Page 1 of 2
Because it's a cheaper model.
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
Because it's a low end Gibson. Lower quality than the other stuff they make. You're probably paying more for the letters on the headstock than the quality they put into that guitar anyways.
"My jedi powers are far more superior than yours"
thats pretty much an epiphone standard les paul, which cost 400 dollars cheaper, the pups are different but thats about it cept for the headstock
Now do you believe in rock and roll?

Can music save your mortal soul?
Binding and paint jobs costs money and there's none on that guitar.

Just good wood and good hardware.
Well, it's a thinner finish than most (it's only like 3/4 coats) and it's got no binding or fancy inlays. Therefore it's cheaper.
EDIT: It also doesn't have any pretty maple top.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Aug 8, 2008,
I tried this guitar out and it was pretty nice.

The brown model looks sexy as hell too.

I would never buy it though...
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

Like others said. paint job, etc etc. Just made cheaper.

Musicians friend is also having a 25th anniversary "sale" at the moment

(Invalid img)
Quote by brandonroy
Like others said. paint job, etc etc. Just made cheaper.

Musicians friend is also having a 25th anniversary "sale" at the moment

just like guitar center's forty forth ( ) anniversary "sale"
Simply because, there's nothing to it, the name is what you're paying for, an epiphone ultra would be better.
What I want in my rig (Bold = gear I have):
Ibanez SZ-520QM
Vintage VECJ100BK
Epiphone Dot
Laney VC15
Boss GE7
Boss SD1
Zoom G2
Does anybody know whats in a Les Paul(Hardware) that makes them so expen$ ive? Gold? I know there collectors items and what not, but its like people are saying, this is a low end Les Paul, its not going to hold its value for **** anyways, so...
Quote by xIckyThumpx
thats pretty much an epiphone standard les paul, which cost 400 dollars cheaper, the pups are different but thats about it cept for the headstock

Um, no - it's not. It has nothing in common with an Epiphone. Don't ever listen to misinformed advice like this.

The Gibson Studio Les Paul is a fantastic guitar that kills any Epiphone in quality, tone, and playability. I don't care how many of you Epiphone fanboys jump in here, it's true.
Quote by music_is_god
Does anybody know whats in a Les Paul(Hardware) that makes them so expen$ ive? Gold? I know there collectors items and what not, but its like people are saying, this is a low end Les Paul, its not going to hold its value for **** anyways, so...

I think only a few limited model have hardware of real gold. I have no idea it give better sound or not...
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Quote by music_is_god

Gibson guitars are hand made in the USA with generally very good quality woods, and that's what makes them more expensive than Epiphones and many other guitars. Most Epiphones are currently made in China. Yes, USA-made matters. A lot.
Like a few other people here said, it's just stripped down. No fancy finish, no maple top. Just a solid chunk of mahogany with pickups.

I own something similar, a Les Paul Special...same finish, etc. but the difference is it's flat top like an SG and not a carved top. If you're into metal, these stripped down ones are actually a good way to go. The lack of a maple top really lets the bottom end come out. Put a set of Zakk Wylde EMG's in it like I did, and you have a real beast at a decent price.
Quote by |Matt Dolan|
Simply because, there's nothing to it, the name is what you're paying for, an epiphone ultra would be better.

It isn't really that much better. And don't say 'CHANGE THE PICKUPS, IT'LL MAKE IT SOUND ACE!!!', yes, it may be true, but if you did that to a Gibby, it would still dominate the sound of the Epi.

And you aren't just paying for the name either, you're paying for the expensive woods, the expensive hardware, the people that hand carve these and all that stuff. And that's why they cost a lot.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
The question that still boggles me is this - why would anyone shell out $900 + bucks for an Epi Elitist when you could just save up a few more bucks and get a real Les Paul??
I'm not hashing Epis...I owned a few in my day and they were great but man, might as well get the real deal.
Quote by Scream And Fly
Um, no - it's not. It has nothing in common with an Epiphone. Don't ever listen to misinformed advice like this.

