Page 1 of 2
Has anybody had experiences with this head/cab combo? I'm thinking about this with a Boss SD-1 Overdrive and a Digitech MMX Metal Master, along with my Dunlop Original Cry baby . Any thoughts? My guitar is a Dean ZX (don't know if that matters...)
I have the Head and cab. I like it alot, but I mainly use my Fender Pro Reverb now. I definetly reccomend buying a EQ pedal along with it, to shape the tone to your liking. Overall, its a fantastic amp, and it for 5 watts, it really does Crank!

P.S. I have a SD-1 pedal also, its a pretty good combo.
Gear:

Guitars
Martin DSR
Taylor 214e
Fender Strat
Epiphone 335 Dot
Carlo Robelli Acoustic

Amps+Effects
1978 Fender Pro Reverb
Boss Blues Driver
Boss Super Overdrive
EHX Holy Grail
Boss DD-20 Giga Delay
Does it sound good at a lower volume level? I'm about to move into apartments and don't want angry neighbors
Quote by ahsvball2507
Does it sound good at a lower volume level? I'm about to move into apartments and don't want angry neighbors

Mine sounds good at lower vloumes but when I crank it its sound thin.
"Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel."- Jimi Hendrix
I have it,You will want a eq pedal very bad,and for overdriven sounds in apartment u will need a pedal ,sounds pretty good but pretty thin on the low volume. When u crank it would sound so full either. I was a using a les pual so somewhat surprised me
epi les pual custom
ad15vt > for sale
valve jr head and cab
bad monkey
What about a Marshall MG15MSII Micro Stack? I could spend another $50 and buy that instead of an EQ pedal, but does the sound compare to the Epi stack?
Quote by ahsvball2507
What about a Marshall MG15MSII Micro Stack? I could spend another $50 and buy that instead of an EQ pedal, but does the sound compare to the Epi stack?

No, dont buy that, its crap. Get the VJ.
"Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel."- Jimi Hendrix
Just checking...alright so far we have

Valve Jr Stack= $250
Boss GE-7 EQ pedal=$100
Boss SD-1 OD pedal=$60
Digitech Metal Master pedal=$90

so $500. I am selling my Spider III and a couple other things and that should bring in about $350, so I still have a ways to go...
instead of the metal master and EQ pedal just get an electro-harmonix metal muff
My Strat/Modded '69 RI Mustang
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
Fender Blues Jr. [JJ Power Tubes, White Grille, Warehouse Speakers Greenback Clone]
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
In order to use that as an EQ pedal I would just turn down the top boost and distortion right? Anybody else have some suggestions?
i have never ever played on a VJ but i know it has no gain at all, so with pedals and OD's and other effects could it possible pull of metal?
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
try out the blackheart little giant. Last I checked musiciansfriend had a blemished combo for about $250. Plus the tone is absolutely AMAZING. I just got mine today and love it. To make things better, it comes with an EQ. They were both made by the same guy too; I believe his name was Pyotr Belov.
You're looking for an amp to play metal?

The Valve Junior isn't the right answer.

Just buy yourself a Roland Cube 60. You won't need a distortion pedal, not the Metal master, or the SD-1. You'll have enough power to play with a band when you get to that point, and you'll be able to keep this amp turned low and still sounding good.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You're looking for an amp to play metal?

The Valve Junior isn't the right answer.

Just buy yourself a Roland Cube 60. You won't need a distortion pedal, not the Metal master, or the SD-1. You'll have enough power to play with a band when you get to that point, and you'll be able to keep this amp turned low and still sounding good.

i have to admit, the Cubes are good, but i have been using SS since i started (almost 6 years ago), and im ready to move up in the rankings. im lookin for tube. I've had my eye on the Peavey XXX combo, so that seems like the best choice so far.

anyway, back to the VJ, since you say it isnt good for metal, what is it ok for, good for, and great for?
Ibanez AEL 12-string

Last edited by bjovi400 at Aug 9, 2008,
The Cube 20 is awful.

60 watts solid state isn't really that much, since you don't have to turn it up, you know.

I just always think it's good to have enough power to play in a band on tap. Otherwise, I would feel like I had wasted money. Shouldn't the aim of every guitarist be to get out of the bedroom and on stage?
Well i'm a ways away from band playing. And as bjovi400 said, i'm looking for some tubes
I'm not looking for metal, I just want to be able to play clean, bluesy overdriven stuff, and some good distortion all in one
peavey ValveKing 112. covers exactly what you mentioned.

or the Classic 30 if you want even more blues and classic rock capabilities
Ibanez AEL 12-string

It has a wide range of distortion and was highly recommended in a few places I looked. Do you have any recommendations for a good distortion pedal that can get a little on the heavy side if needed?
and what range do you have? look used. there just as good.

it may be outta your price range, but i dont see the point in buying an amp for cheap that requires a bunch of pedals to make it good. you can always save up a bit more and get something that covers all, or most of your genre's with the amp it self
Ibanez AEL 12-string

Last edited by bjovi400 at Aug 9, 2008,
Listen to the man.. he's right.

If you want a METAL tone coming out of a low wattage tube, it just isn't going to happen without some sort of digital distortion.

In which case you ought to get a decent SS. If you don't plan to be playing in a band, maybe you should just get the Cube 30..
I've only had 3 pedals hooked up to my Vj. A TS 808 which was just to much and i sold it. The 2nd is the MXR 108 10 band EQ which i recommend for any thing pretty much not just a Vj. Now the 3rd is the POD XT Live and it's just awesome. Classic rock isn't a problem, metal isn't a problem provided it isn't death metal. Only concern is the POD is probably out of your price range. try some of the cheaper pedals already recommended. In the end it will be better then an SS amp.

edit: is this metal enough? there are several.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfM2I4eutAs
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Last edited by scott58 at Aug 9, 2008,
I can get anything from that to nice bluesy tones. It's worth getting the Vj then trying different pedals to your taste. Look around youtube there is all kinds of different tones to the valve junior. The point is that head can handle about anything.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Coheed and Cambria is my top. Then maybe some RHCP, something similar to Buckcherry's Next To You, some good ska tones like Reel Big Fish and Less than Jake. Limelight by Rush. The list goes on and on...
C30.

/my posts.

lol
Ibanez AEL 12-string

I would love to get that but for now I don't have the funds...but i'll keep that in mind...
Quote by ahsvball2507
Coheed and Cambria is my top. Then maybe some RHCP, something similar to Buckcherry's Next To You, some good ska tones like Reel Big Fish and Less than Jake. Limelight by Rush. The list goes on and on...

Coheed is high gain American.
RHCP is British distortion.
Don't listen to Buckcherry, or Reel Big Fish....
Less Than Jake use Dual Rectos, I believe.
Limelight features Alex Lifeson playing through a Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face, I believe.

All pretty different tones....I think a modeling amp like the Roland Cube 60, Vox AD50VT, or the Line 6 Flextone is for you, d00d.
Rush's guitarist uses a signature Hughes and Kettner MKII triamp model amp made for him.

Obviously out of your price range though, $3500
OH, that's right, the Moving pictures album was released in the 70s or 80s.. i forgot
/threadjacking lol. And I currently have a Line 6 Spider III 75W so I already have a modeling amp it's just not really doing it for me. Please explain the difference between American, British and all that. And by the way, I think Reel Big Fish is a fun band to listen to, and I only like the one Buckcherry song. You want to hear some good music look up the band Mardo. Why they're not big i'll never know...
Page 1 of 2