i've decided that i'd buy myself a bass wah after playing with my friends Dunlop 535Q guitar wah. I need help with figuring out what to try, and whats a good buy.

i've been looking into the dunlop bass wahs and the morley ones, but i want to know about other bass wahs, as these are two main ones i hear about.

i'd prefer a wah that does not turn off when you take your foot off it, one that will just sit in the on position, like the 535Q

otherwise i'll just buy the 535Q guitar wah, it sounded beastly through my bass anyway.

remember, i have only played one wah pedal, and i really liked it, but i want to know if there is anything better out there.
Last edited by flea_is_my_god at Aug 12, 2008,
Sounds like the Dunlop is just what you're after. I hate the switch on the Morley.
yeh but i wanna know about the bass wah pedals, and what else is on offer. i've really only just started looking into them
Dunlop Crybaby? I believe thats Flea's wah.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
I like my bass crybaby, but I wouldn't buy it again. Its cool, but for the price its limited on what it does. But if you want a wah, you want a wah. I would rather have a Q-Tron+
Quote by slaptasticdave
Dunlop Crybaby? I believe thats Flea's wah.

aparrently that one turns off if you take your foot of it
The Morley is also one where removing your foot turns it off.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Guitar effects work well with basses. Some guitar effects (Distortion, Whammy, Etc.) can sound a bit harsh on bass, but for the most part they work. Wah is definitely one that works.

Go and buy that one.
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
I have one of the morley bass wahs, and I'm extremely happy with it. Great tone, and I actually like that I dont have to play around switching it on first - as soon as I rock my foot I have wah.

Why is it exactly that you don't want one that switches off when you take your foot off? If you are planning to just leave it in one position then maybe the Qtron or Dr Q would be more what you are looking for. These are a similar effect but with no rocker pedal, the simply add more of the effect the harder you play.
i liked the sound of the wah just sitting in the on position, and the fact that i could take my foot off it and rock out with it staying on
Quote by flea_is_my_god
cliff burton used guitar wahs......

Yeah, and look how he ended up

I too suggest checking out the Bootzilla Wah/.Fuzz. Its got a few issues but it is a nice pedal overall and has one of the best wah tones that I have yet to hear.
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Funky Muthafucka Of The Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 To Join.
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by Caustic
Beast Within, you're awesome.
Quote by Beast_Within
Yeah, and look how he ended up

I too suggest checking out the Bootzilla Wah/.Fuzz. Its got a few issues but it is a nice pedal overall and has one of the best wah tones that I have yet to hear.

thank you, this is the kind of replies i had expected from the community

i heard the bootzilla one couldnt wah and fuzz at the same time though?
Quote by flea_is_my_god
thank you, this is the kind of replies i had expected from the community

i heard the bootzilla one couldnt wah and fuzz at the same time though?

It in fact can, however the fuzz is not very adjustable and can be quite overpowering at times. The pedal is built like a tank (as far as the casing goes), you may want to check some of the solder points though as one of my wires came loose after about 3 months of solid use (however this is the only problem I have had with the pedal and it was a quick and easy fix).
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Funky Muthafucka Of The Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 To Join.
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by Caustic
Beast Within, you're awesome.
I'm going through the same trouble as Flea Is My God

I dont want a spring loaded Wah because it makes the sound to fast and snappy for my liking

I would like a nice controlled Wah effect

and nobody be like this Dick in the guitar store today who wouldn't listen to what i want... made me play the Bass wah, and a Dynamic wah, after I told him I wanted the control, and I wasn't looking for envelope filter-y sounding things, ie Dunlop Bass wah 105Q or whatever

So what I suggest is to just go into a music store... be adamant about trying out Wah pedals, try them all, THEN make a decision.

explain why you want them... to use one as an EQ pedal is a reasonable desire, because they all probably think you want to be just like a guitarist and have a cool Wah pedal

if you like the one you're friend had try to get one of them, or compare all the others next to it

Personally, I'm going back to that music store... being adamant about trying all the wahs, be there for hours on end... then buy like... one pick... then leave

and buy the wah somewhere else if I found one I enjoyed
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"