Poll: Do you agree with me?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you agree with me?
Yes.
95 41%
No.
12 5%
I Don't Care.
44 19%
Go die, emofag.
66 29%
Yes, but you could change something (please specify)
14 6%
Voters: 231.
Page 1 of 5
Long read ahead, be prepared:

Am I the only one who gets pissed off from society's ignorance toward music? I mean, take the whole emo thing for example (yes, I know it's an over beaten dead horse, but it still fits the point).

People...don't understand.

Emo is a type of music that evolved in the 80's and 90's; it branched out from the punk movements. "Emo" is short for emotive, which means "pertaining to emotion" (this can be interchanged which emotional), but today's youth (and even some young adults) believe that "emo music" is anything that is not upbeat, happy, poppy, etc. etc. The usual stereotypical emo song consists of one or more of the following phrases:
  • "Kill me, please."
  • "No one will ever love me."
  • "Life is useless, just end it for me."
  • "I'm going to hide from people and cut my wrists."
  • "(Anything similar to the above, dealing with forlornness and depression)."

In actuality, however, this is not the case. Yes, there are songs that have the above elements (Ohio is for Lovers -Hawthorne Heights, for example: "So cut my wrists and black my eyes so I can fall asleep tonight."), but not every non-pop punk song has them.

Let me use an anecdote to help you understand my point. Last night my sister was on the phone with her boyfriend and they were talking about music. My sister has a taste in music that differs greatly from the normal teenage girl. The majority of teenage girls' iPod's will be filled with Fergie, Gwen Stefani, 50 Cent, Akon, Jonas Brothers (*shudder*) amongst other Hip-Hop, Pop, Pop-Punk, and Rap artists usually found on mainstream radio today. Now, my sister's music library has lesser known artists, such as Owl City, A Rocket to the Moon, Shiny Toy Guns, The Action Design, and The Birthday Massacre. Her boyfriend was saying those bands were "emo and goth". I practically **** my pants when I heard that. NONE of the above mentioned bands are any of those. What I'm saying is that society's vision is skewed and distorted.

Let me use another anecdote. My taste in music is even more obscure from my sister's (most of you UGers can relate with me here). I listen to artists such as Cradle of Filth, Cannibal Corpse, Protest the Hero, Chiodos, As I Lay Dying, Hawthorne Heights, and more (too many to name). When my friends look through my music library and see all these bands, they're like, "What the hell is this, DereK? What's with all the emo ****?" I immediately facepalm and have to explain to them the whole history of music, from rock to emo to metal and try to have them understand.

When word of this music tends to spread to people outside my friend circle, I get called emo. For example, a few months ago in English class, someone said something about being emo meaning ostracizing one's self from society. I interjected, saying that that was completely false. Classroom debate ensued, being an upwards of twenty on one (the teacher was included on the "enemy's" side, go figure...). Bell rings and we leave. End of story.

Transitioning from music to fashion...I have an different fashion sense than the people in my town/area (hair dye, sideways studded belts [something I believe I developed on my own], a gauged ear [the earring thing is bad enough in my area and that tends to lead to anti-gay feelings toward me...], lots of obscure bands t-shirts [usually tight and fitted, showing Sky Eats Airplane, Placebo, and Alesana {those three being my most often worn ones}], and tight[er] jeans). You have no idea how much **** I get for that. The color black, BLACK, the most commonly used color is usually frowned upon if it is the only color on a certain article of clothing (solid black shirts for example). Hell, even the skulls on my backpack get me ****. HOT. TOPIC. Those two words cause so much panic in the average teens' ears. It's said that anyone who goes there is either a) a fag, b) emo/goth, or a combination of them.

Going back to music, screaming is a huge hate in the mainstream world. Sure, you'll hear it every now and then on the radio (Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, Killswitch Engage), but when I'm "caught" listening to a band such as Arch Enemy or Dimmu Borgir, flaming follows. "Screaming is for little emo faggots who cut their wrists." I get angry even thinking about it. Screaming is a skill. Metal is filled with skills and talent. It's understandable if one doesn't like the screaming, but he or she doesn't have to flame the artist. Listen past the vocals, listen to the guitar, bass, keyboard, drums. Listen to how intricate they are and try to think about how much talent and time went into developing the sounds and the amount of lyricism, even. Cannibal Corpse's Corpsegrinder is actually a beautiful writer and poet when you get down to it (Ok, beautiful may not be the correct word, but do you get the point I'm trying to make?). The intricacy and depth of his lyrics are just amazing.

