hey guys,

i wrote this riff on my guitar set in drop C and my band really wants to put it together but we can't find what key its in. it sounds so right too!!!!!

help!

the notes:

C D D# F G G# A#

using harmonic minors and blues notes i couldn't find the key!!!!
is it "wrong"?!?!"

if found please explain BC THIS IS PISSING ME OFF!!
SUBSCRIBE!

Gibson SG faded, black hardware/ EMG81-89
peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Avatar 2x12 w/ Hellatone 60/ K100
Behringer FB1010
=o

so this is in the KEY OF C or Eb Major??

can you please explain
SUBSCRIBE!

peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Behringer FB1010
how you came to the solution that its in Eb Major/c.
im sorry im knew to theory, im still learning how to solo in the key of G and D and working on memorizing my modes and blues notes and harmonic minors =]
SUBSCRIBE!

peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Behringer FB1010
Quote by ilovemySG
how you came to the solution that its in Eb Major/c.
im sorry im knew to theory, im still learning how to solo in the key of G and D and working on memorizing my modes and blues notes and harmonic minors =]

1. Don't worry about modes or harmonic minor until you understand the major scale well.

2. I looked at the notes you gave; in a diatonic scale, two notes can't be names with the same letter, so where you had something like "C D D#" I knew it had to be Eb. Since the line contained three flat notes (Eb, Ab, Bb) I knew that the key signatures of either Eb major or C minor would work correctly.
wait is the relative minor to c, Eb?
SUBSCRIBE!

peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Behringer FB1010
Just go with C minor. The notes are right for it.
Neon Neon Neon Neon Neon Black

UG's #1 anti-active advocate

Gear:
Engl Powerball
Carvin DC727
Schecter C-1+
Line 6 Flextone 3
Line 6 M9
Quote by ilovemySG

Other way around, but yes. The relative minor to C major is A. The relative minor to Eb is C.

Gear:
Engl Powerball
Carvin DC727
Schecter C-1+
Line 6 Flextone 3
Line 6 M9
Quote by COBHC728
Just go with C minor. The notes are right for it.

The notes are also right for Eb major; you wouldn't just "go for" something, you'd have to know where your tonal center is.
alright so, D# is the blues note, what about the other two ?
SUBSCRIBE!

peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Behringer FB1010
Quote by ilovemySG
alright so, D# is the blues note, what about the other two ?

D# is not the blue note. If you're in C minor, Gb would be the blue note.

Regardless, it's not D#, it's an Eb, and functions as the minor third. It's the color tone of the tonic chord.
Quote by ilovemySG

No, the relative minor of Eb major is C minor

The relative minor to C major is A minor.

maybe your question wasn't worded right.

oops way too slow.
Si
holy CRAP you guys know your ****,

ile make myself sound even more stupid, but what notes am i allowed to sing, solo, and play over with this?
SUBSCRIBE!

peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Behringer FB1010
Quote by :-D
The notes are also right for Eb major; you wouldn't just "go for" something, you'd have to know where your tonal center is.

He's playing in C aeolian. That's minor.

Gear:
Engl Powerball
Carvin DC727
Schecter C-1+
Line 6 Flextone 3
Line 6 M9
Quote by ilovemySG
holy CRAP you guys know your ****,

ile make myself sound even more stupid, but what notes am i allowed to sing, solo, and play over with this?

Don't worry, everyone learns sometime.

You can use any note and largely it'll depend on which chord you're going over, but try to generally stick to in-key notes, which are C D Eb F G Ab Bb. Also, since the second and sixth degrees in a minor key aren't quite as consonant (D and Ab), the C minor pentatonic scale, comprised of the notes C Eb F G Bb, would work well. If you're working in a minor key, the seventh degree will often be raised and you'll have a B natural as your leading tone. If you play the B into the C it'll sound well resolved because of the semitonal movement; again, though, it's largely contextual.

It's a lot of information and you don't need to digest it all at once, but it's a general overview. Any other questions are welcome. Keep in mind that if you are in fact playing Eb major and not C minor, some of this information will be different.

Quote by COBHC728
He's playing in C aeolian. That's minor.

He gave us the notes, not the order or the underlying harmony. You can't just assume he's playing in C minor without hearing or analyzing the music.
Last edited by :-D at Aug 8, 2008,
Eb major = Eb F G Ab Bb C D Eb

Triads (chords) = Eb; Fm; Gm; Ab; Bb; Cm D(dim)

If it's resolving to C
Notes
C D Eb F G Ab Bb
Chords
Cm D(dim) Eb Fm Gm Ab Bb.
If it's in C minor (i.e. C is the root you might try G major instead of G minor this will include a B which you could then play over the G chord or against the G specifically leading into the C).
Si

He gave us the notes, not the order or the underlying harmony. You can't just assume he's playing in C minor without hearing or analyzing the music.

In the order he gave them, it looked like C Aeolian. Hearing the notes in that order sounds like minor.

Gear:
Engl Powerball
Carvin DC727
Schecter C-1+
Line 6 Flextone 3
Line 6 M9

You can use any note and largely it'll depend on which chord you're going over, but try to generally stick to in-key notes, which are C D Eb F G Ab Bb. Also, since the second and sixth degrees in a minor key aren't quite as consonant (D and Ab), the C minor pentatonic scale, comprised of the notes C Eb F G Bb, would work well. If you're working in a minor key, the seventh degree will often be raised and you'll have a B natural as your leading tone. If you play the B into the C it'll sound well resolved because of the semitonal movement; again, though, it's largely contextual.

It's a lot of information and you don't need to digest it all at once, but it's a general overview. Any other questions are welcome.

you guys are awesome!!

not nearly as gay as those other threads... i remember like a year and a half ago i posted if i should buy the line 6 spider 3 stack and i got it shoved down my throat

thanks alot!

ile be sure to give you guys credit on our myspace after this is written =]
SUBSCRIBE!

peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Behringer FB1010
Quote by COBHC728
In the order he gave them, it looked like C Aeolian. Hearing the notes in that order sounds like minor.

I know, but the order he gave them isn't necessarily the order in which they're played, no big deal.
they flame at the fact that its cheap and electronic, because it breaks up at high volumes, which it does. But i didnt have the stack, and im sure the stack can hold its weight more then my 75 watt
SUBSCRIBE!

peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Behringer FB1010
Quote by ilovemySG
you guys are awesome!!

not nearly as gay as those other threads... i remember like a year and a half ago i posted if i should buy the line 6 spider 3 stack and i got it shoved down my throat

thanks alot!

ile be sure to give you guys credit on our myspace after this is written =]

Don't worry, it's a lot of information and theory learning is fairly slow-going, so any other questions you have, feel free to ask.