Why is my amp not dead???
I'm not complaining about it, of course, but i just read the Q&A amp thingy, (near the top) and i'm pretty sure that my amp should have died 50 times already. it's a Vase Trendsetter 40, an Aussie valve amp (with compression, what the **** is that?? and a push-pull treble knob-thingy). it is at least 20 years old, never had its valves changed, was owned by my uncle, who used it about 3 times, then my father, who used it (full noise) almost every day for 10 years, then left it in a shed, with the wet, cold, hot, rats, wasps, and all the other good stuff, then i got it when i started playin, and of course it hasnt been turned down since, used for about an hour and a half each day for another 2 years, and i'm wondering, why the **** is it not dead yet??? and more importantly, does anyone know when Vase will start production again, i'll buy one of their new ones when they do.
I'd like to see a picture of this thing!

I find older products are built better, and it can be generally said for a lot of things.

For instance, my grandmother still has the same washing machine she bought in 1971, and it works fine. (That seemed like a bad example, but it's true)
It's funny how sometimes stuff that is treated carelessly ends up lasting.
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
Oh. theres a picture of it.
i hope you flogged that off me page, not took the photo yourself.
well.
it sounds ****in awesome, fully cranked. ACDC type stuff with an SG or strat copy
sounds awful quiet, (got a 'click' from the electric fence, and a lot of crackle-hum ****)
the cabinet is... old. its got a 10 inch speaker, and a 4 inch speaker (that doesnt work), and a hole, for a 6? " speaker. it also has many spiders, and much carpet.
and i dont know about in their prime, cos the company died before i was born (im 17), but apparently theyre starting again soon, so i'll get one then, and retire this beast
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
I'd like to see a picture of this thing!

I find older products are built better, and it can be generally said for a lot of things.

For instance, my grandmother still has the same washing machine she bought in 1971, and it works fine. (That seemed like a bad example, but it's true)

Yea people built things to last back then... unlike today - building things out of the cheapest materials and using the cheapest labor knowing that when the product breaks in a year or two the consumer will just run out and buy another one!

And I may be wrong about this, but I heard once that tubes back then were designed to last pretty much the lifetime of the amp whereas today's tubes wear out in a couple years (depending on how often and loud the amp is played).
Sometimes things just last. Sometimes valves will last for 50 years, sometimes you're lucky to get 3 years. Just be happy it's still working well and look after it Good to see vintage gear getting used and not just shoved in a shed.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
haha, pretty cool amp man. I was seriously wondering how they managed to fit tubes into such a compact unit, but just read the tubes go thru the chassis to minimize height. I would have balked at a design like that, but it's obviously withstood the test of time. Cool stuff. Get some clips up of that badboy.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Hey man tube amp design can take a beating, its not as complex as ss circuitry. Look after that beast, old amps are the holy grail for a lot of guys.
yer, she sounds awesome (although i cant play to good through it, or anything, for that matter)
Quote by texico11
If the tone all comes from the head, you might consider buying a new speaker though. And dont replace the tubes untill the're broken. Like somebody said, old tubes seem to last better, no point getting new ones that will brake.

I dunno about not changing the tubes, sure keep them around, but tubes break down in a physical process to produce sound. Their lifespan depends a lot on construction, materials, and luck, but they are still designed to wear out eventually. Letting them go this long, and just waiting for them to pop doesn't seem wise IMO. At least the power tubes. When tubes go, they can take out other parts of the circuit if it's a severe short or some other catastrophic failure. They built them far better back then when they were in wide use, and they used better process/materials, some of which aren't allowed today, but they were still meant to be changed as a maintenance item.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Old things we're built to last as manufacturing costs were higher then what they are now(after adjusted inflation)

I still have an original Gameboy, the grey ones since then I have gone through A gameboy colour and a gameboy advance that just died on me. Mind you they died a few yeas ago when I was like 13 but still, my original 80's gameboy still works perfectly.