The Gibson Studio Les Paul is a fantastic guitar that kills any Epiphone in quality, tone, and playability. I don't care how many of you Epiphone fanboys jump in here, it's true.

Never heard of Japanese Epiphones, have you?
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
Quote by FloyDZeD

+1
And nobody tell me epiphones are bad for the price. Not only are they cheaper, but the headstocks are much less likely to break since it's scarf jointed on instead of being carved out of the same piece of wood.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Aug 9, 2008,
Anyone who says an Epiphone Les Paul would be better than that Vintage Mahogany is a nut. I OWN the Vintage Mahogany have PLAYED it next to an Epi LP Standard, and my Epiphone '56 Gold Top and the Gibson dominates both of them. It's got burstbucker pickups which sound incredible. It's a GIBSON, built in America. It's also very light which I love. It's miles better than the Epi. LP (and I PLAY Epiphones. I am not a Gibson fanboi.) and is right there with the regular Studio.
because it's black. or maybe it's red, the colour resolution on my computer is messed up so i can't tell.
HMMMMMMMMMMMM Reeeeeee hheeeeeeeeheeeeheeeeeellllly !!!!!!!!!! i dont think so gibson lower end guitars are crap!!!!!!! there actually are epi's that sound better than some of those gibson !!!! some are evenly matched because some epi's are a exact copy of the gibson!! basically with gibson ur just paying for the lettering in the headstock,gibson prices dont justify their quality to an extent. Everyone knows they are great guitars!!WHO CARES MY MODED SQUIER WUD TAKE OUT ANY STOCK FENDER AND ANY SOTCK GIBSON AND IT COST A ****TTTTLOAD LESs
Everybody has opinions/biases/preferences and these always affect one's buying decisions. If I had the scratch to fund Gibson purchases, I won't think twice about choosing it over an Epi.

Seriously, the look and feel of the Gibson gets better as you go up the chain/price, just as the look and feel of an Epi gets better as you go up the chain/price.

But, since most of us don't have the scratch to buy whatever we want and whenever we want, we have to consider our options wisely, assuming we're not getting any funding from our parents or grandparents or sugar mommies.

I vote for getting MIJ Epis (for the local Japanese market) or MIJ Gibson copies - the best Bang for the $$$ while we're still in the process of becoming millionaires or band members who are about to ravage nubile virgins.

Until we're able to fund the bad habits of our future groupies, we need to watch our budget, IMO.

Quote by hellraiserharry
HMMMMMMMMMMMM Reeeeeee hheeeeeeeeheeeeheeeeeellllly !!!!!!!!!! i dont think so gibson lower end guitars are crap!!!!!!! there actually are epi's that sound better than some of those gibson !!!! some are evenly matched because some epi's are a exact copy of the gibson!! basically with gibson ur just paying for the lettering in the headstock,gibson prices dont justify their quality to an extent. Everyone knows they are great guitars!!WHO CARES MY MODED SQUIER WUD TAKE OUT ANY STOCK FENDER AND ANY SOTCK GIBSON AND IT COST A ****TTTTLOAD LESs

you're either trolling or you're an idiot. one or the other.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
^^^ I say he's both. /
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Quote by RabbidWolf
Because it's a low end Gibson. Lower quality than the other stuff they make. You're probably paying more for the letters on the headstock than the quality they put into that guitar anyways.

+1
Quote by fretboarddragon
The question that still boggles me is this - why would anyone shell out $900 + bucks for an Epi Elitist when you could just save up a few more bucks and get a real Les Paul??
I'm not hashing Epis...I owned a few in my day and they were great but man, might as well get the real deal.