Lyrics are a huge part of every song, especially when they mean something. *flame shield* I'm sure some mainstream artists have good lyrics, but not all of them are legitimate or true to the artist/lyricist. Unfortunately, not a lot of talent goes into mainstream music most of the time. Rap is a perfect example. It all sounds the same when you get down to it, *fortified flame shield*. It's generally about wealth, bitches, and parties. Literally, the music sounds the same too. It all has the same background "bump bump bump" with a few high pitched "byoop byoop" thrown in. It's all run-of-the-mill and generic. Unknown artists Minus the Bear, Silverstein, Valencia, Red, have much more talent, but are flamed and cast out from people's tastes because of the differences.

The point of the massive rant is that I just wish people would be more open to everything, and try to understand music for what it is, art.

inb4tl;dr
tl;dr

/thread

I'm sorry, but that's the truth
But I'll read it after I post this
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
I skimmed for a couple seconds, saw 'emo' and stopped reading.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
I skimmed for a couple seconds, saw 'emo' and stopped reading.

Now why's that?
i have to deal with that too...in mexico they hit you just because you have long hair...or some hair ends in your face. but oh well...
Quote by Vagabond21
Ewww the searchbar is a slut, it gets used everyday...

Quote by tremeloud

The brain says "hey, lets be friends" and the dick says "hey, lets get those clothes off, eh?"

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Yeaaaaaah, Huuuuuhuuuu, Saaaaaaah and MASTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR are all Hetfield memes.
Quote by Royal Celebi
Now why's that?

Because he didn't want to get depressed and have to cut himself.
Quote by RoO_777
ryt bartley man tld ya this wud wrk haha
they r UGLY
the whole body shape looks outa preportion
im nt complainin bout how they play i jst dnt lyk the shape of them

Quote by broken fusion!
holy **** learn english asshat

Quote by Royal Celebi
Now why's that?

metal > emo... in fact anything > emo.... emos and emo music sucks in general, regardless of whether or not the stereotypes are true... and to answer your question, yes it's wrong and I wish people would be smarter too but **** them
i actually have noticed

that i cant tell you how much it pisses me off when people are like your so emo

but you know its not gonna go away for a while
Quote by Colgate Total
tl; dr

im going to feel noobish ofr asking but what does that mean ive seen it alot today and have no idea what it means so if someone can clarify.
and also TS makes a good point but it is what it is, you really cant change anything unless you become a governer and whine about it
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
Quote by kirkhammett09
metal > emo... in fact anything > emo.... emos and emo music sucks in general, regardless of whether or not the stereotypes are true... and to answer your question, yes it's wrong and I wish people would be smarter too but **** them

Yeah, i know metal > emo. I'm not saying that emo is better than anything or worse than anything, but I'm just saying people need to cut the **** and stop being so ignorant.

Quote by LOL_WUT
i actually have noticed

that i cant tell you how much it pisses me off when people are like your so emo

but you know its not gonna go away for a while

I know it's not going to go away...I just needed to get it out of my system.
Quote by F8iscruel
im going to feel noobish ofr asking but what does that mean ive seen it alot today and have no idea what it means so if someone can clarify.
and also TS makes a good point but it is what it is, you really cant change anything unless you become a governer and whine about it

too long didnt read
Quote by Royal Celebi
Yeah, i know metal > emo. I'm not saying that emo is better than anything or worse than anything, but I'm just saying people need to cut the **** and stop being so ignorant.

I know it's not going to go away...I just needed to get it out of my system.

thats not helping the stereotype!

MC name = Bearrorism
I totally agree. People really need to analyze all the data before they take a jab into something they know nearly nothing about. This goes with nearly everything though, not just music genres/fashion. The bandwagon effect is in play, one person calls it emo, so does everyone else that feels the need to bash something.
Quote by Gargantuan
thats not helping the stereotype!

Hah, whoops. Bad choice of words.

And in reply to your above post, that just kills me. Especially the real good stuff like [early] Metallica (yes, people call them emo)...
Quote by LOL_WUT!
too long didnt read

thank you
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
tl:dr = Too long ; Didn't read

And yeah, completely agree with thread starter because there were some amazin emo bands out there that are being undermined by this MTV buzzword version.

