Hey everyone,

Im looking to get a new amp hopefully in the next couple months. I want one that I can use at gigs and stuff and has good sound. I play a lot of classic rock, I like clean sound but I would also like the flexibility to make the sound dirty if I want. I would probably get it from Guitar Center. My price range is less than $600, probably around $400-500 but if there something better for cheaper thats good too.

I already have a few that Im thinking about:

Fender Frontman 212R 100W
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Frontman-212R-100W-2x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp-104506076-i1323510.gc

Marshall Half-stack 100W
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Marshall-MG100HDFX-MG412-Half-Stack-with-Digital-Effects-482805-i1145907.gc

Maybe a Vox amp? Dont know if either of the below are good.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Vox-Custom-Classic-V212BN-60w-2x12-Guitar-Extension-Cabinet-609500-i1153341.gc
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Vox-Valvetronix-AD100VT-100w-2x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp-103313557-i1145852.gc

If you have any questions on what I play or what Im looking for or anything to better determine which would be best ask me. I also want something that would allow me to create a unique sound too if I wanted to create my own sound.

So.... whats the verdict? Any of the above or something else?

Thanks,

Aaron
lol, the first Vox amp is just a cab, you need a head for that. You should probably say what music you play, its quite important. The Vox amp you're looking at is good, but for the money you could a decent valve amp. Are you willing to buy secondhand?
I'm gonna have to advise you to get the Crate Palamino V32 or Peavey Classic 30.

If you're more interested in a modeling amp, stick with the Vox AD50VT.

Just don't get the MG or the Frontman. I have experience with both.
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
Quote by Haha, head
I'm gonna have to advise you to get the Crate Palamino V32 or Peavey Classic 30.

If you're more interested in a ing amp, stick with the Vox AD50VT.

Just don't get the MG or the Frontman. I have experience with both.

What do you not like about the MG or Frontman?

Quote by minibrowny
lol, the first Vox amp is just a cab, you need a head for that. You should probably say what music you play, its quite important. The Vox amp you're looking at is good, but for the money you could a decent valve amp. Are you willing to buy secondhand?

Lol. Ok good thing I asked you all because I dont know anything about amps like the difference between cabs, stacks, heads, etc.

I play classic rock. My favorite bands are listed in my profile if you want to check that out. But I want an amp thats good for a variety of things and I can create my own unique sound with it if I want.

Id rather not buy second-hand.

Quote by beadhangingOne
Out of the ones you posted, the Valvetronix. Do you gig though?

No, but I jam with my friends. My friends acoustic drum set over powers my little practice amp, lol. So I need something bigger and I want to get something that when I do start playing gigs in the future I can still use the same one.
Quote by aaronob
What do you not like about the MG or Frontman?

The MG and Frontman are good practice amps, but the problem is that the larger models are just big practice amps, yet they aren't made well enough to sound good at high volume. They're solid state amps, and for the money you could get a decent valve as I said, I'm not saying that all SS amps are bad but these amps are bad examples and are known for bad tone and reliability.
Quote by minibrowny
The MG and Frontman are good practice amps, but the problem is that the larger s are just big practice amps, yet they aren't made well enough to sound good at high volume. They're solid state amps, and for the money you could get a decent valve as I said, I'm not saying that all SS amps are bad but these amps are bad examples and are known for bad tone and reliability.

Whats a valve amp? Is it just another word for tube amp or different?
Quote by beadhangingOne
yea it's just a tube amp.

Oh.... yeah.... dont know if I want a tube amp. Costs a lot to replace the tubes and I dont think there are any good ones in my price range.
I see the MG/Frontman question was answered. But, I'll elaborate. They both sound very fizzy...kinda like bees in a box. They just aren't good amps.

Quote by aaronob
Oh.... yeah.... dont know if I want a tube amp. Costs a lot to replace the tubes and I dont think there are any good ones in my price range.

You don't have to replace the tubes very often. And, believe me, it's worth it.

I listed two tube amps that are close to your price range and perfect for what you need.

And, yes, they are definitely loud enough.
Click for charity.

PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
Quote by aaronob

Tubes don't need to be changed every month or so man, they should last a while.

Are you open with buying used?
You change your tubes in a year or 2. Depending how much you put em to work.
Quote by Haha, head
I see the MG/Frontman question was answered. But, I'll elaborate. They both sound very fizzy...kinda like bees in a box. They just aren't good amps.

Really? Didnt know that. Any one Ive ever talked to has said theyre good amps. Just to clear things up, your not being particular are you? Because Im not needing a fantastic amp as my first one, just one that will work for jamming and maybe some gigs. Just wanted to clear things up.

