tubyboulin
Is it bad that I imagined you saying that in a really sexy voice?
Quote by NotAGuitarHero
I purposely chew the nails on my ring and index fingers but leave my middle finger nail long because I do crazy things with that nail.

Like what?
Siggity-sig-sig-sig.
Scraping, really hard plucking, etc.

Overall things you could do with a pick in terms of style, but instead of having a piece of plastic in my hand I just have a natural item on the end of my fingertip.

Plus it sounds hella cool when you run the nail down the strings.
Quote by top shelf

I couldn't do it [masturbate] with the cast on however. That's when I dug out my baby sister's stuffed animals and went to town

Quote by Tubyboulin
Is it bad that I imagined you saying that in a really sexy voice?
Quote by Boss61607
well, theory for bass and guitar is basically the same, considering that they both have the same notes on the first four strings
but the frets and strings feel different than a guitar's...
but if you learn guitar, it'll help you with bass

There are several statements here which are wrong:

- Only musical theory are shared between Guitar and Bass, practical theory is not

- Basses are tuned different to guitars, thus why a 6string bass is BEADGC not EADGBE

- Learning Guitar doesn't help with bass, as the playing styles are completely different, if you play bass like a guitar, people will laugh at you.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
^ Not all 6'ers are tuned like that...there is no standard. I've played a 6-string bass tuned EADGBe before. Also played the same bass tuned EADGCF.
Nope, no sig here.