My current problem with my recording setup is that I have no mic so I can't use my amp to get tones; I'm relying on modeling software.

If I were to buy an SM57 and an XLR to 1/4" lead would that work to record with, bearing in mind that I have an interface that takes a 1/4" input? Or do I have to have something that has phantom power to use a mic like the SM57?

I realize I'm not going to get enormously good results with the gear I have but I figure if I get my hands on a decent mic now I can upgrade my interface/software etc later but just how feasible is this bearing in mind that there's no way I'm going to be able to afford a decent interface and a mic at the same time and I don't really want to have time when I have half of the gear I need sitting around waiting for the rest.

Would I be better off buying something like a Samson CO1U and waiting until I can afford some much better gear?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
The 57 doesn't need phantom power, you can use the 1/4" input with it.

Personally, I'd put the emphasis on a nice interface.

If you plug a 57 and a cheap imitation of it, or even a crappy kareoke mike, into a stock computer soundcard, they'll both sound much the same.

The differences in quality only begin to emerge once you're running them through a nice set of preamps.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
The 57 doesn't need phantom power, you can use the 1/4" input with it.

Personally, I'd put the emphasis on a nice interface.

If you plug a 57 and a cheap imitation of it, or even a crappy kareoke mike, into a stock computer soundcard, they'll both sound much the same.

The differences in quality only begin to emerge once you're running them through a nice set of preamps.

Like I said; I figure if I shell out for a decent mic now and get a good interface later when I have more money for this kind of thing I'll see better results for my money in total as it were. Anyway, any tone from my amp is bound to be better than the line6 toneport stuff I have to deal with at the moment.

Thanks for the info
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.