You don't have to replace the tubes very often. And, believe me, it's worth it.

I listed two tube amps that are close to your price range and perfect for what you need.

And, yes, they are definitely loud enough.

I couldnt find the Crate one on Guitar center site. The Peavey one I did however so Ill take that one into consideration. How much would it cost to get the tubes for the Peavey replaced and how long do you think theyll last?

Quote by sum_ugly_man
Tubes don't need to be changed every month or so man, they should last a while.

Are you open with buying used?

Rather not buy used.... Im just not big on buying used things. I guess it could be a possibility though. But if I got a tube amp used it could be really dumb if the tubes are almost and die on me after owning it for a week.
Last edited by aaronob at Aug 8, 2008,
Quote by esp1234
The crate's your looking for a discontinued btw

Oh ok. So I guess if I were to get it Id have to get it used then.
Quote by aaronob
Really? Didnt know that. Any one Ive ever talked to has said theyre good amps. Just to clear things up, your not being particular are you? Because Im not needing a fantastic amp as my first one, just one that will work for jamming and maybe some gigs. Just wanted to clear things up.

Trust me. They're horrible, especially for the price. They really do sound fizzy. Especially with distortion.

I couldnt find the Crate one on Guitar center site. The Peavey one I did however so Ill take that one into consideration. How much would it cost to get the tubes for the Peavey replaced and how long do you think theyll last?

Aw, man. They did discontinue those. They were awesome amps.

The Classic's really sweet, too, though. So, that's a good choice.

Umm, anywhere from $50-100 for quality tubes(or more if you decide on super ultra expensive ones). But, they should last you a good 2 years if you take care of them.
Click for charity.

PM Calebrocker to join.

Quote by Haha, head
Trust me. They're horrible, especially for the price. They really do sound fizzy. Especially with distortion.

Aw, man. They did discontinue those. They were awesome amps.

The Classic's really sweet, too, though. So, that's a good choice.

Umm, anywhere from $50-100 for quality tubes(or more if you decide on super ultra expensive ones). But, they should last you a good 2 years if you take care of them.

Oh hey! Thats not too bad! Ive heard to get them replaced its like a few hundred dollars. The thing Im worried about though is its only 30W which is kinda low, isnt it? My practice amp is 15W.

Wait... we seemed to skip over the second Vox amp I posted..... is it any good?
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Vox-Valvetronix-AD100VT-100w-2x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp-103313557-i1145852.gc
^
oh trust me. 30 watt tube power is PLENTY. and tube amps are generally louder than SS amps
Quote by esp1234
^
oh trust me. 30 watt tube power is PLENTY. and tube amps are generally louder than SS amps

Yeah, the Peavey is starting to sound good now. Been reading some reviews. But I noticed on Guitar Center's website there are some other Peavey tube amps for cheaper..... are they not as good?
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey,Guitar-Amplifiers-Guitar-Amplifiers-and-Effects,Page-2.gc?o=1&ipp=15

Still want to know about the second Vox amp I posted though, just to see what my options.
Tube amps are crazy loud, there's a chart listed on here but I'm too lazy to look it up.

Go for the classic 30, perfect amp for you.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
I wouldn't recommend any of the amps you have in mind. a half stack is just silly in my opinion!

The Fender Blues Jr. is what you want. SUPER clean and it get's dirty as hell when cranked. It's wonderful.
Quote by brandonroy
I wouldn't recommend any of the amps you have in mind. a half stack is just silly in my opinion!

The Fender Blues Jr. is what you want. SUPER clean and it get's dirty as hell when ed. It's wonderful.

Yeah.... sounds good except that its only 15W and I can get the Peavey which is 30W for pretty much the same price. Wish it was bigger though; that does sound like a good one.
Tube amps tend to sound better at higher volumes than solid state amps. When a tube amp clips, it sounds good, when a solid state amp clips, it sounds farty.

30 watts should be plenty enough. Its actually the most ideal size for most players, more than loud enough to gig with, yet, if you have a big room that is well insulated, you can dime it in the house.

My JTM45 made it to 10 tonight, my ears are still ringing but damn did it sound good. NOTHING sounds like a fat set of KT66s.
Ok. So no one else has any other suggestions? So the verdict is either the Peavey Classic or the second Vox amp I posted, right? Ok. Now hopefully Ill make enough money in the next couple months but if worse comes to worse Ill have to wait till Xmas... but probably before then.
Hey... just thought Id update you all....

Bought a car so I have barely any money..... so due to low financing the Vox (http://www.guitarcenter.com/Vox-Valvetronix-AD50VT-50w-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp-102806882-i1145847.gc) is really looking good and I think Im going to get that one if anything...