Edit: BTW, chances are that most of you who say how emo is the worst genre probs haven't heard any seeing as it is very similar to other hardcore music subgenres.
And no, hating a genre doesn't make you cool. Let people listen to what they want.

PS: (to TS)
My favourite genres are Post-Rock, Avante-Garde Funk and 3rd wave Ska and I still get called an "emo" by the majority of people. Just ignore it, they're insulting themselves more than you.
Last edited by K-Jack666 at Aug 8, 2008,
i agree... but emo is the worst type of music and so is rap and punk rock
i like normal punk tho
and metal is sooo stereotyped against its just sick
You're absolutely right. One thing I hate is when I'm called emo for wearing a black shirt. ( It was an AC/DC shirt by the way). Also when people think that metal is "screamo".

Example:

*Puts on Children of Bodom*

"Dude I don't understand the point of screamo, all they do is yell"

*facepalm*

*Explains Children of Bodom's finnish metal history*
To me:
Quote by crazy8rgood

In fact, I almost ALWAYS agree with YourDad.

Quote by itchy guitar
One of the best replies ever.

In the same thread

Do you love Arsis?
Ugh! I hate when people say that all rap/hip-hop sound the same.

EDIT: oh yeah, your a hypocrite.

Quote by Royal Celebi
Long read ahead, be prepared:

Am I the only one who gets pissed off from society's ignorance toward music? I mean, take the whole emo thing for example (yes, I know it's an over beaten dead horse, but it still fits the point).

People...don't understand.

(Giant Wall of Text)

Lyrics are a huge part of every song, especially when they mean something. *flame shield* I'm sure some mainstream artists have good lyrics, but not all of them are legitimate or true to the artist/lyricist. Unfortunately, not a lot of talent goes into mainstream music most of the time. Rap is a perfect example. It all sounds the same when you get down to it, *fortified flame shield*. It's generally about wealth, bitches, and parties. Literally, the music sounds the same too. It all has the same background "bump bump bump" with a few high pitched "byoop byoop" thrown in. It's all run-of-the-mill and generic. Unknown artists Minus the Bear, Silverstein, Valencia, Red, have much more talent, but are flamed and cast out from people's tastes because of the differences.

The point of the massive rant is that I just wish people would be more open to everything, and try to understand music for what it is, art.
wham, bam, thank you ma'am!
Last edited by DunnySun at Aug 8, 2008,
People are dickheads...
... Burn them

/thread
Quote by sg255
This fine fellow speaks the truth.

Quote by GD_GC
dude sonic music??? you're my hero!

Quote by tanglewoodguit
Love you

Quote by Jackolas
Quote by Chris.Rock.Art
ur right but the mainstream industrie exploits people's ignorance. They can make believe almost anything to people that dont know much about the real meaning of a song. It's more about selling a product than selling music. They take advantage of people's ignorance and that was a smart move for them.

i thought the media exploits peoples ignorance, and music was thusly affected when ignorant people misinterpret it post the wrong genre of a band online and like wildfire and band is mislabeled and cant recover form it
Quote by haha

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
Quote by Royal Celebi

Transitioning from music to fashion...I have an different fashion sense than the people in my town/area (hair dye, sideways studded belts [something I believe I developed on my own], a gauged ear [the earring thing is bad enough in my area and that tends to lead to anti-gay feelings toward me...], lots of obscure bands t-shirts [usually tight and fitted, showing Sky Eats Airplane, Placebo, and Alesana {those three being my most often worn ones}], and tight[er] jeans). You have no idea how much **** I get for that. The color black, BLACK, the most commonly used color is usually frowned upon if it is the only color on a certain article of clothing (solid black shirts for example). Hell, even the skulls on my backpack get me ****. HOT. TOPIC. Those two words cause so much panic in the average teens' ears. It's said that anyone who goes there is either a) a fag, b) emo/goth, or a combination of them.

The bolded words are probably the reason you're being called these things. Tight shirts fail hard (with men) unless you have muscles. They make you look like some scene kid from MTV. Tight jeans, are a double-edged sword. I would wear tight jeans (not ball-chafing, mind you) in a concert, but down the hall at school , well, MTV scene kid.

When you say black, it sounds as if it's the only thing you wear. There's millions of other colours bro, try some out

And Hot Topic is regarded as such because most shoppers there (and most products) are for faggy scene kids.

