Now, I'm in a psychadelic metal band ... And my bassist needs a new amp (he's got one of those fender rumbles right now ) so I'm helping him look round for one... something preety loud that can cut through 2 guitars and a drummer, and has a lot of low end and good thick mids.... I think he's looking for a john entwistle/lemmy-ish tone...

He's currently looking at the Ampeg BA-115s, are those any good (he can't spend too much money so he's trying to keep it as low as possible)

Any recommendations?
not those. they are terrible amps. they are underpowered, to easy to get too much mud, too hard to get any punch.
and you want at least 200 watts, and you'll probably be feeling more comfy with more like 300.

see Ashdown and Acoustic. both nice companies.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
i would go with Carvin personally, they have a great sound and lots of power for low cost.
Quote by thefitz
Interesting. It turns out that there are people on the forum who play an upright bass. I'll make a note of that.

*makes note*

*puts note on wall*

*stares at note for a minute*

*sits back down and resumes doing what I was doing*
no acoustic or ashdown dealers around... and he won't get carvin becuase you have to order one and can't try em out...
shiit i wish my friends were down to start a psychedelic metal band.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Gallien-Kreuger used? that would really be your best bet, a 1001 rb runs for anywhere from 250-500 used and u can go with an Avatar 410
Quote by thefitz
Interesting. It turns out that there are people on the forum who play an upright bass. I'll make a note of that.

*makes note*

*puts note on wall*

*stares at note for a minute*

*sits back down and resumes doing what I was doing*
Quote by Highwaytohell
no use gang... he's set on this amp... i guess i'll have to get him an eq pedal

Tell him he's an idiot.

Just out of curiosity, what bass is he gonna use with it?
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
tell him every time he plugs into that amp, he kills a fairy.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

He's running both a Geddy Lee Jazz bass, and on occasion a custom made V bass with really nice pups... He claims he likes the tone he gets out of it and refuses to listen to me, and says all of the other people who don't like it are "Not HIM" so they wouldn't understand his tone. It's a damn shame we don't have people who deal REAL amps round here.
If he likes it, he might as well get it. Just the Ampeg isn't powerful enough (in my experience), ad the tone is a bit muddy in my opinion, but horses for courses I suppose.
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
220 watts sounds loud enough to me... but what do I know I'm a guitar player! and Bass requires more wattage to amplify the low frequencies if i'm not mistaken
exactly. tell him he needs more volume, and even he will think it sucks when he blows it out.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by Highwaytohell
if only i could just make him save for an SVT
...then you'd have persuaded him to buy something expensive, inconveniently heavy and inflexible?
Quote by Highwaytohell
He THINKS it gets enough volume...

Yeah it probably gets enough vloume for trying it out in a shop, but as soon as you're playing with 2 guitarists and a drummer it won't be. Especially if you're gonna be playing live.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
I was thinking of convincing him into getting an Ashdown MAG 300... 307 watts RMS and those things appear to have a good rap... If only there were some ashdown dealers around here!
Quote by smb
...then you'd have persuaded him to buy something expensive, inconveniently heavy and inflexible?

But, but I loves my SVT

the inflexibility depends entirely on which SVT head it is and what cab you run it through. Also you can find a lot of Ampeg gear for relatively reasonable prices on the used market (I would suggest Craigslist in particular). I will however make no arguement as to their inconvenient design or their weight. Most Ampeg **** is heavy as **** and very large (making it especially hard to maneuver). Luckily this has yet to be a problem for me, as I too am large as ****. If you think that you will not be able to haul it to gigs then I would suggest against buying it.
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Funky Muthafucka Of The Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 To Join.
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by Caustic
Beast Within, you're awesome.
an svt wouldn't be bad for psychedelic, I think. however, it is rather expensive. at least convince him to get a higher wattage version of the line 6.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
shiit i wish my friends were down to start a psychedelic metal band.

What the hell is a psychedelic metal band anyway, it sounds pretty cool. Damn metal and it's many subgenres.

To the TC, warwick amps might suit your bassist, they tend to have huge speakers for lots of bass oomph.
Dunno how practical it would be for breaking through the drums/guitars, but a sweet 25 combo sounds like a good choice in your price range.
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.