Hi all,

I was thinking of buying a new computer, and I saw this deal... just wondering what you guys think (I don't know much about computer hardware)?

Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q9300
4GB DDR2 SDRAM @ 800 MHz
640 SATA II Hard Drive (2x320)
22" Widescreen Flat Panel Display
512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT
Dual 16x DVD Burner

Windows Vista Home Premium, Adobe Photoshop Elements 6, Adobe Premierre Elements 4, Adobe Soundbooth CS3

All for $CAN 1399.

Is this a decent deal? I would like to be able to play some games, and will use this computer for college work. Feedback is appreciated! Thanks!
Originally posted by Camakazie:

On my gravestone i want jesus and satan fighting with lightsabers. Or a big hand pointing to the grave next to me saying "I'm with stupid"

Superman of the UG heroes and villans club, P.M. josh999x to join
Before you do, ask yourself: Do I even need any of that or just some machine I can check my emails on, use ms word and play games I don't even want to play?
If the latter, don't buy it. But for the quality of what you're getting, I'd still say don't buy it. I think you could build a decent machine for half the price
Quote by untalented
Before you do, ask yourself: Do I even need any of that or just some machine I can check my emails on, use ms word and play games I don't even want to play?
If the latter, don't buy it. But for the quality of what you're getting, I'd still say don't buy it. I think you could build a decent machine for half the price

The thing is that I have no idea how to setup a computer myself, so buying separate parts and assembling them is out of the question. Are you saying that this computer would not be able to play newer games? Because that is kinda important for a new computer to me.

On my gravestone i want jesus and satan fighting with lightsabers. Or a big hand pointing to the grave next to me saying "I'm with stupid"

it would be able to play any new game fine... But it is a LOT of money and unless you're rich, I suggest you learn how to "cut and paste" to save money and build what you really need. A hybrid computer with parts that are essential that are pretty good and parts not essential that will suffice.
My dad figured that he would buy us a new one; the current one we're using is ridiculously bad, and we want a computer that won't be out-dated in a month. So money is not an issue.

One final question, will I be able to easily upgrade my RAM in the future? I've heard that RAM requirements for some programs might increase in the future.

Thanks!

Dude, right now 2 GB RAM is the maximum you should need.
Quad cores are almost the best out there.
Theres a ton of HDD space.
The video card is really nice.
The monitor is huge.
It's a great deal.
Alright, thanks for the advice, everyone. I'm gonna get a new computer.

-kurush

AMD release free BIOSes, so i'd favour them over Intel if i were you...

all else is well and good...
except you'll need to throw Windows out of your computer...
Quote by heminder
AMD release free BIOSes, so i'd favour them over Intel if i were you...

all else is well and good...
except you'll need to throw Windows out of your computer...

He doesn't know anything about computers, I don't think he'll care about the BIOS.
I haven't heard great things about AMD either. Unrelated, do they make quad cores?
Also, Vista will run like a beast on that thing. It's not as bad as everyone makes it out to be
Quote by RPGoof
He doesn't know anything about computers, I don't think he'll care about the BIOS.
I haven't heard great things about AMD either. Unrelated, do they make quad cores?
Also, Vista will run like a beast on that thing. It's not as bad as everyone makes it out to be

are you kidding... ?
all versions are pretty dire...
Vista's the worst...
(and it's not solely because of stability)
Last edited by heminder at Aug 8, 2008,
Quote by heminder
are you kidding... ?
all versions are pretty dire...
Vista's the worst...

I don't see anything wrong with it. My scanner doesn't work with it and I get the occasional blue screen, but nothing too bad. The printer/scanner is pretty old and the software just isn't compatible with Vista. Printer works, somehow lol. Blue screens aren't frequent enough to annoy me, though I must admit, they are more frequent than my old computer that ran XP. My new computer is highly customized, so it could be just hardware malfunctions, who knows. My system is decent enough to run Vista without lag too.
I like Vista XD
Quote by RPGoof
I don't see anything wrong with it. My scanner doesn't work with it and I get the occasional blue screen, but nothing too bad. The printer/scanner is pretty old and the software just isn't compatible with Vista. Printer works, somehow lol. Blue screens aren't frequent enough to annoy me, though I must admit, they are more frequent than my old computer that ran XP. My new computer is highly customized, so it could be just hardware malfunctions, who knows. My system is decent enough to run Vista without lag too.
I like Vista XD

http://badvista.fsf.org/what-s-wrong-with-microsoft-windows-vista

i'm using Fedora, and it's pure bliss...
anyway, this is off topic...

the kid needs a pimped pc...
Quote by kurush
The thing is that I have no idea how to setup a computer myself, so buying separate parts and assembling them is out of the question. Are you saying that this computer would not be able to play newer games? Because that is kinda important for a new computer to me.

It's a total ripoff. A computer only like 8 parts, including the case, it's not that hard. Even without building it, you can find a better deal.

Quote by heminder
http://badvista.fsf.org/what-s-wrong-with-microsoft-windows-vista

i'm using Fedora, and it's pure bliss...
anyway, this is off topic...

the kid needs a pimped pc...

I doubt he wants to change the source code anyways.... And no, you can install anything on your PC that is an EXE. Fail. I can find things wrong with Linux too, but I can't be bothered. I don't care what OS you want to run.

Quote by kurush
One final question, will I be able to easily upgrade my RAM in the future? I've heard that RAM requirements for some programs might increase in the future.

Here is how you do it:

1. Turn off PC
2. Open case
3. Insert RAM into slot
4. Close case
5. Turn on PC
Last edited by Masonpwiley at Aug 8, 2008,
in uk £, double if necessary for $:
Case: £15
Memory: £20-25 - 2gb
320 gb HDD - £35
CPU (Intel Quad 6600 if you even need that) - ~£100
Geforce 8800 - £120
Motherboard - ~£50
Things you evidently already have: keyboard, mouse, monitor, (sound card/speakers probably), cd drives, the internet (download free OS or use your current one)
That amounts to ~$700 for a very decent system that you don't even need. I would say you could build a decent one that would last a good few years for $600