And skulls on your backpack sounds kind of stupid to me, imo.
i read it.
i agree completely.
but then again i do take a lot of flaming, too, so i can relate.
(im stereotyping you now) by the way you dress, you would get flamed forever at my school.
but i wear 80s metal/rock tees (regular fit/slightly small) long curly hair, and semi-tight jeans (black, and "regular")
and i get flamed a lot.
dont know why...
and a lot of people ask me if i skate, too and when i say no, they call me a poser.
how does how i dress make me a skater poser?
i guess i must dress like the skaters lol
and when people actually talk to me about music, i listen to EVERYTHING (except country, rap, pop or mainstream ****)
sometimes i get flamed, other times i am completely godly to them.
just depends on the people you talk to...
Or all the people you know happen to be dicks? Just throwing that out there.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Man yeah, the whole metal = screamo thing really annoys me...even people with what I would consider decent music taste do that
Up The Boro!
I try not to stereotype entire genres because I usually end up liking at least one band from it, for example I would consider alot of At the Drive-In's stuff Emo/Hardcore, and I love it. same goes with Metal which although I'm not very fond of, I often find myself listening to Samael or Old Cannibal Corpse. Hating an entire genre is stupid, but hating certain bands...is something I will wholehardedly support.
Rag Mop Do Do Duh DoDo Dedo Do!!!!!

R_A_G_G_M_O_P_P

RAGMOP
Quote by Austyn6661
The bolded words are probably the reason you're being called these things. Tight shirts fail hard (with men) unless you have muscles. They make you look like some scene kid from MTV. Tight jeans, are a double-edged sword. I would wear tight jeans (not ball-chafing, mind you) in a concert, but down the hall at school , well, MTV scene kid.

When you say black, it sounds as if it's the only thing you wear. There's millions of other colours bro, try some out

And Hot Topic is regarded as such because most shoppers there (and most products) are for faggy scene kids.

And skulls on your backpack sounds kind of stupid to me, imo.

I do wear other colors, in fact, I look damn good in orange. And my pants aren't ball-chafing. And I do have muscles btw, which I why I wear tight shirts.

Quote by guitarsolo_17
so why do only people who care about 'emo' music care about stereotyping?

It just seems that way because it gets a lot of ****.

And to all who think I'm stereotyping rap as being sh*t, I'm sorry for being vague. Most of the mainstream stuff is what sounds generic

Quote by Red33
I try not to stereotype entire genres because I usually end up liking at least one band from it, for example I would consider alot of At the Drive-In's stuff Emo/Hardcore, and I love it. same goes with Metal which although I'm not very fond of, I often find myself listening to Samael or Old Cannibal Corpse. Hating an entire genre is stupid, but hating certain bands...is something I will wholehardedly support.

That's what I'm supporting. If you don't like a genre, just ignore it. Don't have the entire world hate on it....
Last edited by Royal Celebi at Aug 8, 2008,
Quote by Royal Celebi
I listen to artists such as Cradle of Filth, Cannibal Corpse, Protest the Hero, Chiodos, As I Lay Dying, Hawthorne Heights, and more (too many to name).

I was reading until I got to this part.

There is NOTHING obscure about any of those artists. They're a bunch of huge bands that everybody has heard of/listens to.

And, quite frankly, I just don't agree with you.

The term "emo" has a new meaning as of a few years ago, and that's all there is to it.
Sure, bands like Cannibal Corpse and Cradle of Filth aren't even remotely emo. But, the music industry is clouded by ignorance, nowadays. So, get used to it.
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
Quote by Mary Just
Does Anyone Else Here Hate All Popular Culture?!?!?

Just the impression it puts out.
To me:
Quote by crazy8rgood

In fact, I almost ALWAYS agree with YourDad.

Quote by itchy guitar
One of the best replies ever.

In the same thread

Do you love Arsis?
Quote by Haha, Crackhead
I was reading until I got to this part.

There is NOTHING obscure about any of those artists. They're a bunch of huge bands that everybody has heard of/listens to.

And, quite frankly, I just don't agree with you.

The term "emo" has a new meaning as of a few years ago, and that's all there is to it.
Sure, bands like Cannibal Corpse and Cradle of Filth aren't even remotely emo. But, the music industry is clouded by ignorance, nowadays. So, get used to it.

Sorry, I was a bit vague at that first part. They're obscure to my friends.

And the music industry has kinda failed in the past few years IMO...
Page 1 of 5