Heya, i was just wondering as the title implies, is economy picking a good way to better your playing or just a nifty gimmick? and what are some of the best ways to go about practicing it?

Cheers for the answers|

J.D
Gear

Schecter Omen 6
Fender 20watt
Tanglewood Acoustic
Boss MT-2 Distortion Pedal
Quote by TollBoothWorker
Not a gimmick. Its a great essential technique. There are some good lessons on this site.

Not really 'essential'. I can't do it well because I'm a strict alternate picker. It's a technique I've never bothered to learn because I would never have a need for it. However, I respect anybody who can economy pick well, just as I would any alternate picker.

That said, it's simply a personal preference, although both can yield very different results. Economy picking is simply only using inside picking, while alternate picking utilizes both inside and outside picking. One is generally smoother and the other is more rhythmically pleasing and more percussive in nature.
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
yea, alternet picking will make you able to play faster.
or as you call it economy picking
Quote by selibucaz
yea, alternet picking will make you able to play faster.
or as you call it economy picking

No, they are two completely different techniques. Read my above post.
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
Ibanez JS1000
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
Quote by Iron_Dude
Not really 'essential'. I can't do it well because I'm a strict alternate picker. It's a technique I've never bothered to learn because I would never have a need for it. However, I respect anybody who can economy pick well, just as I would any alternate picker.

Conversely, I'm almost a pure economy picker; a lot of it is personal preference, but make sure you give them both a try. More than likely one will feel more comfortable for you and will be more offensive.
Quote by :-D
Conversely, I'm almost a pure economy picker; a lot of it is personal preference, but make sure you give them both a try. More than likely one will feel more comfortable for you and will be more offensive.

Same here. Economy picking is just the way I started picking when I picked the guitar up. It's comfortable for me and so far it has worked. I've tried alternate picking and it feels a little too foreign. Perhaps I'll put some practice towards it someday. Btw D, have you heard anything from BGC through a pm or anything? I haven't seen her on the forum in over a week?
Quote by rockadoodle
Same here. Economy picking is just the way I started picking when I picked the guitar up. It's comfortable for me and so far it has worked. I've tried alternate picking and it feels a little too foreign. Perhaps I'll put some practice towards it someday. Btw D, have you heard anything from BGC through a pm or anything? I haven't seen her on the forum in over a week?

Nope, I was actually wondering earlier today where she could be. No idea.

Economy picking was comfortable for me at first, as well; I do a little bit of strict alternate picking but largely it's economy and I do better with that. Granted, the economy picking's still crap as well, but it's much easier to work on and develop for me.
how do you do economy picking? say you want to pick the low E string 3 times, you pick from the A string to E? or how do you do it
"My jedi powers are far more superior than yours"
Alternate picking is close enough to economy picking anyways, I wouldn't call them two completely different techniques. No point really in just alternate picking if you can economy pick.

Quote by RabbidWolf
how do you do economy picking? say you want to pick the low E string 3 times, you pick from the A string to E? or how do you do it

In that case you would just alternate pick like regular. The only time you break the alternate picking motion is when you are moving up or down a string and it is natural to throw in an up/down stroke to make a smoother motion.
Ain't nothin wrong, ain't nothin right, and still I sit and lie awake all night...
Quote by rockadoodle
Btw D, have you heard anything from BGC through a pm or anything? I haven't seen her on the forum in over a week?

Likewise, where's Metal4all?

and what are some of the best ways to go about practicing it?

- Major Scale 3nps patterns
- There's a pentatonic lick in Sweet Child O Mine that uses it too.
Last edited by mdc at Aug 9, 2008,
Quote by Iron_Dude
No, they are two completely different techniques. Read my above post.

Not really, they're just slight variations onthe same principle - technically economy picking is a refinement of alternate picking.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Not really, they're just slight variations onthe same principle - technically economy picking is a refinement of alternate picking.

I still consider them different. One is in favor of strict inside picking, one is in favor if both inside and outside picking. However, I'm only talking about changing strings. Of course you are going to be alternate picking when playing on a single string.

I've always looked at the wrist as a sort of piston. The up and down motion is the result of a circular movement of the muscles inside of the wrist. If you decide to economy pick, then it would be like putting the piston in reverse. I've never felt comfortable doing that, but to each his own I guess.

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
Ibanez JS1000
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
They are completely different things. I use either depending on what I want to say.

The thing about economy picking is that it only works when you move from one
string to another AND your previous pick stroke is going in the right direction. If
you wanted to employ economy picking everywhere you could it would require a
LOT of thinking in the general case --- unless you work out the exact pick strokes
in advance.

The way I use both is that there are certain rules you can follow where EVERYTHING
is a guaranteed economy pick from string to string. That's where I'll use economy
because I don't have to think about it. Everything else I alternate pick. For the
same reason -- I don't have to think about it.

My advice is to learn alternate picking really well first because it's something you're
going to end up using a lot more no matter what you do.
Banned right now, I think.

Yeah, he was trying to get unbanned, but I guess that didn't exactly work out :\
Use which ever feels natural and easier to you. Maybe you could experiment with the other to get an idea of how it feels and if you like it.
You are like a hurricane
There's calm in your eye.
And I'm gettin' blown away
To somewhere safer
where the feeling stays.
I want to love you but
I'm getting blown away.
Banned right now, I think.

How come? He seemed like a friendly enough character,
try tilting the pick so that there is less pressure on it and hit the string at an angle as it allows you to pick quicker. there is a lesson on it in the lessons category
Quote by Death_Bat_6661
Heya, i was just wondering as the title implies, is economy picking a good way to better your playing or just a nifty gimmick? and what are some of the best ways to go about practicing it?

Cheers for the answers|

J.D

Btw, I wouldn't dare dream of telling you what kind of pick to use, but a common denominator between guys that "pick", and guys that "pick well" seems to be a heavy pick.

So basically one which doesn't flex at all when it connects with the string.

I use a 2mm Stubby for everything now.
Quote by Orbit91
Go for a .73 Tortex, or just a plain .71.

Yeah, .73s are thin and stiff as hell.

And mdc, metal4all was banned for posting the link to a shock site. I looked at his history, and he must have deleted it, but not before he could be banned.

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
Ibanez JS1000
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
Quote by Iron_Dude
Yeah, .73s are thin and stiff as hell.

And mdc, metal4all was banned for posting the link to a shock site. I looked at his history, and he must have deleted it, but not before he could be banned.

Heehee, just the way I like my picks :P