You've obviousy never tried an Elitist or you wouldn't be asking as it's nothing like the Chinese (or Korean) version youprobably owned before. (Book matched 2-piece mahogany body, quarter-sawn mahogany neck, real abalone & MOP inlays, GIbson made PUs and Grover HW w/ a real nice hardshell case included & lifetime warranty). I could've bought the Gibson Studio a few years ago for slightly more than the Elitist but I wasn't impressed with it as it seemed not nearly as nice as a LP standard. Now the Studio is 1/2 grand more than the Elitist anyway and a comparable Gibson Les Paul is more than twice the Elitist's cost here at $3200.00 CAD for the Standard LP. If you closed you eyes and I put one of Elitists into your hands I would challnge you to tell the difference.
Moving on.....
Quote by FloyDZeD

Yes, I have - and I've played them too. That's why I said most Epiphone are made in China. I know lots of people like to say, "you're just paying for the name", and that's true to some extent with Gibson, but there are differences in quality that are real.
Quote by Scream And Fly

hmm... nothing in common...

Except you know,

Mahogany body
Rosewood fingerboard
Tune-o-matic bridge
Alnico pups

you know... just the important stuff right?

idiot
Now do you believe in rock and roll?

Can music save your mortal soul?
Hey guitar-noob, your post really speaks volumes about how little you know.

Mahogany body: Epiphone's mahogany grades are lower than Gibson's. Further, they use multiple pieces in many parts and veneered finishes. But it's the same, right?

Rosewood fingerboard: Wow, you're such an expert. Since 98% of all guitars use rosewood fingerboards, I would think this aspect of construction would be moot.

Tune-o-matic bridge: Oh yeah, another part of the guitar that makes it just like a Gibson, right? I bet you didn't know there are differences in those bridges that actually matter, did you? Of course you didn't, or you wouldn't have made this post.

Alnico pickups: This one is my favorite. So you're saying all alnico magnet pickups are the same, right? LOL! Where do I even begin here? Go play a Gibson, then go play an Epiphone, that's all I can say.

Be careful who you call idiot, pal. You never know how much more experience the person on the other side of the keyboard may have than you. In this case, a lot - especially since I've been playing guitar longer than you've been alive.

Quote by xIckyThumpx

Except you know,

Mahogany body
Rosewood fingerboard
Tune-o-matic bridge
Alnico pups

idiot
Quote by xIckyThumpx

Except you know,

Mahogany body
Rosewood fingerboard
Tune-o-matic bridge
Alnico pups

idiot

Heh, what a monroe. Ever heard of wood grades? Higher grade wood = more money and better sound. Better hardware = more money and better performance.

There's a reason why cheap guitars are cheap.
Quote by Scream And Fly

epiphone fanboys? xDD an epiphone elitist would pwnz0rz it, gibsons quality control is slipping
Jackson DK2M Dinky Pro W/ EMG 81/85 18v Black
ESP LTD EC-1000 W/ EMG 81/60 See Thru Blue
Schecter C-1 HellRaiser W/ EMG 81TW/89 Black Cherry
Peavey 6505 W/ 2x12 V30
The Fadeds seem to also be lighter than regulars LPs, has any one else noticed this?
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Quote by hellraiserharry

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/thetrollclub

Please join this group.
all mahogany les paul first thing came to my mind was same sound as lp custom slap a couple emgs and get that zakk sound
american made gtar for 900 bucks
The Epiphone elitist series is very good and very comparable to a Gibson les paul studio, anyone who knows guitar will tell you once they play one. But honestly, they cost about the same as it is, so its not as if you're paying much less for the Epiphone, but still, quality guitars. The real ripoff for Gibsons are their standards, which are the studios with binding, and flamed maple cap (as opposed to a non-flame), which 1) cost over a grand more and 2) are only a few hundred dollars short of the far superior, custom shop 1958 plain top VOS les paul (the R8). Thats just my opinion, I don't give a **** about having a flame maple top, I'd take the R8 over the standard any day of the week.

As for the standard Epiphone line, anyone who claims that they are Gibsons with different letters on the headstock needs to learn about guitars and how they're built.

As for the vintage mahogany, stuff like the all mahogany body (no maple cap), lack of frills (binding, etc.) and using a satin finish as opposed to nitrocellulose (some people actually like the satin), will all make it cheaper.
^ Aren't R8's at least 3k new?

I'm not disagreeing with Standards being overpriced, but a Traditional Plus is about $2300...
Page 1 of 2