I was just wondering if anyone on UG follows, is interested in, or even knows what Drum Corps is.

In case you don't know, but are interested anyways, DCI is an organization similar to a professional sports league, but is comprised of 20 world class Drum Corps, or groups similar to marching bands but with only Brass, Flags, and percussion. Every year thousands of kids between the ages of 16 to 21 audition for these corps and then spend their entire 11 week summer on tour, sleeping on buses and enduring sometimes 18 hour rehearsals to perfect a single 11 minute "show" where they compete in competitions across the country leading up to finals night, which is tomorrow night. Scores are based on visual and musical precision and general effect.

Anyways, been a great season so far, best top 6 ever it seems, but it looks like blue devils are gonna take it all again. Cavaliers and Phantom are right behind them though. Crown putting out their best show ever, currently in 4th proving they are serious contenders from now on.

So, anyone else follow this activity?
oh thank the lord that there is someone else here following.... I want cavies to win, but id be more than happy for phantom to finally earn their extremely well deserved title.
GEAR
Jackson RR3
Ibanez RG5
Assorted BC Rich's
Peavey Valveking halfstack
Assorted effects

Quote by Jayez
i got guitar hero 3, but without the controller.......my moms IQ is below 60.
yeah i went to DCI west this year.
and i went to the finals last year but they are too far away now.

I personally like phantom's performance better than the devils this year.

Vanguard are my favorite but they really dropped the ball this year i think.
yeah vanguard is definitely lacking, especially in the drumline. I was at one of their rehearsals at a local high school and throughout the day, they were barely making improvements. I agree with you about phantoms performance over BD's. Its TOO absurd.
GEAR
Jackson RR3
Ibanez RG5
Assorted BC Rich's
Assorted effects

Quote by Jayez
Phantom deserves the win more than anyone else, but I just think Cavies and BD's visual program is on another level than everyone else. at DCI atlanta Phantom was BY FAR the favorite, no one got the crowd reaction they got.

did you guys audition anywhere? I auditioned at Crown this past year but willingly gave up my spot, which I really regret considering how well their doing this year.
I know a guy on the Crossmen corps marching baritone. They have no chance against the Blue Devils, but still, the Crossmen are crowd pleasers.
Call me Jack.
All that you love...
...you must love now.
My Gear:
PRS Custom 24
Standard MIM Tele
Larrivée LV-09E
Rivera Clubster 45 112 Combo Tube
Boss ME-20 Multi-effects pedal
Boss OC-3 Super octave pedal
My own home-made octave-up pedal
Two of my band directors are former staff members on the Phantom Regiment. One of them marched in the original "Spartacus"

Phantom is definitely the fan favorite this year, and I'm glad they took over Carolina Crown last night.
I really like the crossmen, i saw them earlier this season, i really like the show design, it reminded me a lot of boston's show though, but its a shame they didnt make finals, although i am very happy for madison.

I was actually going to march euphonium with the spartans this year, but time, payment, and overall the corps was kind of a dissapointment this year, so i chose not to. I want to maybe march with spartans or citations next year, but in the drumline, because i am a drummer, then audition for boston, and then cavies.
GEAR
Jackson RR3
Ibanez RG5
Assorted BC Rich's
Assorted effects

Quote by Jayez
I havent been following to close this year, but kinda.

Its funny, cause I always remember the Phantom Regiment being a second rate corp in the DCI. But now there gonna take it all!

Im very disappointed with the Santa Clara Van Gaurd this year. Especially their drumline, and to think that was the drumline that pioneered electric wheel chair.
Jackson, I assume you're watching the fan network feed too, right? right on.

I predict phantom might jump ahead. they were 1st in effect AND music, but placed I think 5th in visual so that kept them down. After 2 whole days of pure visual practice I think they can pull this off, especially since BD scored PERFECT visually, and can't improve much from that but can only go down. Cavies brass is hurting them too.

What do you think of The Cadets this year?
vanguards drumline is lacking indeed. that is one of my all time favorite cadences, right up there with latin lover, and grevious groove
GEAR
Jackson RR3
Ibanez RG5
Assorted BC Rich's
Assorted effects

Quote by Jayez
I went to a competion last year in tennessee on a high school trip. It was pretty cool, but I don't really follow it. I do know that the blue devils do win a lot though.
Quote by coffeeguy9
Jackson, I assume you're watching the fan network feed too, right? right on.

I predict phantom might jump ahead. they were 1st in effect AND music, but placed I think 5th in visual so that kept them down. After 2 whole days of pure visual practice I think they can pull this off, especially since BD scored PERFECT visually, and can't improve much from that but can only go down. Cavies brass is hurting them too.

What do you think of The Cadets this year?

no, unfortunately... i'm stuck with the blue devils live blog, and my girlfriend watching down in indiana right now, she marches with spartans..

The cadets to me, are dissapointing.... seriously, ditch the narraration... its gone from "helping" to portray the theme to THE theme. They have some REAL talent, its just a real shame that it is masked by the narraration... I hope their lower finish this year will help knock some sense into george hopkins' head...oh well..

I really do want phantom to jump ahead, in fact, i'd be happy with phantom in first, BD in second, and cavies in third. Phantom really deserves this.
GEAR
Jackson RR3
Ibanez RG5
Assorted BC Rich's
Assorted effects

Quote by Jayez
I played at DCA/DCI (Quarter?)Finals at Marcus Whitman this year.

EditL I played at DCA quarterfinals.
Last edited by $Guitarist$ at Aug 8, 2008,
Quote by $Guitarist$
I played at DCA/DCI Finals in Waterloo this year.

how do you mean? finals are tomorrow night, in bloomington indiana.

EDIT: quarter finals were also in bloomington. What did you play?
Quote by coffeeguy9
how do you mean? finals are tomorrow night, in bloomington indiana.

Oh, I edited it. I played at some kind of quarter-final type thing in my school's percussion ensemble. It was at Marcus Whitman school in New York. Many lines from Rochester, Syracuse, South Carolina, and various other states competed. I remember the Empire Statesmen, Rochester Crusaders, Fusion Core, Brigadiers, and the Carolina Gold.

Edit: I also don't know if it was DCA or DCI
that would be dca
GEAR
Jackson RR3
Ibanez RG5
Assorted BC Rich's
Assorted effects

Quote by Jayez