Tomorrow is my birthday and I'm taking a trip to a local GC. My price range is about 300-500 dollars. I have some guitars in mind but would like some suggestions on some others to try out. I like to play Pantera, and Progressive metal such as Opeth, and some blues as well. So I would want something that would sound aggressive and heavy when distorted but still have a beautiful tone when played clean.
We sailed through endless skies...

Quote by King Twili

if someone sigs this i will be fairly displeased.

Lady Gaga has a penis! >>EVIDENCE<<

i¯i▀▀▀i¯i‾°δ‾‾Pך]█████████████████████████
ESP Ltd
Jackson
Schecter
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
ESP Ltd
Jackson
Schecter

+1. If you like anything Gibson, go straight to Epiphone. Gibson is a waste of money. Don't buy Epiphone though. You can find something better.
Tempus Edux Rerum Sic Transit Gloria Mundi

Check out my band, Prosper! Prog/Metal/Core from Columbus, Ohio.
^ what he said

also you could get a pretty nice Ibanez

happy birthday btw
Between the velvet lies, there's a truth as hard as steel.
The vision never dies, life's a neverending wheel.
Ibanez aren't bad either. If you find something you like, look for a used guitar. You can get them for alot cheaper, and GC's don't normally sell guitars in bad shape. You won't even know it was used.

i think jackson has the best clean tone out of most metal guitars, u cud try charvel but idk if its good enough for metal. You could always get a les paul with one EMG and one vintage or whatever gibson pickup(a stock one or if u want to buy another whatever), or you could do that with an ESP, and put a fender single coil in the neck, and have an EMG in the bridge(wich usually comes stock with ESPs)
There's nothing wrong with Epiphone guitars. ESP LTD guitars are good too, but Guitar Center doesn't carry them. Jacksons are good. Since you like Pantera maybe try a Dean.
+1 to the Dean. I play a Dean Razorback V with the Duncan Dimebucker, and I love it. It's out of your price range, but it's somewhere to look.

I play a Jackson Dxmg which is $450 online. Good pickups that aren't *designed by* they ARE actual EMGs. Ibanez's are cool too so compare the Jackson and Ibanez in the same price range. Maybe for a little bit more you can get a Dkmg which has EMG 81 and 85 pickups for extra gain and power but since you are on a budget, I would get the Dxmg because you save $250 but it can always be upgraded later. Just see what you like.
my gear:

- Jackson DXMG with EMG 81 and 85
- Ibanez RG5EX1 (saved $320 hehe)
- Line 6 Spider III 120 watt amp
- Marshall 60 watt
- ion guitar
- crappy ion amp
- lyon distortion pedal
- ion vocal amp
(last 4 are my old gear)